Block heaters

/ Block heaters #1  

Madman_Mark

If I'm not going to use my tractor for a week is it safe to leave it plugged in all week ?
It's kept outside and most days and nights are below freezing here this time of year.

/ Block heaters #2  
One of the common causes of barn fires during the winter is the block heater cords shorting out. Need I say more!

/ Block heaters
It's kept outside.
Will it cause damage to the block heater or tractor or will it just short out the extension cord ?

/ Block heaters #4  
I've been plugging my fleet of diesel trucks in every day of every winter for the past 15 years without any problems.

BUT it is reasonable to take some sensible safety measures. First, use a heavy duty extention cord, and don't use one that is longer than it needs to be, and don't use a low amp (10amp) cord. Spend the extra $3 or $4 and get a 13amp or a 15 amp cord, the shorter the better. And throw away any cord that you damage in any way. We change our cords every few years and I think that is cheap insurance against any problems. Don't plug a good cord into a damaged receptical.

MOST fires related to block heaters are caused by frayed cords, hot cords, damaged recepticals, electrical overloads, and every one of those things is easily avoidable if you use some common sense.

/ Block heaters #5  
Another thing that you can do is buy a timer of the proper current rating to mate up with the block heater. Set it to be on 2hrs and off for 4 or what ever that you think would work best for you. An answer to your question is no , it will not hurt it to be plugged in all week but it will shorten the life of the block heater.

/ Block heaters #6  
And in virtually every case, the problem was with the extension cord being frayed, too long, undersized, etc. I use one of those short (six foot) 15 amp cords used for washers and replace it every couple of years for cheap insurance.

Pete

/ Block heaters #7  
Mark, if you are not going to use the tractor for a week, it would seem to me to be a big waste of electricity to leave the block heater plugged in. All you should need to do is plug it in about 4 hours before you plan to use it. You are not really trying to keep your tractor warm, just make it easier to start in the cold. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Block heaters #8  
You let it set for a week where is it at I
will come and keep it company. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DougM

/ Block heaters #9  
Extension cords are also rated for ambient temperature service. I beleive the blue is the colder rating.

You can leave it plugged in full time, run it on a timer or plugin about 4 hours prior to use. The last method is the one I'd use to as the cheapest on pwer consumption. In very cold situations leaving it plugged in for longer length of time is helpfull as heat is transfered to other parts of the tractor.

Egon

/ Block heaters #10  
Our local Agway store sells a temperature switch that you plug into, the heater will only come on at certain temps. I imagine it would reduce electricity consumption somewhat, however you would still have the issue of the heater being on for extended periods of cold when the machine may not be used for days.