1978 Kubota B7100 w/ factory FEL and backhoe, what are your thoughts?

/ 1978 Kubota B7100 w/ factory FEL and backhoe, what are your thoughts? #1  

gdk22984

Tractor
none
Hi all. Recently had the opertunity to test out a 1978 B7100, 4x4 with factory FEL and backhoe (factory frame mounted) for a day. It's got 4000 hours on the meter. Some slop in the pins, but no major oil leaks from any of the cylinders of valves. It runs like a champ. I moved a small pile of loam/sod and it did okay. I did find that the front bucket doesn't quite curl enough for my liking, but it worked. I'm not a fan of a clutch and shifting all the time but it is what it is. The backhoe didn't really seem to have much power. Dug down about a foot and hit some clay and that was about all it would do.

I haven't disscused price yet, he just said here try it out as he hardly uses it. What is something like this worth? I hate to throw numbers around without a little knowledge. What about the machine? Is it decent? Thank you in advance!

/ 1978 Kubota B7100 w/ factory FEL and backhoe, what are your thoughts? #2  
I can't speak for the loader and hoe on a small machine, but the b7100s are great little tractors. I have a mid 90s model and have had zero problems with it. If the tractor has been well maintained it may serve you well just remember it's small and some jobs take longer to do. I'd lift the tractor and check for slop in bearings, pto shaft also. With 4000 hours I'd go over it good, check for blowby too. Not sure what the value might be with those attachments though, sorry. Let us know what you decide.

/ 1978 Kubota B7100 w/ factory FEL and backhoe, what are your thoughts?
I can't speak for the loader and hoe on a small machine, but the b7100s are great little tractors. I have a mid 90s model and have had zero problems with it. If the tractor has been well maintained it may serve you well just remember it's small and some jobs take longer to do. I'd lift the tractor and check for slop in bearings, pto shaft also. With 4000 hours I'd go over it good, check for blowby too. Not sure what the value might be with those attachments though, sorry. Let us know what you decide.

Thank you for the reply! I've read all good things about the 7100 series. For my needs something this size would work, and for how many times i'd use it I cant really justify spending tens of thousands on a new BX or 1 series, although they are sweet rigs. I'll check it out more this coming weekend.

/ 1978 Kubota B7100 w/ factory FEL and backhoe, what are your thoughts? #4  
I have a B7100 with FEL and factory backhoe, B/L 4520. I am surprised that the backhoe you were testing did not have much digging power. The backhoe should easily lift the rear of the tractor completely off the ground. Clay, especially compacted clay is tough, but has never been a problem with my backhoe, it has a 10" bucket. The only problem has been hardpan. Backhoe cuts very slowly and only if you know a few tricks about digging through hardpan. When digging out trees, my backhoe will easily snap 4" roots when using the bucket to curt underneath the root. I've had a lot of people laugh at my backhoe when I drive up, they usually are very impressed when they see it working.

I would love to find another factory backhoe for my other B7100, if you can, ask the dealer if he has a used one around. Woops, you are in Maine and I am in California, couldn't be any farther apart.

/ 1978 Kubota B7100 w/ factory FEL and backhoe, what are your thoughts? #5  
Having a loader FEL with a standard transmission with 4,000 hrs means there is a good chance the clutch may need replacing either now or soon.
They are reliable machines provided you recognize their limits. The cooling system without a pump could be a limitation on very hot days if doing heavy loader work.
You could work around this by ensuring the rad is free of debris and you know what the whistle signal means.
$4,000 if it is not beat up and all body parts are present and not rusted.
Dave M7040

/ 1978 Kubota B7100 w/ factory FEL and backhoe, what are your thoughts? #6  
I'm no expert, but I wonder if checking the hydraulic system pressure would tell you anything... might explain the "weak" hoe?