too big?

/ too big? #1  

mikespeed6

Tractor
n/a
I have just purchased a 10 acre piece of land that has got some pretty good elevation changes. I will not be farming it or keeping livestock and has few trees on it. I will be using a 5 or 6' rotary cutter same with a rototiller and FEL/digging (to build) a pond and clearing snow from the driveway. Now for the question would a MF1736 be too much/too large for what I need? I have looked at the Kubota L3800, 3901 and the 3350SU. I've also looked at the JD3032,3038e. I'm also considering a used MF1540. There are no other dealers close by other than NH that has a bad reputation so didnt even stop. Leaning towards Kubota or one of the MF. Any thoughts?

/ too big? #2  
You will want weight for dirt work or to work on slopes. I'd look at the weight of the tractor's base unit (no FEL or BH) and purchase accordingly. Weight can be added, but generally not very inexpensive, suitcase weights and the likes are generally a buck per pound, filled tires are a few hundred bucks (and that runs out on the ground if you ever get a leak). These are good additions to have, but having a heavy base unit for dirt work provides the best stability and ability with everything else equal. A 3000# tractor with a 1000# loader loaded and lifted is not going to be as stable as a 4000# machine with a 1000# loader loaded and lifted. A 3000# tractor isn't going to have as much traction on the ground as a 4000# machine would, doing dirt work with a light machine eats the tires up from all the spinning when driving the FEL into a pile of material. I'd go with the heaviest of the machines you like.

/ too big? #3  
If you're talking about digging a pond of any size, you're gonna need more than a FEL.

/ too big?
The 1736 weighs about 800 pounds heavier than the L3800 and the 3800 weighs about 500 more than the JD. I know I will need more than just an fel to dig a pond. The 1736 just seems so friggn massive by comparison.

/ too big? #5  
The 1736 weighs about 800 pounds heavier than the L3800 and the 3800 weighs about 500 more than the JD. I know I will need more than just an fel to dig a pond. The 1736 just seems so friggn massive by comparison.

From the tractors that you listed, I would go Massey. Nothing wrong with that 1540 either as long as it has not been abused. Those are good machines. I really like having the turbo on it also. ;)

/ too big? #6  
I bought a L3800DT two years ago knowing I really needed a slightly larger tractor. Price was too good to pass at 15K w/fel. Figured I run it a couple years then trade up. But have decided it's a keeper and isn't going anywhere. Very impressed with the power, traction & nimbleness. I'll get a larger one at some point, but will keep the 3800...

/ too big?
From the tractors that you listed, I would go Massey. Nothing wrong with that 1540 either as long as it has not been abused. Those are good machines. I really like having the turbo on it also. ;)

The local dealer doesn't have a 1540 on the lot but I found a low hour used one on an auction site im waiting on some additional info/pics of for a decent price. Perfer to see it in person but its 1200 miles from my house.....pretty sure you cant do too much damage to a sub100 hour tractor that wasn't a rental unit. Which do you own? Any issues?

/ too big? #8  
The local dealer doesn't have a 1540 on the lot but I found a low hour used one on an auction site im waiting on some additional info/pics of for a decent price. Perfer to see it in person but its 1200 miles from my house.....pretty sure you cant do too much damage to a sub100 hour tractor that wasn't a rental unit. Which do you own? Any issues?

See if they can take a detailed video with their phone and send it to your phone or email. I recently bought a used tractor with 650 hours and I never set eyes on it other then looking at about 50 pics and a nice detailed 4:00 video where they went over every inch of the tractor and ran it and stuff. When the tractor showed up to my farm it exceeded my expectations condition wise.

/ too big?
See if they can take a detailed video with their phone and send it to your phone or email. I recently bought a used tractor with 650 hours and I never set eyes on it other then looking at about 50 pics and a nice detailed 4:00 video where they went over every inch of the tractor and ran it and stuff. When the tractor showed up to my farm it exceeded my expectations condition wise.

Do you recall which auction? I still need to drive one to see if how it feels....

/ too big? #10  
Do you recall which auction? I still need to drive one to see if how it feels....

It wasn't an auction it was from a used tractor dealer on Ohio. He does auctions sometimes on auction time though. I've been watching his videos for a couple of years and noticed he always seem to sell nice used stuff and always pointed out all the flaws it had. In my tractors case it had a small scratch on one of the stickers. No big deal but he still pointed it out and that helped put me at ease about buying a tractor 900 miles away. Not to mention he gave me a better trade in for my tractor then I could get for it around here.