Have John Deere 350 Dozer question

/ Have John Deere 350 Dozer question #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
My brother is looking at a Deere 350 dozer and I don't know the difference between the 350 variations.

My only experience with Dozers in my Cat D3.

Here is a picture of the data plate. 01212_HPdmDY5CjW_600x450.jpg

/ Have John Deere 350 Dozer question
Well... I put it though it's paces today... seemed to run and operate OK... no problem pushing a full blade of dirt up a slight incline.

First time I've operated a dozer that had hand levers... something to get use to.

Had some visible smoke out the exhaust when changing engine RPM

Started easily, good looking rear sprockets and pins...

Not quite sure what to expect with a 44 year old dozer and it was not any easier comparing it to my D3...

/ Have John Deere 350 Dozer question #3  
Non-Current Crawler Dozers From John Deere

you should be able to get "parts diagrams / part numbers" through John Deere Home Page Redirect and going through "construction" vs "agriculture" selection when looking up parts

a shop/service manual might be advise, it should give much better "diagrams vs the parts diagram" and give extra info of how to tear stuff apart and put it back together, along with check for this and that, for trouble shooting.

===============
buying used stuff, ya better off going around and trying multi units out there, only real way to get some experience, and test driving various machines that you might want to buy. it is not a brand/model thing. it is how good of condition is it in thing. when buying used more so much older stuff.

^^^ Thanks Boggen...

Kind of on the fence because if there is a problem... I know I will most likely be the one dealing with it...

Kind of the reason I steered my brother to a new Kubota L3800 TLB... which has been great so far.

/ Have John Deere 350 Dozer question #5  
6.342 posts *didn't catch it last time i replied* ya know the drill. change filters, grease it, PB blaster stuff up, to help work the nuts / bolts, make sure your gauges work. beyond that it is pretty much babying it, till ya find out it capability, then back off some on the max so ya not over heating machine. or the saying is..."machine is over heating" but reality your dead tired and beaten up yourself from running the machine ;)

if your not use to track machines, and staying up with how to maintain and adjust the tracks, ya most likely should do so. some of the stuff a year or so back when researching, caught me off guard, on how different machines adjust tension on tracks, and oilers / greasers for the tracks, and checking to see if tracks or gears / pulleys that the tracks run on our worn out or not.

Narrowed it down to two JD 350 dozers priced the same even though there is a 12 year difference in age...

One is a 350C with the wet Clutch Pack and the other a straight 350 with dry.

I've heard the wet last longer and the dry is simply to service?

Update...

Decided on the 350C and brought it home this week...

Looks to be straight machine and didn't have the smoke pouring out the exhaust like many of the others I looked at.

Still have to get used to the lever steering...

Probably need to pick up a disc and open to suggestions on sizing and type for the 350C crawler?

Has a simple drawbar on the back... no 3-point.

/ Have John Deere 350 Dozer question #8  
Pictures? What are you going to use the dozer for? As for size, I cannot help. No experience.

I'm photgrapically challenged... no cell phone and my last photoshop programs were on my Windows 98 PC.

Had a couple of hours yesterday after work to give it a try... so far so good.

Lots of smaller projects like putting in required fire breaks, scraping away brush and getting rid of old tree stumps from a Christmas tree farm...

Been looking for a disc that I could use the draw-bar to pull.

Starts right up and the controls are very responsive... just the operator needs work... still trying to step on the pedals to steer like the D3 I was use to... the and then I remember the levers...

/ Have John Deere 350 Dozer question #10  
the issue is... due you have a rear hyd remote? or some place to hook up an additional hyd unit? looking at specs, 42net HP engine, ya have weight and traction way covered.

but with only a simple draw bar. and weight of stuff you could toss on behind it.... it sure would be nice to have an hydraulic gauge wheels or running wheels or some sort of wheels to help raise/lower it. without getting off and using old hand crank style of method to raise/lower wheels.

you have 3 other tractors, size something for one of them, for a pull behind disc. and i would imagine the dozer would take what ever ya give it. actually dozer might be able to take something slightly larger, now that i look at tractordata for other tractors, due to just pure weight and traction dozer has. but seems kinda silly sizing a disc just for dozer, when you could run it behind one of the other tractors as well.

personally would be more interested in rippers / large sacrifice teeth like a box blade might have. for rear end of dozer. but i can also understand wanting a disc. to kinda slightly till the top 1/2" to 1" of the soil and then at same time almost even everything out nice and flat (with in reason of what a disc can do by itself), i tend to run the disc i have, with extra weight on it, and then at higher speeds. so i get more tossing of dirt around to smooth things out. vs at slower speeds that causes more tilling / turning of the soil.