Buying Advice Advice needed!

/ Advice needed! #1  

Lanyap

Tractor
I want a kubota
We'll I am about to buy my first tractor. I am considering buying a kubota l3800 hst. The tractor comes in a package deal with a land pride 2060 cutter, a 6 ft disc and 18ft trailer. I was quoted a price of 25,450. First is this a pretty reasonable price considering they are not making this model anymore. Second us the 2060 a good cutter for deer lease work and or/ bush hogging business. Third is there anything I may need from the dealer or any advice anyone can give me about buying my first tractor. Thanks for any advice and help.

/ Advice needed! #2  
L3800 is a good tractor. Mostly made in the USA.

I have a Land Pride RCF2060 and have found it to be rugged and reliable, pulled forward. Less rugged being pushed in reverse.

What is the pan diameter on the Disc Harrow? You need a minimum of 20" pan diameter for weight, scratching in food plots. Pan diameter of 22" would be better. For food plot work you want a Disc Harrow somewhat narrower than your rear tires so you do not get hung up maneuvering between trees and other obstructions.

I do not think the L3800 nor RCF2060 rotary cutter are suitable for commercial work and the strains commercial work entails. For commercial work you need really robust equipment; i.e.: MX5100/MX5200. "Bush Hogging" commercially is pretty dangerous work. "Dust Pneumonia" is an operational hazard.

Unless you have prior tractor operating experience I would put in 500 hours or so on a tractor before considering commercial work. Commercial customers will demand high quality work and that requires operator experience.

There is a pretty good learning curve to each tractor and each implement. You cannot do commercial work without ample, ample, insurance and the insurance will eat up your profits unless you do a lot of commercial work.

LINK:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/308251-disc-harrow-selection-18-45-a.html?highlight=

Last edited:
   / Advice needed! #3  
The neighbor bought one of these L3800 but wasnt the HST.He had it for Brush hogging and Snow removal, had it Two Years and sold it this spring,was to Small,not happy with it.

/ Advice needed! #4  
Kubota tractors are generally pretty good,it's up to you to size for your work.Never owned a L3800 but have owned a L3130 HST,L4240 HSTC and recently a L3000DT.The L3000 is most similar to the L3800 and is great in the woods and very capable.I just purchased a Landpride RCR 2072 for the L4240 and only have a couple hours on it but it seems it will be fine.I put about 700 hours on a Bush-Hog Squealer,it's a five footer and going on the L3000DT.Your price doesn't seem bad for all you are getting.I assume a FEL is included.

/ Advice needed!
Thank you everybody for the advice so far. Everything is certainly helpful. Does anyone know or suggest anything about rear hydraulics..

/ Advice needed! #6  
You do not need additional rear hydraulic ports to operate a Rotary Cutter nor Disc Harrow.

Rear hydraulic ports are most useful when pulling a 'standard' Box Blade, which requires quite a lot of adjustment in use. With two rear ports you can adjust the angle of the cutting blade by lengthening or shortening the Top Link length (most used) and tilt the Box Blade by adjusting the right Lifting Rod.

If you will ever want a grapple, order SSQA (Skid Steer Quick Attach) coupling for your FEL bucket at time of purchase. Other SSQA attachments are Pallet Forks and snow blowing equipment. (You need a front hydraulic port to operate a grapple but that can be added later at no more cost than at time of purchase.)

SSQA LINK:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1980696