Buying Advice Looking at used tractors under 8K

/ Looking at used tractors under 8K #1  

Fountainhead Farms

Tractor
None
Hi everyone. First let me say thanks for the wealth of information that I am learning here. However, it is a little daunting to see the prices discussed, as most seem to be north of 10K and more likely 15K. I have found a lot of tractors online for between 5-8K that seem like solid machines from the ratings I can find, but was wondering if anyone could steer me a little. A few specifics as to what I will need done with the tractor.

1) Acreage is 8 acres. 3 is cleared (sorta) in that it is grass, weeds, and sweetgum saplings which I want rid of, plus some mature sweetgums that I want to cut down, and remove the roots. The other 5 acres is about 1 acre for house, barn, shed, and 4 acres of mature woods, plus some overgrowth I'd like to bushhog.
2) will be putting in fence, so will need something that will run a post hole attachment, and maybe a backhoe attachment to dig trenches for irrigation lines, as costs permit the purchase of that. I tried digging a trench by hand a few weeks ago. Wont every be doing that again. :)
3) Need a front end loader to move a little dirt, clean out animal pens, and whatever else Front end loaders do. Reading on these forums has enlightened me as to all the wonderful things this tool can accomplish.
4) Would prefer diesel.
5) Am more interested in "bulletproof" than pretty.

So anyone have any suggestions for what could fit the bill, or at least a checklist of :"Make sure you get a tractor that has_____"

I'm partial to Fords, just because my grandpa had a Ford and it was really solid, and my brother works for Ford, but I'll look at anything.
So far I've been looking at tractors that already have a FEL. Is this the right route to take? it seems that buying a tractor without one and then trying to add one seems a little expensive and more knowledge than I possess.

Thanks for your help in this.

Best!
Barney Trader
Fountainhead Farms
McDonough, GA

/ Looking at used tractors under 8K #3  
The Fords (8N, etc.) are still good tractors. Your problem is that that is for a farm tractor that pulls implements. And what you want is a property maintenance tractor. Not the same thing.

For prices, a front end loader is roughly 4,000 (we're talking new here just for examples). And a backhoe is maybe 7,000. So before you have even purchased a tractor you have exceeded your budget by 50% (very roughly) since you need hydraulics for those, too.

You can find a TLB (Tractor-Loader-Backhoe) for under 10 grand... if you are real lucky it won't be a dog or after purchase nightmare.

I do wish you luck. I had to adjust my budget upwards dramatically.

/ Looking at used tractors under 8K
Thanks for the welcome Deerseeker and Davrow for the insight.

RE: the possibility of having to work on these things. Would I be correct in assuming that the bigger names: JD, Kubota, New Holland, Massey- ferguson, that are still making new machines would be easier to find parts/service manuals for? Or the older tractors are simpler beasts in the first place, and are easier to figure out?

/ Looking at used tractors under 8K #5  
30 HP Diesel w/FEL and 4 WD seems to have a bottom price of $10k and a ceiling that can't be defined :eek:

If there is no rush and you remain diligent, you'll come up with something that fits your budget and needs. It will be easier to fit your budget if you rent a hoe / mini excavator when you need a trench dug.

I shopped the used sites, trader magazines, eBay & Craiglist for 9 months before seeing the one I bought. All the shopping I was doing made me certain it was a good buy and I jumped on it the morning it appeared for sale. That's how I'm getting attachments too. Get up early, scan the ads and if you see a deal, don't hesitate or it well be gone just that quick.

/ Looking at used tractors under 8K
Ford 1710, BELLINGHAM WA - 111588734 - EquipmentTraderOnline.com

Now I went to the reviews here for this model and it got really high marks. Since Y'all are veterans here. Are those reviews mostly people that come to brag on their tractors? 13 reviews and all were positive.

TractorData.com Ford 1710 tractor information
This has 27HP and 23HP to the PTO.

I'll post other examples of what I find when I run across them. I still have a month before I will need one. Just saw this one and thought, "hey that looks to be a cool tractor. I wonder if it will be enough to do what i want to do."

/ Looking at used tractors under 8K #7  
Square 1 is right , if you see a good deal rush as fast as you can because if you don't it will be gone . I put an l235 Kubota up for sale a few years back and the phone didn't stop ringing for days after it sold . There are really nice older tractors out there you just have be on the look out and know what to look for . If I were looking for an older tractor I would look for a kubota or jd . , that's just me . That L235 kubota , about 26 hp if I remember right , had a good loader ran a 4 ft. rotary cutter , post hole digger , 4 ft tiller with no problem , and when I sold it the eng. sounded just as good as the day we bought it . It didn't have power steering but back in those days who cared .

/ Looking at used tractors under 8K #8  
Hi everyone. First let me say thanks for the wealth of information that I am learning here. However, it is a little daunting to see the prices discussed, as most seem to be north of 10K and more likely 15K. I have found a lot of tractors online for between 5-8K that seem like solid machines from the ratings I can find, but was wondering if anyone could steer me a little. A few specifics as to what I will need done with the tractor.

1) Acreage is 8 acres. 3 is cleared (sorta) in that it is grass, weeds, and sweetgum saplings which I want rid of, plus some mature sweetgums that I want to cut down, and remove the roots. The other 5 acres is about 1 acre for house, barn, shed, and 4 acres of mature woods, plus some overgrowth I'd like to bushhog.
2) will be putting in fence, so will need something that will run a post hole attachment, and maybe a backhoe attachment to dig trenches for irrigation lines, as costs permit the purchase of that. I tried digging a trench by hand a few weeks ago. Wont every be doing that again. :)
3) Need a front end loader to move a little dirt, clean out animal pens, and whatever else Front end loaders do. Reading on these forums has enlightened me as to all the wonderful things this tool can accomplish.
4) Would prefer diesel.
<snip>
Good list -
Backhoes are expensive, backs even more so.

