Fill me in on the turbochargers

/ Fill me in on the turbochargers #21  
I have an 06 superduty. I have had a problem with both the erg valve and the cooler. I've had 2 turbos replaced. The service man said the egr problems came from long idle periods. So stopped the idling. Then the turbos siezed up. That came from lack of use. 50000 miles in 7 years.
So when I got my new Workmaster 55 one of my questions was does it have egr system and does it hurt to let it idle. The answer was no egr system and let it run. No mention of turbo cool down.

The tractor is used on a horse farm so after the new wears off it may not be used heavily. Some days dragging fields or mowing for several hours. Some days putting out two roundbales. Sounds like I should have gotten the 45 instead.

/ Fill me in on the turbochargers #22  
I'd be surprised on no cool down. most machines say to allow a warm up before full throttle, and a cool down after full throttle period. I know my NH tractor states that in the manual.

/ Fill me in on the turbochargers #23  
Does a tractor have an egr valve. And do I have to run it like my truck.

/ Fill me in on the turbochargers #24  
Tractor engines are designed to run at full rated load, throttle and rpm for extended periods, gor their lifespnan, doing that to an auto would significantly limit its working life, u generally don't see egr, however u never know with new EPA tier standards, and I'm not up on the latest tier stuff anyway, most of my machines are 50-70's era

/ Fill me in on the turbochargers #25  
I'd be surprised on no cool down. most machines say to allow a warm up before full throttle, and a cool down after full throttle period. I know my NH tractor states that in the manual.

I've been doing a cool-down with most every fueled engine for 40+ years. Are they so sure we all do this that it's not worth mentioning in manuals nowadays? (doubt it)

My little '13 NH (35 hp, Tier 4A) has EGR, but only that & a cast iron muffler to suggest it's not otherwise pretty 'old school'. It gets a brief cool down, but then there's always someone saying to avoid 'excess' idling & I don't know if that means 'not for a half hour' or 'shut down if to be more than 10 min.'

Oil pressure accumulators came up in another recent thread. (<1 qt & sim to a well's tank) If fed into the right place I always felt they were just made for turbo-equipped to supply cooling oil to bearings during spin down. Still seems an ok idea but never hear much discussion anywhere.

/ Fill me in on the turbochargers #26  
My nw manual says to idle for 5m before full throttle, and then to idle for 1m after full throttle.

Tier 4a huh.. wow.. last i heard of was 4... :) My guess was correct then. we are seeing egr come into play for emission standards.

i wonder how long it will be before tractors will need DEF !!!

/ Fill me in on the turbochargers #27  
Turbos do nothing for emissions, the are simply a power adder.

I'm an aero engineer and not a mechanical so I didn't deep dive combustion engines, but I did have them as part of my propulsion coursework and this statement is not entirely true. The mixture in a diesel engine is generally considered heterogeneous in nature with the combustion process dictated by the prevailing conditions both at ignition and during the expansion stroke. Turbos can easily change those prevailing conditions.

The additional air from a turbo can have effects that will serve to lower several emissions products. Turbos can allow for leaner fuel charges which serve to reduce both particulate and NOX emissions. Feeding air to the engine at an increased pressure can also allow for better mixture of the fuel and air by increasing swirl and other turbulent effects in the cylinder, reducing areas of locally rich combustion, further eliminating particulate and NOX byproducts.

So put the caveat that turbos only improve emissions when the entire system is designed to do it. They can be added in such a way as to just produce more power, primarily by dumping in more fuel to go along with the increased air volume.

Last edited:
   / Fill me in on the turbochargers #28  

Whether they say to or not, always letting your turbo cool down is a "best practice".

A big problem in the early days of gasoline turbo cars was people not letting the turbo cool. They stop the car, kill it, coolant stops flowing to the turbo, the oil cokes and plugs up the passages and then next time you go driving you have no lubrication on the bearings. Even high end synthetic oil would coke with the temperature levels seen.

More modern turbo implementations take the fact people don't do a cool down into account. They generally have a system to circulate coolant through the turbo for a time even after you kill the car, which basically eliminates the issue.

I'm not sure tractos have such systems though, so not doing a cool down could easily kill a turbo. Good rule of thumb is probably to drop it idle then sing happy birthday to yourself or some such to give the turbo time to cool.

/ Fill me in on the turbochargers #30  
I guess what I'm confused about is that Ford told me no idling because that's what ruins an egr system. But it does have a high idle that kicks in after a few minutes that the manual says prevents coking. They also said no cool down on the turbo. But all 3'systems have had trouble. I don't won't to have the same problems with a new tractor. But I guess like Soundguy said high rpms while working will keep
the soot burned out. By the time I have everything ready to keep the shutdown alarm off the turbo should just about be cooled