Fill me in on the turbochargers

/ Fill me in on the turbochargers #1  

jeffgreef

Silver Member
Tractor
Farmall, Gibson, Windolph, Simar, Bear Cat, Vaughan, Howard
Been investigating tractors for years, eventually I'll take the plunge. Big question will be should i get a turbo. I guess, but not sure, that the turbos are a recent thing, so I probably won't find a used one. Do you have to buy a new tractor to get a turbo?

Fill me in on the advantages/ disadvantages of turbos, how long they have been out, etc. They a lot more expensive? Use a lot less fuel? More horsepower? I don't know anything about them, just that everyone wants one.

When I buy I plan to get a 30-35 hp diesel 4wd hydro or power shift with FEL, Gannon, maybe a 3 point snow thrower, for grading 5 hilly acres, grading 1/2 mile of road and clearing snow.

Thanks

/ Fill me in on the turbochargers #2  
Turbos have been around for a while on the larger tractors. But in the size range your looking at 30 - 35 hp most of the big players dont offer turbo models. massey offers a turbo on their 1700 series 36 hp. John deere, kubota, kioti, new holland(LS) dont. Typically they start turbo charging models around 50 hp

Turbos are great but they are also expensive. I just helped put a $1400 turbo (piece cost) on a buddies MF 5455 perkins diesel with 1500 hours.
Turbos spin at very high speeds think (80,000 -200,000 rpms) and don't like to be constantly cycled on and off without cooling and slowing down first.
I have a turbo on mine but it would not be deal breaker for me less complexity and if you plan on running for short durations I'd definitely rather go Naturally asperated. Turbos will give you a broader torque band but power is power and if your looking at a hydro trans youd probably never notice since the trans is decoupled from the engine and would likely be running high engine speeds anyhow especially if running the pto

Last edited:
   / Fill me in on the turbochargers #3  
I think on the newer compact tractors 40-50 hp. the turbo's are more for emissions than shear horsepower.I wouldn't want to deal with one myself.

/ Fill me in on the turbochargers #4  
They have their advantages, but like Dave says, they don't like short run times. Obviously, lots of on off isn't good no matter what, but turbos do want an extra "cool-down" period before shutting down. My understanding is that they are oiled by a stream of crankcase oil that shuts off when the motor does. If it's real hot when you shut down, the turbo spins for a long time with no lubrication.

I think in tractors, they are mostly used to get more power or lower emissions from any given power plant. A 30 HP turbo tractor will use really close to the same amt of fuel as a 30hp naturally aspirated tractor performing the same tasks.

/ Fill me in on the turbochargers #5  
turbo'd engines are more efficient, especially when you look at naturally aspirated diesels vs turbocharged diesels. also helps with elevation problems of high altitude.

you can deffinately find turbocharged tractors that are not 'new'

Ford 7000 was turbocharged if I remember correctly. that is a early mid 70's machine.

/ Fill me in on the turbochargers #6  
turbo'd engines are more efficient, especially when you look at naturally aspirated diesels vs turbocharged diesels. also helps with elevation problems of high altitude.

you can deffinately find turbocharged tractors that are not 'new'

Ford 7000 was turbocharged if I remember correctly. that is a early mid 70's machine.

LOL soundguy a 7000 series is 3 times the horsepower the O.P. is looking for but yes they've been around for a while :D

/ Fill me in on the turbochargers #7  
LOL soundguy a 7000 series is 3 times the horsepower the O.P. is looking for but yes they've been around for a while :D

and how does size matter to any degree, when the point of the reference was to illustrate that it need not be a 'new' tractor to get a turbo charger. IE.. many classic tractors had them.. etc.

/ Fill me in on the turbochargers #8  
and how does size matter to any degree, when the point of the reference was to illustrate that it need not be a 'new' tractor to get a turbo charger. IE.. many classic tractors had them.. etc.

It doesn't directly apply to the first part of his question by itself but couple that to his statement about the 30 -35 horsepower range he wants it does. Because he'll probably have to buy a new or newer tractor.
Edit: limited new options even in this range

my first statement to his response is that they had been on the larger tractors for a while so I'm not in disagreement with you.

/ Fill me in on the turbochargers #9  
doesn't apply to the first part of his question as in turbo are new.. and not on old tractors?

? AS in .. advantages and disads?

my post addresses BOTH of those points.

no it does not have to be new to have had a TC.. and i did address some of the advantages ????????

It doesn't directly apply to the first part of his question by itself but couple that to his statement about the 30 -35 horsepower range he wants it does. Because he'll probably have to buy a new or newer tractor.
Edit: limited new options even in this range

my first statement to his response is that they had been on the larger tractors for a while so I'm not in disagreement with you.

/ Fill me in on the turbochargers #10  
Turbos have been around for a while on the larger tractors. But in the size range your looking at 30 - 35 hp most of the big players dont offer turbo models. massey offers a turbo on their 1700 series 36 hp. John deere, kubota, kioti, new holland(LS) dont. Typically they start turbo charging models around 50 hp

Kubota does. My B3350 comes with a turbocharger.

The advantage of turbo charging, besides more power, is that the engine can make rated power at higher elevations whereas a normally aspirated engine will lose about 3% power per 1000 feet of altitude.

bumper