Never owned a compact utility tractor, yet

/ Never owned a compact utility tractor, yet #1  

Kan1ck

Tractor
none yet
My first post to this forum, some members could possibly remember me from another forum, if so how ya been doing?
Here is my dilemma. My wife and I are thinking of putting a bid on a nice house on a 1 acre lot that is mostly lawn.
The property has some issues in that there is a nice sized (15' X 24') oval shaped, in ground swimming pool that is basically just the derelict remains of what may have once been an asset. But it appears that the pool has not been maintained in who knows how long. And the property has not been occupied in nearly a year, so I'm thinking that the critical plumbing is likely shot from freeze damage, along with the filter and pump. Bottom line on the pool is, my wife and I have no interest in owning a pool, and would just as soon demolish the structure as a pool and use the concrete deck surrounding the pool as a patio of sorts with a vegetable garden where the pool was.
Right now I don't even know if the pool is of Gunite or other concrete construction, or if it is a vinyl drop in liner type pool because the water in the pool is forest green and full of debris, and when we first looked at the house one day last week, we only had a short amount of time to spend because of other appointments. So, that is the part about the pool.
There is also what was once a Koi pond. Now it is completely full of Cattails and water lilies and all sorts of debris. We are also not interested in a Koi pond.
And then there is the issue of some big Cedar trees and a Hemlock tree on the property. The Cedar trees are all damaged from a storm splitting the trunks and twisting limbs to the breaking point. The Hemlock tree is dead. All of the trees will have to be taken down. There is a Cedar stump still in the ground that appears to be many years old that would need to come out too.
There is also what might possibly have once been someone's idea of a "rock garden" that is now completely overgrown with brush and small trees.
Another eyesore (to me) is that the owners seem to have cultivated a "cane break" to somewhat shield (I suppose) the swimming pool on one side. That cane has demonstrated its invasive character and spread out of control far beyond any original planting site.
Now to get to the meat of this thread, having set the scenery in place.
I told me wife that if we buy this property, the pool, the Koi pond, the damaged and dead trees, the rock garden, and the cane break.............will all have to go.
And I explained to her that we would need to buy a backhoe/FEL to do the work.
Well, it seemed like I had started World War III or something. Until I showed her what I meant by backhoe/FEL on the John Deere website. After showing her the Deere 2025R with mid mount mower deck and going over the amenities, she was like "Yowsa, that would be nice" (whew!)
What I have in mind is something on the order of a compact utility tractor like a John Deere 2025R, or a Kubota BX 25D, decked out with quick attach hoe and front loader and a 60" mid mount mower.
Do you folks think that I have lost my mind or are these machines (or other suggestions welcome) capable of doing the projects for me? I am very open to suggestions aimed at the used market as I am a quite capable mechanic of 45 years + experience and still work it every day. I'm just getting old and will retire from the job in a couple years (I hope) and I want to be able to do some heavy duty "piddling around the property" if everything works out for us.:)

/ Never owned a compact utility tractor, yet #2  
Sounds to me any compact or Subcompact would suit your needs. Likely more the subcompact, smaller, lighter and not as expensive. But likely the price isn't a huge issue if your already looking at new machines. Thats my 2 cents.

/ Never owned a compact utility tractor, yet #3  
Tbh with only one acre of land, the best thing for the kind of work would be to rent a mini excavator for a month or so

/ Never owned a compact utility tractor, yet #4  
If you can afford the backhoe, go for it. They are so useful for all around the house. With all the work you have outlined, you have more than a month of work to do and getting that cane brake back in shape(or gone) will require several passes at digging out the shoots till you get all the rhizomes out so you are looking at at least a year to get that project complete.

I assumed that you would just fill in the pool and leave the concrete in place (maybe break off the top 12" or so of the perimeter) so that is a lot of dirt to haul in and move, and concrete spoils to get rid of.

I think I would look at the BX25D for all the task that your have and then the mid-mount mower would be good for maintaining the lawn when it is finished. You don't need a compact tractor to do what you have outlined, a SCUT will handle that job fine and still be usable for a lawnmower when the heavy stuff is gone. See Cherokee 140's post on "the life of a BX25D" for all the stuff the little tractor can do.

/ Never owned a compact utility tractor, yet
Tbh with only one acre of land, the best thing for the kind of work would be to rent a mini excavator for a month or so

Thanks for the replies.

Well, if I viewed the whole thing as having just a few specific tasks to do, and a definite time frame to work within, and do nothing else but work on those specific tasks until they were completed, renting a mini excavator would be the route to go.
But the reason I want to purchase my own multitasking machine is because I don't want to be handcuffed to several projects that absolutely must be completed within a short time period.
Though we are interested in buying this property to live on (and it will likely be the last place we will own before our lives are over, if all goes well), I would rather own the machinery and use it to work on the projects as I choose to do them, instead of being forced to pursue them at a slave's pace just because I have to return a rental unit by a certain deadline.

