Buying Advice What Zero Turn?

/ What Zero Turn? #21  
Ferris IMO is the best, but costs a lot more.

I bought a Snapper Pro, in my case a huge walk behind. Ferris and Snapper are both owned by Briggs and are very similar machines made in the same factory. Ferris is by far the nicer machine, but the decks, motors and many other parts are basically the same between the 2 products. Yet the Snapper Pro series can be thousands less.

If I mowed for a living it would be Ferris, but just for the 2 lawns I do, Snapper is great for me.

/ What Zero Turn? #22  
I would look at what dealers are in your area and go test drive some mowers. When we purchased our z-turn in 2006 we were leaning towards cub cadet, but after test driving lots of mower we determined that the Gravely was the nicest for our needs. I needed a solid front axle because I mow the creek banks by hanging the front wheel over the edge.
I would look at the following:
Bad Boy
Cub Cadet
Exmark
Ferris
Gravely
Grass hopper
Hustler
Husquavarne
Kubota
Snapper
Toro

/ What Zero Turn? #23  
I needed a solid front axle because I mow the creek banks by hanging the front wheel over the edge.

Sportsman I am having a hard time visualizing hanging the front wheel over the edge to cut a creek bank - are you saying you run one wheel in the air with the mower at an angle to the creek?

/ What Zero Turn? #24  
Hustler Makes a good Zero turn. I have a 48in Fastrak. Grasshoppers are excellent but expensive. I also have a deere 54in and thats good but the others are better. I used to have a toro and was also good, but some parts don't last long like belts etc. scag is an excellent machine along with exmark. I don't know enough about the ferris to say but they do look pretty good. But I would say scag is a very good option

/ What Zero Turn? #25  
Sportsman I am having a hard time visualizing hanging the front wheel over the edge to cut a creek bank - are you saying you run one wheel in the air with the mower at an angle to the creek?
I pull up the the creek at a 45 degree angle and hang a wheel over the creek. This lets me put the deck over the creek so I do not have to string trim it. The one wheel does end up in the air.

/ What Zero Turn? #26  
OK - I understand now - thanks - many of the ZTR have the center pivot point on the front and my Ferris has the independent suspension on the front and that would not work with these machines but I see some Gravely have solid/fixed wheels on the front so that would work. Just have to watch out for undercut creek banks I suppose or you could get wet!

/ What Zero Turn? #27  
IMO after dealing with my two year old Scag Tiger Cat 52" gasoline repairs I can not recommend Scag mowers.
My mower has been on the shop for one repair or another for most of the last 8 months. Its back in the shop waiting on a starter now. Been 3 weeks.
See my posts on the mower. Scag does not support their mowers where I live in Texas. If they did I would have a mower today.

/ What Zero Turn? #28  
Thank you for the reply. I would like to stay around $6K. Used is fine. I have read a few threads about Craigs list and ebay. What ZTM do you like for us?

Thanks,

Steve 18643
Ferris ZTR would be my choice in that price range.

/ What Zero Turn? #29  
I like my IS700Z Ferris with the Kawasaki engine. I mow about 6 acres with at least 100 trees and shrubs to mow around and I can do it in 2.5 hours without pushing it hard. My outer yard is really rough and even with the spring suspension, I have to slow down from the 9.8 MPH max speed to be comfortable and not have the front wheels coming off the ground from a pot hole. I keep saying I am going to mark those rascals and fill them in but can never find them after I finish mowing. The tank from empty (when I bought it) to full holds 4 gallons and I will have 1/4-3/8th of a tank of fuel when I finish mowing. I think it does very well on miserly fuel consumption. It is a carburetor engine rather than fuel injected but it starts very easily and even with the 23 HP rating it has plenty of power for the 52" cut. Only in wet grass over 6" high with the mower set at 2" does it stall a bit so I have to slow down. I have never stalled it in dry grass and it will fling the clippings at least 10 feet from the mower.

/ What Zero Turn? #30  
I purchased the Ferris IS2000 about 18 months ago purely for the suspension all round. I have about 105 hours on the machine so far. Only cut my property, about 40 acres of reasonable paddock but quite hilly. It has worked out very well for speed. Quite often find myself flat out just feathering one stick or the other for contours. Plenty of power in the 30hp petrol Briggs. It uses about 5.5lts unleaded per hour running time. Each tank is a bit over 20lts, so about 7 hours between fills. I'm usually knackered by then anyway.

Gives a very good finish with sharp blades and the blades stand up well to small tree branches, gravel strikes, occasional rocks.

I had to remove the ROPS bar that is behind the drivers head after the second time I hooked an overhead tree branch and lifted the front wheels way up in the air. Quite a surprise. The machine would also wheelstand accelerating up hill with the ROPS on. Yeh I know, slow down idiot.

I have followed the recommended service regime and have had nil problems other than a flat battery last weekend as I had not used the mower for some months.

The area I am covering is probably not appropriate for the Ferris, particularly the open sections. I am researching 3mtr flail mulchers at present as a more comfortable alternative. Gotta love an airconditioned cabin with radio.