New here and maybe off topic.

/ New here and maybe off topic. #31  
Maybe then you can start work on that country golf course. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ New here and maybe off topic. #32  
i just retired 2months and 4 days ago(actully plant closed and i am on unemployment) but i will be 62 in 3 weeks so i consider myself RETIRED. DON'T KNOW HOW I GOT ANY THING DONE when i was working. MABEY WE SHOULD START A THREAD JUST FOR RTIRED FOLKS OR SOON TO BE,RETIRED , OR THOSE THAT WISH THEY WERE RETIRED? opps guess that covers everybody already here? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif loving it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ New here and maybe off topic. #33  
Don't know how you got anything done while you were working, huh? Frank, you took the words right out of my mouth, only you said them better.

/ New here and maybe off topic. #34  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'll bet you are counting down the days )</font>

What, me count down the days? What kind of government employee do you think I am!?

Actually, I did have a countdown clock on my computer that showed the months, days, hours, minutes, and seconds, but IT made me take it off. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Maybe then you can start work on that country golf course. )</font>

Slamfire -

I don't want to start work on that country golf course - just play it! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Actually though, a new 9 hole course opened up a few miles from where I'm located this past summer. The owners plan on adding a second 9 holes within a year or two. I've already talked to them about working part time (hopefully with my tractor!) for them for playing priveledges once I retire. Couldn't beat that, could you. Get to work AND play at one of your favorite things!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ New here and maybe off topic. #35  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I've already talked to them about working part time (hopefully with my tractor!) for them for playing priveledges once I retire. Couldn't beat that, could you. Get to work AND play at one of your favorite things!! )</font>

Gary, take their money too! I worked on a course during summers from college. Free greens fees and cart was one of the perks, and you got a pay check. What a country! I had a good time working on the course, though you do tend to get tired mowing the rough.

Nick

/ New here and maybe off topic. #36  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( though you do tend to get tired mowing the rough.
)</font>

I don't think that I'd get tired............

............since I spend most of my time there anyway when I'm playing! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ New here and maybe off topic. #37  
I would like to add one thing. A 30 HP tractor can vary a great deal in size. I have the Kubota B-7800 which is a 30 HP and weighs around 1700 pounds (only the tractor with no implements) and then the Kubota L-3130 is right around 30 HP but weighs over 3300 pounds. Just my 2 cents. You should check out Corriher as they have some nice sales on New Holland and a few other brands. They can be found at the link listed. I have heard several people say they were less expensive by several thousand even after shipping.

http://www.corimpco.com/?source=tractorpoint]Corriher[/url]

/ New here and maybe off topic. #38  
First- welcome to the board! This is one of the most friendly, professional, discussion sites on the net. There are lots of folks here who will provide a lot of excellent insights and advice.

Just a couple of points:
It's already been said, but I think that 30 HP is not nearly enough to drag 36 inch logs. I was dealing with a 10 inch fallen tree a couple of weeks ago and they are very heavy.

Hydro versus gears. I cannot think of one chore that is easier or quicker with a gear tractor. I used a gear tractor for quite a long while and switched to a Kubota L4330 with a hydro tranny and have been very pleased with the simplicity of operation and how fast I can change direction when doing loader work, backing up to hook up an implement, etc. It's worth it to get hydro- even if it means gettting a few more horses to handle it. Unless you are doing row crop work, there is a noticeable improvement in productivity.

Choice and location of dealer: my Kubota dealer is about 10 miles from the wife's horse farm. I blew a hydrolic hose last night and went there this morning to show them the old one and to order a replacement. It's a metal tube with a few unique bends, etc. The replacement part will be air freighted into the dealer tomorrow ($5.00 charge) morning. I will have to go there to pick it up. Point is that if the dealer were 100 miles away, or if you end up with a gray market import, you may not like having your tractor 'down' for several weeks/months while a part is located. This touches on productivity. I only have my days off to do tractor work, and so they are valuable to me. I believe that this is something that Kubota recognizes and they have put this parts network in place. (This is obvioulsy even more important for those that make their living with their equipment).
One of my points is that these were NOT factors that I thought about when I was shopping. I just liked the Kubota Grand L Series and bought one. However, I will tell you that the dealer support and service after the fact is important.

And finally, whichever equipment you bet, please be careful out there. Lots of accidents happen and they can be the worst kind. Tree clearing is dangerous work- so take it easy and be careful.

/ New here and maybe off topic.
Still thinking and looking...

We looked at a Deere 790 with a loader yesterday and like it, like it a lot. Dealer offered 14,500 with a loader right off, maybe a little high? Also looked at a Ford, about a 28 hp, a few battered years old, fair shape but looked a bit abused but less that 300 hours, loader and brush hog for 10,500. A new NH in that hp range without HST about 16,500.

Going to go look at Case and MF and see what they have in that hp range.

Will try to take a look Kioti and Centurion soon. Right now the Deere 790 is in the lead and want to see a 990 before commit to the 790. Still not sure if I can afford HST going to try it first.

Thanks for all the help and comments. The Deere dealer in Clackamas seems a lot more eager than in Woodburne.