@ Dillier23, I am only beginning to look at any machines to "feel the waters" about what is available. The reason I showed my wife something new on the Deere website was to explain to her that I was not talking about a large, dedicated backhoe/loader, but a smaller and versatile machine that can quickly be tasked to mowing the lawn as well as some fairly serious "ground engaging" work too.
New is not out of the question, but it is certainly not what I am aiming for.
Renting and buying new are options I place toward the bottom on a list of ways to get it done. Contracting the work out to 3rd parties is not even on the list as I am (always have been) a DIY type of person.

/ Never owned a compact utility tractor, yet #6  
Contracting the work out to 3rd parties is not even on the list as I am (always have been) a DIY type of person.

After this my point is moot but I am gonna say it anyhow

An experienced backhoe operator on a full size rig will make short order of all you have listed in a day or two for less $ than you are gonna sip on fuel on something like a BX which will take months or years to accomplish.

Of course a Case 580 will not mow your lawn lol

/ Never owned a compact utility tractor, yet
Even better, I am a somewhat experienced backhoe operator. I ran an old Ford 4500 hoe for the private owner on his land for 3 years doing projects he needed done. Built a big pond and did some septic drain field work he contracted to dig for a builder friend of his. Later, I rented a compact backhoe/FEL for an ambitious project at the house we live in now. This project was to install a gravity drain system for the cellar of the house, which we found out after the drought ended and the rain came, would be prone to standing water 12" deep after a storm. The house is notched into a hillside. It had a cellar that was accessed by going through a 36" high door at grade level and descending 4 steps to the concrete cellar floor. That arrangement was like a big bowl that would fill with ground water after a hard rain and took a couple of days time to drain out after the rain stopped. I dug out an area outside the cellar crawl through door, all the way down below the footing and shot a 3" PVC pipe to intersect with a sump cavity that I made in the concrete floor under the house. Then the 3" PVC pipe ran 80' downhill in a trench I dug next to the driveway.
The area outside the cellar door was then enlarged to about 15' X 10'. I installed a drain culvert to carry away rain and runoff from the gutter downspout to a concrete trough I made above the filled in trench next to the driveway.
Then I poured concrete outside the cellar crawl through door. The last thing I did was knock out the small 36" high by 28" wide crawl through door and replace it with a walk through door.
The photos show some of the work I did (and I mean "I did" with my 2 hands).

Attachments

• 200610181212.jpg
    200610181212.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 178
  • 200610181213.JPG
    200610181213.JPG
    706.8 KB · Views: 158
  • 200610181214.JPG
    200610181214.JPG
    825.4 KB · Views: 175
  • 2007112520061123Updated Comb.#1.jpg
    2007112520061123Updated Comb.#1.jpg
    924.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 2007112520061123Updated Comb.#2.jpg
    2007112520061123Updated Comb.#2.jpg
    876.8 KB · Views: 139
  • 2007112520061123Updated Comb.#3.jpg
    2007112520061123Updated Comb.#3.jpg
    961.2 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_5214.jpg
    IMG_5214.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 147
   / Never owned a compact utility tractor, yet #8  
If it was me I would get the tractor with loader and use the money a backhoe would cost to rent a bigger backhoe for a day or two when needed.
Ron

/ Never owned a compact utility tractor, yet #9  
My property is only slightly bigger than yours at 2.5 acres and I bought a 2720 last year because I knew I would be using it for a number of projects big and small just like you. I also agree that it's nice to have it available whenever I want/need it rather than rushing through a project with a rental or hiring someone else to do it when I'd rather do it myself. It is a lot of money to spend on these machines but it sounds like you already have an idea of what you think you want and I'm not one do discourage you from getting it. When my wife and I bought our house 15 years ago it was very neglected too, as was the yard around it. It would have been nice to have the tractor and chipper back then but we could never afford it. I'd say you could probably do all of those jobs you described with a SCUT because your lot is relatively small and some guys on this site manage a lot more than that with their SCUTs but like I said, if you want the 2025 with the attachments because you think it'll work, I think you'll be glad you did it. That particular tractor is a lot like mine and I have no problem doing everything I need to do. I can only imagine how much better it would be with a backhoe hanging off it. Good luck with all that work and post some pictures for us while you're doing it. We like the pictures.

/ Never owned a compact utility tractor, yet #10  
My perspective is if you want to be able to "putter," then get a tractor and at your leisure putter with your tractor knocking out jobs. Get the backhoe too as it will allow you to remove stumps or live trees at a faster pace.

You'll also be able to "putter" on your neighbors projects if you're a friendly chatty type because they will all see your new tractor and suddenly think about things they'd like to have knocked out.