In the buying trap - need advice

/ In the buying trap - need advice #1  

CVF

Have an 8n that is gasping it's last breaths. Was going to have it rebuilt but figured out I could sell mine and buy a pretty well restored one for $1000-$1500 out of pocket. Then, I found myself with a few thousand unexpected dollars in my pocket, so I started looking at larger tractors with live PTO, like the Ford 5000. What I really want, though, is an FEL, so I started looking at large used tractors with loaders and quickly ran out of my $5000 budget. Of course, if you really want to use a loader, you need 4 wheel drive. And $5000 is a good chunk down on a new 4WD tractor with a loader and a warranty...

And here's where the advice comes in. I borrow a B7500 from my neighbor when I have to have a bucket for something or need to dig post holes, but the one task I want an FEL for above all else is to unload round bales from a trailer. Not something I do regularly 蔓probably 20 bales twice a year, but right now it involves straps and chains and comealongs and super-human feats of strength. I don't need a huge tractor 蔓I've made it fine on my 8n for years and I'm really liking the LS G3033 and G3038 for the price and features. My question is, is it reasonable to expect either of those tractors to lift a 1300# bale off a flatbed trailer? I know I'll need to load the tires and weight the back and if I planned to do it everyday I would need something bigger, but what's the real world experience? The lifts are rated at 1600 and 1900 pounds respectively on paper, but how does a tractor that size/weight handle that kind of load? I'll also add that I don't mind setting them down on the spot and grabbing them with a 3pt spear once they clear the trailer.

Those tractors are at the top-end of what I'm willing to spend, and if I spend that much it has to be new and it has to unload bales without being a hazard. That's the only two things that make it worth a monthly payment to me. Will a tractor that size meet my needs or am I better off paying cash for a 5000 or similar, maybe with a loader if I get it at auction? Appreciate any advice or recommendations.

/ In the buying trap - need advice #2  
If you don't stack your bales, don't overlook 3pt bale spears, or at least check the 3pt lift specs too.

/ In the buying trap - need advice #3  
I don't know that the 3033 would be able to manage it. The 1,600lb lift is at the pivot pins, and a bale is quite a bit farther out than that, so it would be iffy at best. The 3038 with 1,900lbs of lift should be able to do it, but you're going to need a fairly heavy counterweight (ballpark 1k or so) to keep the rear tires planted and stable. Exact numbers vary, but figure 25% less loader capacity at 24" forward of the pins. That would leave you with 1,425lbs of lift to full height. Assuming you don't need full height, the margin would be greater than 125lbs.

For that size bale, you'd be a lot better off with one of the R series machines (or equivalent).

/ In the buying trap - need advice #4  
With the 1900# lift of the 3038 and using a QA attached bale spear, you should be fine with the proper rear counterweight. DONT attempt it with one of those pin on to the FEL bucket spears. NOT only do they damage the bucket but they put everything so far out in front that you need double the capacity of whatever you are lifting in order to be safe. My brother in law had one of those and with a light bale on the bolt on spear and a heavy bush hog on the rear it was tipsy. Now with the QA attached bale spear, even with a green bale, he can lift them off the 2nd level of a trailer with ease.

/ In the buying trap - need advice #5  
My advice....... don't buy barely enough tractor.
Get one that will easily, and safely, do what you need it to do.
The Dk series from Kioti will lift 2761lbs to to full height properly ballasted, or as Bart suggested the R series from LS
Get up to that 40 horse frame size and you have a much more stable and capable tractor.

My .02

/ In the buying trap - need advice
Made a trip to the LS dealer hoping to compare the G3038 and R3039. Apparently the R series is no more, and they tried to sell me on an XR3032. Really nice tractor, but still on the verge of being too small. Also looked at a K5047 that was sub $20k and more than enough tractor but lacked any of the features on the smaller ones. After talking to them and running some numbers, I just don't think it's worth it to me to buy new. Going to start looking for an old Ford or Massey with a loader that I can pay cash for and maybe I'll buy new later. Anything should be a huge upgrade from my worn out 8n. Thanks for the feedback.

/ In the buying trap - need advice #7  
Guys are paying 21 to 23 for a Kioti DK 40 HST 4WD...They are feature rich, rear remote standard, telescoping rear links standard, skid steer quick attach bucket standard, draft control standard, independent pto, cruise control, tilt wheel, cupholders etc...And don't forget 2761 lbs of lift to full height...107.8 inches.
The DKS are tier 3, they have been replaced by the NX series tier 4.
There are still DKs left, but not for long, once they are gone thats it, the DKs come in 40, 45, and 50 horse. the tractors are the same, just different motors.

This has been the sweet spot from Kioti, and one of the best tractor values out there for what you get for you money IMO.

Good Luck