The devil in the details?

/ The devil in the details? #1  

Schneeky

Silver Member
Hey guys, it's been a long time since I posted. Was tractor-less for a while. But now we've got the new place and plenty of GP's tractor work to piddle with. Nothing big. Picked up this old L305 Kubota (2WD, straight gear, no FEL) which has been very helpful scraping, raking and moving logs-n-pallets of wood. So Momma now believes there's a true use for a tractor around here and sez we're going after a new, or near new one in the fall.
So anyways, I was seeking some help about the details with the finer points of this upcoming purchase. Already have an idea of size and configuration. Want something no smaller than the L305, but not so big that it can't fit in the garage and work around in tight woods. Wanted advice on what details to check on and how relevant they are for a decision. Things like GPM of the hydraulics where it concerns running a FEL and grapple bucket, lift capacity of the 3pt, what kindof attachment method is most flexible on the FEL front end. And any other "detail-ish" things I'm sure I forgot or missed that really matter to the performance and ease of use for a given tractor.
A local dealer has suggested a New Holland Workmaster 35. But I checked the specs an it and it was only rated @ ~1800#'s on the 3pt as opposed to the L305's 2800#'s (can't remember where I saw that). Another dealer suggested a JD 3033R, which seemed to spec up closer to the old Kubota (at 10x the price :eek:)
Still gotta go check out the other dealers in the area. Gonna look at Mahindra and Massey. Although I'll admit to leaning heavily Orange. Thanks for any useful advice. d:^) Schneeks.

/ The devil in the details? #2  
Skid Steer(SS) for the FEL attachment is the most usefull. JD has their own.You will loose a little lift capacity with this installed.If buying new I would include in price along with the third function(for grapple) anywhere from $800-$1000 or so.I went with a "thumb" on the bucket and saved a little weight and money.
Hydraulics are the same for either way.If looking at Kubota check out L3200-L4600 or the new model equivalent.Remember the 2014's are tier 4 emissions on anything above 25 hp.

/ The devil in the details? #3  
Since you mentioned tight woods...be sure to have ROPS on whatever tractor you choose....just bump a tree and it or a dead top can fall down on you...Woods are the most dangerous place to operate in....

/ The devil in the details? #4  
Make sure you measure the actual height of the ROPS (with a tape measure) and your garage door opening.
If you have to fold the ROPS to get under the door, you may want some kind of warning device or padding ...

/ The devil in the details?
Thanks for the tips so far, fellas. Went out today to the local dealers and saw Kubota (L3031), New Holland (WM35), Massey (1734), LS (3033) and Mahindra (3016) that appear to be what I'm looking for. Most were speced similarly with the Mahindra coming in with the higher 3PT rating and 84 month 0% financing. The New Holland was the least expensive @ $16k with FEL/HST with the comparable LS about the same. Same mfg as I understand.
Adding the forward hydraulics all came in from $500-800. And root grapples were upper $2K to ~$3k.
Gonna study up on the non-Kubotas as I'm not sure how they stack up. Re-sale is, in theory, a non-issue this go around as this place has a definite constant use for a tractor.
Looking forward to more useful advice. d:^) Schneeks..