Which tractor for 40 acre homestead

/ Which tractor for 40 acre homestead #1  

dntfxr

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford, LS
So I'm finally getting ready to buy a new tractor and I'm trying to decide on which size and model I want. I have some good Deere and Kubota dealers nearby and I'm thinking I'd like to stick with these manufactures, I did have a nearby kioti dealer but I think they closed. I've been considering a JD 5055/65e, Kubota M7040, or Mx5100 probably lightly used or new if I can find one. Either tractor would be open station, hydraulic shuttle or hst on the smaller Mx. I own an hst tractor and 2 gear tractors, so I am familiar with both but I've only operated a hydraulic shuttle once though I liked it. I had also considered a small cab tractor but I have a lot of woods on my place and I'm afraid of busting the glass. We have a few horses, around 18 acres of pastures and the rest wooded with trails and roads, also a 1/4 mile gravel drive to maintain. I may clear a few more acres eventually but the main uses will be bushhogging, loader work and some discing and planting food plots and pastures. I'd like rthis to be the last tractor I ever buy so I want to chose wisely. I prefer simple tractors that I can work on myself too, and if at all possible I want tier 3 or 4interim instead of t 4 final. My current implements are 6', but if I end up with a larger frame tractor I'll probably gradually get larger implements. I'm torn between the mx size or stepping up to the bigger tractors. I know the mx5100 would be easier to haul than the big ones too. Any suggestions? Has anyone owned both sizes that can give me a push? Thanks for any replies

/ Which tractor for 40 acre homestead #2  
GAD man, break it up
So I'm finally getting ready to buy a new tractor and I'm trying to decide on which size and model I want.

I have some good Deere and Kubota dealers nearby and I'm thinking I'd like to stick with these manufactures, I did have a nearby kioti dealer but I think they closed. I've been considering a JD 5055/65e, Kubota M7040, or Mx5100 probably lightly used or new if I can find one.

Either tractor would be open station, hydraulic shuttle or hst on the smaller Mx. I own an hst tractor and 2 gear tractors, so I am familiar with both but I've only operated a hydraulic shuttle once though I liked it. I had also considered a small cab tractor but I have a lot of woods on my place and I'm afraid of busting the glass.

We have a few horses, around 18 acres of pastures and the rest wooded with trails and roads, also a 1/4 mile gravel drive to maintain. I may clear a few more acres eventually but the main uses will be bushhogging, loader work and some discing and planting food plots and pastures.

I'd like rthis to be the last tractor I ever buy so I want to chose wisely. I prefer simple tractors that I can work on myself too, and if at all possible I want tier 3 or 4interim instead of t 4 final. My current implements are 6', but if I end up with a larger frame tractor I'll probably gradually get larger implements. I'm torn between the mx size or stepping up to the bigger tractors. I know the mx5100 would be easier to haul than the big ones too.

Any suggestions? Has anyone owned both sizes that can give me a push? Thanks for any replies

It's a big step from an MX5100 to an M7040. I've an M4700, about the same size as the MX5100 and drool over M7040's.

If your comfortable with the gear tractors the 7040 will probably do everything you run across. Check out loader capacity, the 7040 runs a LA1153, the 5100 a LA844. Kubota used to label their loaders in Kilogramsm My M4700 has a LA1100 and lifts 2,200 lbs. If you are lifting round bales, logs, etc. this may be important.

/ Which tractor for 40 acre homestead #3  
Dear dntfxr, I would go with either the M7040 or the newest version the M7060 Hydraulic shuttle trans.and either R1 tires if you are going to do a lot of field work,such as plowing, disking,ect more than anything else.For all around use I like R4 tires.The choice is up to you I have R4 tires on mine and do everything with no issues. Whatever one's you get add FLUID and WEIGHT on the rears especially with a LOADER.For the money KUBOTA is hard to beat!

/ Which tractor for 40 acre homestead #4  
for what your wanting todo a 7040 will more than fill your needs.i stepped up from the mx5100hst rops 4x4 fel.to the 7040su rops 4x4 fel.the 7040 will lift 5 by 6s with ease.

