Buying Advice Scag is crap Should have bought a Kubota ZTR

/ Scag is crap Should have bought a Kubota ZTR
I THINK THE END IS NEAR

Wednesday the Mower Shop calls and says they are still trying to get the mower to repeat the no-start condition.
I tell them I will pick the mower up, mow with it and get it to the point of "no-start". Then I will bring the mower to them in that condition. I did just that.

YESTERDAY, I'm nearly too excited to write this............I got on the mower and mowed about 35 minutes in the heat of the day and then drive the mower back onto my trailer.
Day temp is about 95°. I go have a cold drink and about 15 minutes later, I turn the key to start the engine, and wouldn't you know it, the **** mower starts. So, I back the mower off the trailer and drive it around for about another 20 minutes with throttle wide open. I drive the mower back on the trailer and kill it. Go into the house and cool off. 15 minutes later I go out and set down on the seat and turn the key. WALA ! Bingo! Not a **** thing happens, no sound from the starter. Finally I can take this mower into the dealer shop and show the shop mechanic I am not crazy. You see once the no-start condition begins with this engine, it is not going to start until the next morning.

Shop is about 20 minutes away and I can not get there fast enough. I arrive at the shop, mechanic immediately comes over to my mower, sits down and turns the key.
At the very moment he turned that key, I told him if that engine starts I am going to drive that SOB right onto the Interstate Hwy and let a loaded SEMI rig run smooth over that mower and will never look back. Well, anyway, the mower did not start and the mechanic quickly ran through his checks for a no start. Don't know why he was rushing, he had until the next morning. lol

After a few checks with nothing working, I said "try by passing the starter solenoid, jump it off. Mechanic gets a screwdriver and crosses two points on the starter and BAMB ! engine starts.
I have been asking them to check that starter solenoid for 3 months I know. However I should have tried to do it myself but the to points to cross are pretty much hidden.

I hope I will have a good mower soon, and not get tempted again to sell the mower. The shop ordered a new starter and solenoid. (no-charge to me) :cool2:

SHOP Calls

Last edited:
   / Scag is crap Should have bought a Kubota ZTR #72  
I had a 70 Chevelle that did that to me and I chased that f---er for a week till I found out the coil would short out inside the starter when hot. Next day it would start, just like yours.

/ Scag is crap Should have bought a Kubota ZTR #73  
"Shop calls".
And says what?

BTW, glad to hear you're making progress!
Can't believe the shop is so incompetent, it's incredible.:confused2:

/ Scag is crap Should have bought a Kubota ZTR #74  
There's only one problem. The solenoid is energized by something else, so it still may not be the problem.

There's only one problem. The solenoid is energized by something else, so it still may not be the problem.

Oh please don't burst my "bubble" Tim just when I think I am making progress :(

/ Scag is crap Should have bought a Kubota ZTR #76  
Yeah tcar, it doesn't sound right to me either. If you can energize the solenoid and everything works the problem would be up stream from there.
Rather like (similar to) the issues that Mare is having with her MF.

I hope it takes care of your problem gmc. But making a raise hoping to fill an inside straight is usually a bad bet.

gmc, what kind of checks did the 'mechanic' do? Did he use a volt meter or a test light?

Yeah tcar, it doesn't sound right to me either. If you can energize the solenoid and everything works the problem would be up stream from there.
Rather like (similar to) the issues that Mare is having with her MF.

I hope it takes care of your problem gmc. But making a raise hoping to fill an inside straight is usually a bad bet.

gmc, what kind of checks did the 'mechanic' do? Did he use a volt meter or a test light?

Mechanics had already gone through all the safety switches and a few other componets. I saw him use an ohm meter. Also, a Scag rep had assisted on the diagnosis, weeks before, on analyzing problems with this mower. The starter was about the only thing left to suspect.

/ Scag is crap Should have bought a Kubota ZTR #78  
Let me try again. The no start problem when hot started when all the safety switches were added to mowers. (All Mowers - Repeat - All Mowers) 12 plus volts must be received at the starter solenoid to activate the solenoid when the ignition key is turned. The safety switches get hot, and do not pass 12 volts to the starter solenoid. Jumping the solenoid at the starter will insure a start each time and is also an indicator that a true 12 volt signal is not being transmitted to the starter solenoid when the ignition switch is turned to the start position.

To correct this a relay is incorporated into the starting circuit. (Five post or prong relay wiring description- The five post or prong relay will have on the back, posts or prongs labeled 30, 85, 86, 87 and 87a) (The 87a post or prong is not used) The wire from the ignition switch goes to post 85 on the the relay instead of the starter, post number 86 of the relay is grounded and a 12 volt fused power source is connected to post 87 on the relay and then a wire is run from post 30 on the relay to the starter solenoid. Now when the ignition switch is turned to the start position, the weak voltage signal is sent to the relay instead of the starter, causing the relay to collapse and send a true 12 volts plus to the starter solenoid.

CubCadetStarterWiring

My recommendation to you would be print out the instructions and the PDF and take them to your dealer and have him incorporate the relay into your starting circuit. Relays cost less than ten dollars at most auto supply store and can be purchased at a Radio Shack for much less. Or you can go to a Cub Cadet Dealer and request relay # 925-1375 if you want to spend some big bucks.

/ Scag is crap Should have bought a Kubota ZTR #79  
That's what I'm having hard time with gator. And am betting against this problem being a bad solenoid.
Diagnosing a bad starter or solenoid is such simple operation. Go directly to the energizing wire on the solenoid, turn key to start. Not 12 volts, issues in circuit. Yes 12 volts and no function, starter/solenoid bad.
Why is this shop having such a hard time with this simple problem?

As for the safety switches, I was told they may get corrosion and not allow the switch to work. A heated safety switch was not discussed.

In any event, since my mower has a warranty, I will let the shop replace the Starter and solenoid and go from there. They supposedly checked every other part that would cause the no-start.

I will certainly post the results.