Small Diesel 4WD Garden Tractor with snow removal options for under $5000?

/ Small Diesel 4WD Garden Tractor with snow removal options for under $5000? #1  

Spring1898

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota G1900
Greetings all, new to the forum as I have been researching small diesel garden tractors that have 4wd capability.
Bought the first house (a temporary measure until I finish school) and it has 1 acre of cutting area of uneven terrain but a lot of potential. The driveway has a total combined area of about 4 car wide and 70ft long. It is gravel and has a hill. We get about 8-11ft of snow per year (100-140")
My background in yard equipment was 3 years as a small engine mechanic on mostly lawn equipment. I was "too young" to work on the larger compact tractors.

So here is the explanation of criteria.
- Diesel is a preference because gassers with attachments drink a lot of gas and off-road diesel is about the same price as regular gas, plus the longevity.
- 4wd I am considering because of the gravel drive and hill. Blade might be possible if the tractor was heavy enough.
- I would like but don't really need full garden and rear attachment at this time, but when I hopefully buy a larger plot in the future it wouldn't hurt.
- Really not interested in the older tractors from before the 80's (cheaper probably, but I would expect more repairs due to age and I won't have a lot of time).
- Price is the biggest factor, $5,000 is a lot right now.

Kubota seems to be the only company that has small used diesel's that more or less fit the criteria and price range, but I have heard about issues with the GR series hydro trans and full time 4wd glide steer cables. There is a GR2100 (600 hours) that I found for less than $5,000 but that is the exact model with the issue.
I did use a G1800, when I lived in Ireland, but it wasn't 4wd (not that it was a problem since where I lived was flat and it doesn't really snow)
I am not opposed to larger machines, (I did look at the smaller BX tractors) but I don't know how the soft yard would handle the extra weight.
I used to assemble the JD X595's back in the day but they are very expensive used.

/ Small Diesel 4WD Garden Tractor with snow removal options for under $5000? #2  
You could find an older Kubota B series, JD or Yanmar tractor. You could use a rear finish mower to mow and a rear blade or blower for snow. A tractor would be more duarble than a gardern tractor. A tractor will hold it value better than a GT. With a tractor you will have a 3 point hitch so you could do basically anything with it. Also if you have $5k to spend on a GT you could use that as a down payment on a new Kubota BX with a mid mount mower and a blade or loader.

/ Small Diesel 4WD Garden Tractor with snow removal options for under $5000? #3  
A BX-class tractor would give you more capability and options re. implements on the back, such as snowblowers, blades, tillers, etc. There might be more to choose from in the subcompact (i.e. BX) size, but you probably won't find much with extra attachments included at your price point. Finding one that needs some TLC might save some also. There is probably more Kubota equipment out there just by volume, but the other brands are also good, so when buying used, look at the specific machine, not just what brand it is.

I'd be looking at snow blowers as the first priority with all the snow you've got! You'd run out of space to put all of it using a blade, although snowblowers and gravel sometimes don't go together very well.

The alternative is a walk-behind blower and a riding mower, but that doesn't give you much opportunity for doing more in the future without adding other equipment.

/ Small Diesel 4WD Garden Tractor with snow removal options for under $5000?
Thanks for the replies. A full size option would be nice for the future, but I think it would be too much at this point since I don't have a place to store it and the area I have to cut is not conducive to a mower of that size and weight. I would love to get something newer, but with a car and a house payment its just too much right now.

I will say that the snow normally melts in between, so its 8 ft overall but generally no more than 2 feet on the ground at a given time. I don't know how heavy a tractor needs to be to snowplow a foot of snow of varying wetness though. But yes, besides a mower, a snow removal device is the only necessary attachment at this time.

I was thinking that a walkbehind blower might take a long time and be worse on gravel since with a tractor you could at least keep the blower lifted? Not sure since I haven't done it.

/ Small Diesel 4WD Garden Tractor with snow removal options for under $5000? #5  
Your budget says to stay flexible regarding brand and even size. Roger is right about also looking for an older Kubota, Yanmar, or other brand from maybe 1985-1995...before the time of the "subcompact". About the same size and weight as a subcompact with larger wheels and more depreciated. Can be great value and very rugged. On older stuff, be sure to check that the pto is standard rpm and rotation so it'll run standard Cat I implements. Some of the old ones had their own unique configurations. Also, watch out for "grey market" imports that may or may not have adequate parts availability and definitely won't have any factory or dealer support. They can be a bargain, but you're on your own if it needs work.

Yeah definitely not looking at anything I can't get support for. I think the max limit on size and weight goes back to the B series of the late 80's. Anything larger I won't be able to store it and it won't navigate the hills and grade very well.

/ Small Diesel 4WD Garden Tractor with snow removal options for under $5000? #7  
A B7100 with 4WD & HST would make a good platform for a 48" rear mount blower.
Finding a front blower for it might be a challenge.

/ Small Diesel 4WD Garden Tractor with snow removal options for under $5000? #8  
I suspect it will really get down to what you can find that meets your criteria and budget. Watch the classifieds, Craig's list and other sites such as Tractor house to see what comes up. You will probably have to do some minor fix ups but would stay away from equipment with large problems as this can be time consuming while you are in school. I agree with the others too about looking at the older small tractors there is just more of these available to buy.

Well I am starting to negotiate on a BX2200 with 1800 hours. Used for snow removal, cutting a few acres, and bucket work. Comes with bagger (don't need), Cab (1KBXSS that is a bit rusty), and front mount hydraulic blade. Doesn't come with the FEL. Cab needs work, and I imagine that the deck might need some work. The tractor doesn't look pristine, its been used, but nothing major out of the ordinary from pictures.

Anything specific to look out for on these?

/ Small Diesel 4WD Garden Tractor with snow removal options for under $5000? #10  
I would look for one with a good used snow blower, buying a new blower would use up most of your budget.