/ Which tractor for 40 acre homestead
Thanks folks, I appreciate the good advise. I've been leaning toward the large Kubota, just considering all my options before I decide. I got to thinking last night that maybe the size of the mx5100 would be better for tight places and be more portable. I do have other smaller machines that would serve that purpose though. I've operated a M7040 hydro cab model briefly and it seemed a bit large but I think that was mostly the cab that made it bulkier.

Btw, I apologize for the lack of paragraphs and indentations. I was in a hurry at work and on the phone app. Even now my tablet doesn't allow for indentation...

GAD man, ...

.... Kilogramsm

...Sorry man I couldn't help it. ;)

/ Which tractor for 40 acre homestead #6  
handling large round bails for the horses = FEL lift capacity. would most likely set min tractor size / loader capacity
if you plan on running a baler (round or square) = PTO 540 or 1000RPM along with needed HP at the PTO. would set min tractor hp.
18 acres of pastures... a bat wing double deck rotatory cutter (bush hog = brand bran name) may also pre determined min HP at PTO and if you want 540 or 1000 RPM PTO option.

how are you dealing with the large round bails? single row stacking? or double stack? a higher lift FEL plus lift capacity might be wanted. along with a wider stance wheels (either swapping rims around for wider stance, or wheel spacers) to help to keep tractor from tipping over.

with you down were ya at, i would imagine high humidity, and high temps. a cab with A/C option might be ticket for ya long term. a cab to keep dust off ya / bugs away. with/out a/c don't know about that with the high humidty/high temps.

trails and driveway, a TNT (top n tilt) hyd cylinders replace top link and a side link on 3 pt hitch, would be advise to make it easier / quicker use of rear blades, box blades, rear rakes, and like.

R1 tires

extra rear remotes 2 min suggest 3 if going with TNT.

general FEL plus perhaps 1 extra front fel hyd remote (grapel or other device attached to fel)

cabs normally come with the higher work lights (front and rear) if open station, might suggest getting the larger alternator option if available, to run the extra lights on the ROPs / winch options that may use electrical. nice in winter times, when ya get home from work, and you just missed the light. and needing to feed the animals. the lights come in handy...(hooking up to 3pt hitch stuff, finding your way to the gate/lock, seeing the feeding ring...)

HST / SHUTTLE shift / or like transmission that is not straight manual gear shift, would most likely be suggest for a good amount of loader work. quicker/easier to change from forward/reverse, and adjust speed going into and out of horse stals, dirt pile, adjust speed into a round bale. without having to jack around with a gear shiftier.

TractorData.com Kubota B7100 tractor information
TractorData.com Ford 3610 tractor information
TractorData.com John Deere 2040 tractor information
Zero Turn Mower IS 700Z | Ferris ZTR Commercial Mowers

/ Which tractor for 40 acre homestead #7  
I'm enjoying my 7060 HSTC :)

/ Which tractor for 40 acre homestead #8  
Thanks folks, I appreciate the good advise. I've been leaning toward the large Kubota, just considering all my options before I decide. I got to thinking last night that maybe the size of the mx5100 would be better for tight places and be more portable. I do have other smaller machines that would serve that purpose though. I've operated a M7040 hydro cab model briefly and it seemed a bit large but I think that was mostly the cab that made it bulkier. Btw, I apologize for the lack of paragraphs and indentations. I was in a hurry at work and on the phone app. Even now my tablet doesn't allow for indentation... ...Sorry man I couldn't help it. ;)

If you have other smaller machines then I would definitely go with the 7040/7060, it will do all you have mentioned with ease.

/ Which tractor for 40 acre homestead #9  
Do you plan on keeping the B7100? If so, then go with the 7040 without a doubt. If not, I'd still lean towards the bigger tractor.

/ Which tractor for 40 acre homestead #10  
i concur with all of the above. having owned L series & an mx5000, the step up to the M series is a giant leap. for the diversity of your tasks, 7040 (if you can find) or other M model will fit you like a glove. smart move on hyd shuttle. best of luck

Last edited: