Buying Advice JD 1530 Odd Bucket

/ JD 1530 Odd Bucket #1  

newbiefarmer

Tractor
None Yet
Hi, I am new to tractors - we mainly grow things in greenhouses but decided to expand outside to a couple of acres of vegetable cultivation, and also need something to mow a couple acres of grass.

I found an older John Deer 1530 that was used on a horse farm mainly for hay moving. It runs pretty well, and my only concern is it has kind of an odd bucket on it - it is smaller and also only has one ram for tilt.

Two questions:

1) Does this bucket suck?

2) If so, can it be replaced with a larger one without a major retrofit (e.g. new rams)

Here's an image

jd1530bucket.jpg

/ JD 1530 Odd Bucket #2  
The loader on the 1530 is one of JD's cheaper,lighter built loaders. IIRC it has no down pressure on boom cylinders. You could "blacksmith" a larger bucket on it.

/ JD 1530 Odd Bucket
Thanks for the quick response - I will check on the no down pressure on boom - in the little time i have on equipment with a loader, it seems like most of the time I am using tilt to apply downpressure are there other impacts to this design?

Also, is there a model of loader I could retrofit easily that is widely available used?

Thx

/ JD 1530 Odd Bucket #4  
Your loader is a model 37. In JD loaders models 48,145,146,175 come to mind

/ JD 1530 Odd Bucket #5  
That is not at all odd to me.
That is what most all loader buckets were many years ago.

/ JD 1530 Odd Bucket #6  
From your picture, the boom cylinders are single action, so no down pressure. :thumbdown:

/ JD 1530 Odd Bucket #7  
Hey is this loader for sale?