Cash Price ? Any Difference ?

/ Cash Price ? Any Difference ? #1  

Dog Gone It

Bronze Member
Tractor
L2501 (4wd)
I plan on going to a dealer within the next few weeks. He carries several different riding lawnmower brands. The one Im interested in is a Cub Cadet. I know all dealers are different in how they price their equip however my question is there normally any wiggle room on the prices ? Would I be out of line to offer cash for a 3500.00 lawnmower if they would cover taxes ? This is just a close example of what Im asking in this price range.
Thanks

/ Cash Price ? Any Difference ?
I plan on going to a dealer within the next few weeks. He carries several different riding lawnmower brands. The one Im interested in is a Cub Cadet. I know all dealers are different in how they price their equip however my question is there normally any wiggle room on the prices ? Would I be out of line to offer cash for a 3500.00 lawnmower if they would cover taxes ? This is just a close example of what Im asking in this price range.
Thanks

Did I say the wrong thing ?
Is this a disrespectful idea ?

/ Cash Price ? Any Difference ? #3  
Sure, you can always ask if they'd take an "offer" for cash, as such-a-such money.
It's not a crime to ask, but if you get shot down quick, don't take any offense. Find out where the agreeable price is and then? That's that.

/ Cash Price ? Any Difference ? #4  
Nothing wrong with haggling on price. But I wouldn't approach it by asking them to cover the taxes. That can get them in trouble.

Sure, you can always ask if they'd take an "offer" for cash, as such-a-such money.
It's not a crime to ask, but if you get shot down quick, don't take any offense. Find out where the agreeable price is and then? That's that.

Thanks kcflhrc. I wont be offended. I know that I can ask and then I would get my answer. Ive never bought a brand new mower before and I thought there would be someone on here with some dealer buying/selling experience that could tell me what to expect.

/ Cash Price ? Any Difference ? #6  
I bought my new Toro Zero Turn On Line at Wise Sales. No sales tax and free shipping. The no sales tax is because I live outside of the state where they do business. You might call it a tax loop hole. But it's quite legal. There are several on line mower sites. Even a Cub Cadet one if that's what you really want.

Nothing wrong with haggling on price. But I wouldn't approach it by asking them to cover the taxes. That can get them in trouble.

Thanks kcflhrc. Sounds like a good idea.
Thanks for all the help.

/ Cash Price ? Any Difference ? #8  
Just check the warranty terms and whether the original dealer has to be the one to work on it or if you have a local dealer nearby who despite not making the sale, is going to be OK with working on it without getting his/her nose out of joint.

We come across this all the time in NZ. Often, other markets have the same items far cheaper than here, even when all shipping and landing costs are counted, but unless there is a global warranty, we are stuffed if anything goes wrong. It would have to be a major cost difference to be worth taking the risk.

Last edited:
   / Cash Price ? Any Difference ? #9  
Usually a dealer is willing to negotiate if he knows it's going to be a cash deal and not financed. Even if you negotiate a better price for cash you still have to pay the sales tax. If you buy out of state you would not have to pay sales tax technically, but when you fill out your state income tax forms at the end of the year one of the questions asked on the form is "Did you purchase anything online from out of state and not pay sales tax". Then you are supposed to claim what the price you paid so your state can get the tax.
Fortunately your buying a lawn tractor and not something that has to be registered with DMV. I went through this a few years ago when I bought a trailer out of state. I did not pay sales tax to the state where I bought it but I did have to pay sales tax on the trailer to my state when I registered it.

/ Cash Price ? Any Difference ? #10  
The idea of "no tax" is just another way to put something on sale. If it's taxable, the tax will get paid based on the actual selling price. I would ask what discount is available and ask for more. If it's a model that has a large inventory or a large margin, you should get a lot more discount than the tax.