Buying Advice What Zero Turn?

/ What Zero Turn? #31  
From what I have heard, there appear to be a very limited number of manufacturers of the hydrostat drive trains used in zero-turns, and that some of the drivetrains have a poor reputation. I have heard of one model where the left side always has problems, for example.

If i were buying a zero turn, i would concentrate on the drive train; who makes it, what model drive is it, and what kind of comments about that drivetrain can one find on it on the internet. The brand of the engine and the brand of the mower itself would be secondary considerations. A drain plug to drain the fluid from the hyd motor so the fluid can be changed is a good sign; the lack of a drain plug is a bad sign.

/ What Zero Turn? #32  
The Ferris IS 700Z and higher models I know for sure have to have the oil changed in the HST, they use 20W-50 motor oil. Mine has the 3800 series drive units and I think the 2000 uses a more robust unit, all are serviceable. I think the IS700 is the lowest model for a commercial grade machine.
Simplicity is the same mower design as they bought Ferris a while back so if you cant find Ferris, look for Simplicity.

/ What Zero Turn? #33  
hydrogear & parker are the big names for hyd pumps & motors. they do make different grades from consumer to commercial.... seems they recommend 15/50 syn oil (namely mobil 1) rather than 20/50 conventional, but of course follow manu recom. ferris suspension seems intriguing, fortunately am able to keep up w/my zero heavy duty model despite pockmarked areas (wild hog). could never go back to the conventional rider....also have a zero turn 36' walk behind for the slopes around ponds. way cool! to the OP: good luck on purchase!

/ What Zero Turn? #34  
What Zero turn?

Ride as many as you can and determine if you can fix it, afford it and confident that you can operate it .

/ What Zero Turn? #35  
What Zero turn?

Ride as many as you can and determine if you can fix it, afford it and confident that you can operate it .

This is smart advise. I would also add to get the machine from a dealer who is close by and you trust and has a good reputation since, if you are like me, there may be things that happen that you cannot fix on your own. At least the first time.

Good luck.

MoKelly

/ What Zero Turn? #36  
"the lack of a drain plug is a bad sign". capricious many models don't have hyd reservoir drain plugs on zero turns, just the removal of the filter for draining. yours is good advice on serviceability of hyd oil...as others have mentioned, would steer clear of consumer grade zero turns, commercial is way to go for this kind of investment.

/ What Zero Turn? #37  
I just went through this same process earlier this year. I mow 3-4 acres every week and more grass that I only mow every couple of weeks. Some on slope and some under trees and around lots of shrubs. I tested and looked at a lot of mowers. I ended up buying a Toro ZMaster 3000, but I came to the realization that there are lots of mowers that will cut grass well and last for 2000+ hrs. I think the key issue is to be careful when using them (no rocks, roots or hitting stumps) and then keeping the mower clean and serviced. Toro, Exmark, Scag, JD, Ferris, Hustler .... they are all good mowers and will last a long time

One more thought ... we are getting toward the end of grass cutting season. There might be some good deals out there for a drop in price or really good finance terms to move inventory.