Kubota M6060 vs. L6060 vs. NH T 4.75 vs. JD 5075E

/ Kubota M6060 vs. L6060 vs. NH T 4.75 vs. JD 5075E #1  

fleminj2pa

Bronze Member
Tractor
2010 John Deere 2520; 2012 Kubota L5740 HSTC; 2012 Kubota M7040 HDC; 2012 John Deere 4720 Cab (SOLD); Cat 247B Multi Terrain Loader
I am considering replacing my 2012 JD 4720 Cab machine with a stronger, heftier tractor. I'm pulling my grain drill more and more and the JD is at the upper limit of it's capabilities with that equipment when on hilly terrain. I've had the opportunity to run a 2013 Kubota L5740 for almost two weeks now, as my tractor is in the shop with an A/C problem. I have to say that I have been very impressed with this tractor! Theoretically, the same class as the Deere 4720 but with so much more stability and power it's not even a close call as to which one is more comfortable in the field.

Consequently, I've been considering upgrading. I have been encouraged by a couple of dealers to consider the M Series along with the Grand L, so I have been looking at the M7040 and the M6060. My main concern with these two options is the 8X8 transmission. I do a wide variety of tasks with this tractor...mowing, spraying, spreading fertilizer, pulling a 7' disc and a 6' tiller, along with a 6' Land Pride All Purpose Seeder and of course, the 6' no-till drill. I'm questioning whether the 8X8 will give me enough different speed options for everything that I do, keeping in mind that I've become accustomed to the infinite speed choices of a hydrostatic drive system.

I suppose I'm entering a transition phase in my operations where I'm being asked to plant larger tracts of land and have also considered adding a Kuhn 98" tiller/cultipacker to my collection and I just don't think the CUT machines will be able to handle that attachment. My dilemma is the more clover I plant, the more clover I mow and spray next year. I'd like to hear opinions on how the 8X8 transmission will serve in regard to these functions since I'm pretty sure it will be fine with the heavy work.

I should also mention that I have looked at the New Holland T 4.75 and the John Deere 5075E. I love the NH Powerstar but the extra weight of that tractor is something of a concern because I do so much transporting to and from job sites that can be hundreds of miles apart. To be perfectly honest, I'm a little soured on Deere at the moment and not very confident in the their capabilities or quality in the CUT or Utility lines. Finding a balance of power, strength, mobility and versatility is a challenge. I could use some advice!

/ Kubota M6060 vs. L6060 vs. NH T 4.75 vs. JD 5075E #2  
M7060 with a 12x12 power shuttle transmission. You know that the M models are a step up in size from the Grand Ls.

Have you considered any other makes? There are other makes that have plenty of gears, finding the right gear would not be a problem.

Something to consider. ;)

/ Kubota M6060 vs. L6060 vs. NH T 4.75 vs. JD 5075E
M7060 with a 12x12 power shuttle transmission. You know that the M models are a step up in size from the Grand Ls.

Have you considered any other makes? There are other makes that have plenty of gears, finding the right gear would not be a problem.

Something to consider. ;)

I agree, the 12X12 would be my first choice and I did consider the M7060. However, it comes standard with 30" rears and they add 6" to the height of the tractor over the 28" tires...or so I've been told. Extra height is not my friend, given some of the places I need to get my tractor into.

/ Kubota M6060 vs. L6060 vs. NH T 4.75 vs. JD 5075E #4  
I agree, the 12X12 would be my first choice and I did consider the M7060. However, it comes standard with 30" rears and they add 6" to the height of the tractor over the 28" tires...or so I've been told. Extra height is not my friend, given some of the places I need to get my tractor into.

You could always go with industrials. R4s, not as good of traction, but I would think for your application they would be fine?? :confused3:

/ Kubota M6060 vs. L6060 vs. NH T 4.75 vs. JD 5075E #5  
Try the "Build my Kubota" on their web site, I think you can order a M7060 with 24" rear AG tires.

I was fortunate to find a very knowledgeable Kubota dealer out in the country...small store. I plan to call him tomorrow and see what solutions he may have to suggest. But, I do believe the 17.5X24 R4's would work and in fact, may even help avoid hitting a few tree limbs as I'm twisting my way back to quad trail to a remote food plot. My first choice though would be the 16.9X28 R1's. I am going to try that build you own feature on Kubota's site. Thanks, guys!

/ Kubota M6060 vs. L6060 vs. NH T 4.75 vs. JD 5075E #7  
TractorData.com - information on all makes and models of tractors gives very general data, but might help ya get an idea of this or that in general specs.

www.tractorhouse.com for selling used/new tractors and implements. it may give you some idea of cost and what is out there.

most manuals for any given equipment, should denote min/max HP for tractor sizing. along with possibly min/max MPH

keep in mind, changing tire diameters, from larger to smaller will lower your top road gear MPH. due to most likely transmission ratios to final drive never will get changed to deal with tire diameters.

if issue with trees, then cut the limbs or cut the tree out.

/ Kubota M6060 vs. L6060 vs. NH T 4.75 vs. JD 5075E #8  
I'd want the 12x12 from the owner of an 8x8 for your described task. I get by with the 8x8 but given the chance to do it over again it'd be a no brainer

TractorData.com - information on all makes and models of tractors gives very general data, but might help ya get an idea of this or that in general specs.

www.tractorhouse.com for selling used/new tractors and implements. it may give you some idea of cost and what is out there.

most manuals for any given equipment, should denote min/max HP for tractor sizing. along with possibly min/max MPH

keep in mind, changing tire diameters, from larger to smaller will lower your top road gear MPH. due to most likely transmission ratios to final drive never will get changed to deal with tire diameters.

if issue with trees, then cut the limbs or cut the tree out.

Boggen, you raise a good point regarding the reduction in speed and one that hadn't occurred to me. I did as DT86 suggested and went to the build my kubota tool and found that they offer a 16.9-24 industrial tire option in 14 ply, which appeals to me because of the hazards I typically encounter going into land that hasn't been farmed or tilled in years. I'm a little leery of the 6 ply R1's living very long in the environments that I usually encounter. However, that gearing issue is certainly something to consider. I'll need to look into that. Thanks!!

I'd want the 12x12 from the owner of an 8x8 for your described task. I get by with the 8x8 but given the chance to do it over again it'd be a no brainer

Thanks, xring100! Your input is exactly what I was looking for to confirm my concerns with the 8X8.