30 HP Diesel w/FEL and 4 WD seems to have a bottom price of $10k and a ceiling that can't be defined :eek:

If there is no rush and you remain diligent, you'll come up with something that fits your budget and needs. It will be easier to fit your budget if you rent a hoe / mini excavator when you need a trench dug.

I shopped the used sites, trader magazines, eBay & Craiglist for 9 months before seeing the one I bought. All the shopping I was doing made me certain it was a good buy and I jumped on it the morning it appeared for sale. That's how I'm getting attachments too. Get up early, scan the ads and if you see a deal, don't hesitate or it well be gone just that quick.
What he wrote -
Build a file (data base) with pictures, prices, notes, and LOCATION. Figure at least 50 cents to $2/mile for transportation to get it home, so a tractor or implement 400 miles away is going to cost you $400 to $1,600 to get it in your yard.

My first tractor was about 200 miles away, but the price was worth it.
attachment.php

And if you are going to be trying to get the absolute bargain make sure you add in obvious repair costs, hydraulic hoses and tires, especially rears are not cheap.

Look for auctions also, I got my M4700 at a Public Surplus auction for $11.5K last year. It was about 40 miles away.

attachment.php

A little rough but well maintained. That's 50HP/42HP-PTO, w/ a FEL that lifts a ton.

Since then I've seen a number of tractors sold for around $10K. A quick search shows 6 for sale in Texas.

And look at Barlows. They ship all over at a moderate cost.
Ford 1710, BELLINGHAM WA - 111588734 - EquipmentTraderOnline.com

Now I went to the reviews here for this model and it got really high marks. Since Y'all are veterans here. Are those reviews mostly people that come to brag on their tractors? 13 reviews and all were positive.

TractorData.com Ford 1710 tractor information
This has 27HP and 23HP to the PTO.

I'll post other examples of what I find when I run across them. I still have a month before I will need one. Just saw this one and thought, "hey that looks to be a cool tractor. I wonder if it will be enough to do what i want to do."
That will probably DO if you are not trying to lift anything heavy. But probably need to find something closer :)

One of my KEY parameters was to be able to lift a ton (2,000 lbs) on the rears (I've a small sawmill I have to feed), which basically meant a 35HP or more tractor.

As far as reviews, read here. Most are honest.

Attachments

• 20140427_103025.jpg
    20140427_103025.jpg
    806.1 KB · Views: 1,963
  • tractor 015small.jpg
    tractor 015small.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 2,853
   / Looking at used tractors under 8K #9  
Rule !:
Buy it with installed loader. Adding later will break the bank.
Rule 2:
Select a brand that you can get parts and service, avoid 'GREYs' (generally described as offshore paint restored units that can be absolute nightmares)

On a smaller tractor (CUT) go for 4WD. Small, like 20HP or so 4WD will do all your chores just a bit slower than a more powerful tractor.
Gear shift, while not as easy to operate, will be much less costly to buy and easier on repairs as long as you have a good clutch and know how to use it.

On a CUT due to lightness the 4WD is a must, while perhaps 2WD is acceptable on larger tractors.
You mentioned Fords. Avoid the Select-O-Matic, I gather that they are a nightmare to service.

Unless you are a mechanic, It is wise to pay a knowledgeable mechanic an hour or two of his time to evaluate your choice prior to laying down good cash.

/ Looking at used tractors under 8K #10  

4) Would prefer diesel.

So anyone have any suggestions for what could fit the bill, or at least a checklist of :"Make sure you get a tractor that has_____"

I'm partial to Fords, just because my grandpa had a Ford and it was really solid, and my brother works for Ford, but I'll look at anything.
So far I've been looking at tractors that already have a FEL. Is this the right route to take? it seems that buying a tractor without one and then trying to add one seems a little expensive and more knowledge than I possess.

Thanks for your help in this.

Best!
Barney Trader
Fountainhead Farms
McDonough, GA

Since you like fords -I would keep an eye out for a 3000 or 4000 8 speed with a loader, power steering and loaded tires and a good heavy attachment on back.- This way a good amount of loader work can be done

I have a Ford 3000 Select-O-Speed with power steering, Ford 730 loader and loaded 14.9 x 28 r1s that has done a ton of work and I paid $3850 for it with paperwork from the local Ford dealer on the SOS trans for $1800.

parts are getting hard to find for SOS transmissions so I would stick with an 8 speed manual.

Many will disagree , but I believe a 3000 or especially the 4000 ford ( stronger front axle) will flat out work the little Japanese branded fords.

I also bought my fathers 55 HP 4x4 Rhino (chinese Shanghai) with a Koyker loader for under the price you are quoting - and it has been a really decent tractor - although it is a 6 speed manual (stop to shift) tractor it does have all the weight= (traction) about 7000 lbs. including loader that easily lifts a full ton to do most anything I have needed done.

For a name brand 4x4 tractor the Ford 3910- or 30 series would be great also- but it is rare to see them sell for the price limit you have set.

Probably in the minority on this- but I am a believer in buy as much weight and power for the money you have - weight equals traction, and it seems from many ads I see that these under 30 hp 4x4 tractors many times sell for more than a full sized machine -even used , so why not get more tractor (literally) for your money- that way when you do find a backhoe attachment for a price that's agreeable the tractor will be sturdy enough to handle it... My :2cents:

Last edited: