Buying Advice Help !! Trying to decide which new compact tractor to buy

/ Help !! Trying to decide which new compact tractor to buy #21  
Awilk, as far as Massey goes, if you go to the their website you will see 1500, 1600, and 1700 series. LEach series has a couple of models in the size range you listed. Their lineup is a little confusing with some overlap in each series and they even came out with an economy 1700 "e" series. Basically the last two numbers indicate hp which would be a starting point when you reference different models.

My suggestion is look at the online brochure and then it would be worth your while to stop and check out what the local dealer has to get a feel if they interest you. Massey does make some full featured tractors with good power/hydro flow.

A member that goes by TSO has had high praise for LS tractors and recently changed to a Massey. Anyway, if he chimes in he will make good points on each line. You will sort it out, just take your time. The good news is, IMO, is that most major manufacturers put out pretty good products. Good luck and enjoy your search.
I think TSO also offered to sell his MF already on one of his posts, but that may just be my assumption.

I have both LS and Kubota and both are nice tractors. Kioti is supposedly nice but lack of dealers in my area put me off on them. JD is not worth the price as most here agree that they are no longer made in USA and some may even be made in China as they have a new plant there. They may not sell those models here YET but it will be coming. The Korean tractors all seem to be better built with more options included that cost you big money on other tractors.

I was ready to buy a MF when I bought my LS until I sat on one and it just wasn't a good fit ergonomically for me. Mahindra was side by side with the LS and while Mahindra is hailed as a great tractor, the fit and finish just wasn't comparable to the LS.

I may have bought a Kubota and it was one of the first tractors I looked at, but dealer was so arrogant that he wouldn't even return my calls. He was too busy to even talk to me when I stopped by his dealerships (2 of them owned by same person) even when I told him I was looking for 50+ HP tractor with a cab which would have been about the largest sale he would have on his lot. He never returned either of my two follow up calls either. I found my B26 TLB used thanks to a TBN member and really like it. It really complements my big utility LS and it is my go to tractor for many of my chores. The LS still gets the big jobs though.

I don't have any experience with the smaller LS models but it seems that folks recommend getting the 3038 rather than the 3033 when looking at that model. You get a few more options on it, plus more HP in the same frame size for just a few hundred more dollars. With the new X model tier 4's coming out, some things may change and some models may not be offered any longer, but take a closer look at the LS. They have better warranty (3years) than many of the bigger names like Kubota and their 1 year warranty.

/ Help !! Trying to decide which new compact tractor to buy #22  
I am getting ready to purchase 2 acres that is heavily wooded and will be trying to prepare the land to build a house on.

I would also like to use this tractor for occasional use in seeding lawns and landscaping projects for customers.

The main things I'm wanting to use with the tractor is brush hog, box blade and front end loader.

You are conflicted in your aims. For two acres/homeowner use a sub-compact tractor with around twenty horsepower and having a Category 1 Three Point Hitch and a weight of around 2,000 pounds should be adequate.

However, for commercial work you will want at least 35 horsepower, a Category 1 Three Point Hitch and a weight of at least 4,000 pounds.

Sub-compact tractors are not engineered for the stress of commercial work. Nor do they have the stability required, which comes with a wider stance and more frame weight. Sub-compacts most often use 48" wide implements. Even small commercial jobs would require a long time. Sub-compacts generally have 9" ground clearance; this limits your ability to work in woods and over uneven ground.

Last edited:
   / Help !! Trying to decide which new compact tractor to buy #23  
You are conflicted in your aims. For two acres/homeowner use a sub-compact tractor with around twenty horsepower and having a Category 1 Three Point Hitch and a weight of around 2,000 pounds should be adequate.

However, you will want at least 35 horsepower, a Category 1 Three Point Hitch and a weight of at least 4,000 pounds for commercial work.

Sub-compact tractors are not engineered for the stress of commercial work. Nor do they have the stability required, which comes with a wider stance and more frame weight. Sub-compacts most often use 48" wide implements. Even small jobs would require a long time. Sub-compacts generally have 9" ground clearance; this limits your ability to work in woods and over uneven ground.

jeff sums it up pretty good. of what i was about to say.

2 acres... stay with a SCUT (sub compact utilty tractor), and higher/rent/contract the work out for dealing with clearing, house, shed.

other words higher stuff out for the big stuff, were much bigger machines can be used and done quicker. and then buy more of a maintenance machine for upkeep around the house/shed/2 acres.

but as jeff noted... bigger unit...for other stuff/commercial work... you might be served with a bigger unit, or going with a "skid steer" so much more workable in tight small spaces. and more ready for commercial work.

skid steers are down right mean little units that have a great amount of power. attachments/implements cost a tad more for them vs there 3pt hitch counter part. but...

/ Help !! Trying to decide which new compact tractor to buy #24  
I agree that the LS G3033 is probably the best bang for buck tractor of the ones you mentioned . If you could swing a slightly higher budget, I would recommend the G3038 instead, because you get more horsepower and with capacity with the same size tractor.

For the amount of property that you have, that is probably the largest overall size that I would go with. I don't have anything against the SCUT sized tractors, but if you get one, you will be very limited for future endeavors. Something like the G3038 or Kubota L3800 ... Can still fit on your property but has enough power to get by if you ever need it for larger tasks.

I started out with a Kioti CK20. Good tractor, put 200 hrs on it and sold it for 1000 less than I paid. It had a couple warranty repairs needed, but otherwise was a good tractor. I then upgraded to a larger tractor, a LS R4041 shuttle. I put 50 hours on it and realized I hated the shuttle. I upgraded to a LS R4047 HST and put 150 hours on it. It was very good, only problem I ever had was the headlight fuse that blew twice.

I decided that I wanted a cab tractor, so I shopped all the brands again and ended up with this Massey 1648 cab. I've put over 250 hours on it since January. I use it commercially, as well as on my own property and small "farm" and I work it hard. It has been perfectly flawless and it is a fantastic tractor. Based upon my own personal tractor ownership experiences, I would say that this Massey has been the best tractor I've owned.

But, I am finding that I occasionally run out of horsepower. If I ever sold this tractor, it would not be because I was unhappy with it, it would be because I needed more power.

Anyhow ... OP, good luck with your shopping. My advice would be to go sit on each tractor and play with it for a bit before you make your final decision.

/ Help !! Trying to decide which new compact tractor to buy #25  
I agree on upsizing a bit.

Even with upsizing, I don't think you're gonna knock down any trees with a 35hp tractor except for really small ones. You said your place is heavily timbered. What's your plan for clearing the trees? The best solution is to hire a dozer or rent an excavator. If you're gonna do it with a tractor, you will need a backhoe and a LOT of time on your hands.

/ Help !! Trying to decide which new compact tractor to buy
Thanks, everyone for all the good info. I think I've decided on the ls brand 3033 or 3038 because of the price and features. I mainly want the tractor to hall cut fire wood and brush around the property for burning and as well as using it to grade the driveway ,as far as knocking down the trees I have a friend that has a small dozer and back hoe so he can do that. I have about 10 months to clear the land so time isn't too much of an issue.

Now I just need to figure out if the prices are good I was quoted the prices before tax are Ls3033 shuttle $15,300. 3033 hydro $16,250. LS 3038 shuttle 16,000 3038 hydro $16940..... I'm leaning toward the 3033 shuttle because of price and the amount of use it will get ( I doubt more than 100 hours a year for 2 years than after that much less). What do you guys think ?

/ Help !! Trying to decide which new compact tractor to buy #27  
Thanks, everyone for all the good info. I think I've decided on the ls brand 3033 or 3038 because of the price and features. I mainly want the tractor to hall cut fire wood and brush around the property for burning and as well as using it to grade the driveway ,as far as knocking down the trees I have a friend that has a small dozer and back hoe so he can do that. I have about 10 months to clear the land so time isn't too much of an issue.

Now I just need to figure out if the prices are good I was quoted the prices before tax are Ls3033 shuttle $15,300. 3033 hydro $16,250. LS 3038 shuttle 16,000 3038 hydro $16940..... I'm leaning toward the 3033 shuttle because of price and the amount of use it will get ( I doubt more than 100 hours a year for 2 years than after that much less). What do you guys think ?

For a mere $1640, the jump from 3033 shuttle up to a 3038 HST is a no brainer ... spend the money. HST is better for practically every application except plowing. Both from personal experience and user reviews... overwhelmingly, folks recommend HST.

/ Help !! Trying to decide which new compact tractor to buy #28  
X 2 on that

/ Help !! Trying to decide which new compact tractor to buy #29  
x3 on the hydrostat. And the jump to the 3038. The prices seem pretty good to me.

/ Help !! Trying to decide which new compact tractor to buy #30  
Yep, you won't regret the extra HP or the hydro.