New Holland Boomer

/ New Holland Boomer #1  

Brennan

Tractor
Boomer 20
Hi folks bought a New Holland Boomer 20 with loader and hoe new in December of 2012 from Bull International in Washington PA. We have the tractor for about a year and a half and have had nothing but trouble it. The list is actually to long to post but have mainly been electrical issues the render the unit dead. When we went to test it it would not start. the next day they said they fixed when we went back it would not start. A couple days later the hoe came in and when we went to pick it up it and it was not ready (although promised to be). It was sitting outside and we watched them push it inside to install the hoe, because you guessed it it would not start. At that point we said we did not want it but all the papers were in place including 0% financing and a rebate that was ending that day. Anyway, we reluctantly went through with the purchase and what a mistake. This is hands down the worst piece of equipment I ever bought and I am 50 years old. Basically, this is weak tractor made by LS tractor in Korea from lots of sourced parts with New Holland paint and badge. Living with this thing is misery as it breaks down in the middle of jobs. It is completely unreliable and a real piece of feces. It only has a couple of hundred hours on it and has been towed in dead 6 times and we have had 3 field calls. This on top of us keeping it going with our fixes. Today it is dead again and being towed as I type this. This is the 10th major breakdown (won't run). We have a great older Kubota and I called the Kubota dealer to see if I could trade it. They said the Boomer series has a bad history and would not take it on trade. The recommended we take it to a equipment and tractor auction place in the next county and sell it and come see them about a new B series. Anyway, I tried to save $4,000 over a Kubota or JD and go with New Holland and what a mistake. While I know New Holland makes good equipment these boomers are "sourced tractors from Korea" and are not designed or built by New Holland. What a shame New Holland has gone down this road - it sure to tarnish their image. In summation don't buy this tractor. People in the know admit they have a lot of issues even some of the people at New Holland corporate and our dealer. When I bought it they were a new line with no real track record. Now that the word is out BUYER BEWARE!

/ New Holland Boomer #2  
I have the Ls version of this tractor which is a 2014 J2023. With almost 50 hrs. have to say it has been flawless. This tractor will do as much as if not more than my neighbors 27hp JD. Either LS has made some major changes since 2012 or you received a lemon. Just an FYI almost every tractor on the market is either made in Korea or Japan.

/ New Holland Boomer
I have the Ls version of this tractor which is a 2014 J2023. With almost 50 hrs. have to say it has been flawless. This tractor will do as much as if not more than my neighbors 27hp JD. Either LS has made some major changes since 2012 or you received a lemon. Just an FYI almost every tractor on the market is either made in Korea or Japan.

Glad to hear that your 2014 with 50 hours runs well. To be honest your tractor should be flawless since it is basically brand new. I will be curious to see how you feel down the road after some good (possibly even some hard use) use. I am well aware that many tractors are built in Asia. I have been around equipment all my life and I presently own 4 other tractors tractors... However, there is NO comparison between Kubota and one of these new LS Tractors with blue plastic hood and fenders and New Holland Stickers. New Holland makes very good products. Unfortunately, New Holland did not makes this - the only thing New Holland here is the blue hood and fenders (all plastic) and decals. Anyway, we need a small work tractor and silly me bought this..................

/ New Holland Boomer #4  
The electrical system really isn't that complicated on the boomers. What exactly is the dealer telling you they have done to test and try to resolve what is clearly a warranty issue, since they couldn't even deliver it to you running?

Are you here to vent, or are you looking for advice and solutions to resolve it?

Do you have no crank, crank but no start, etc? When it's dying in the field, is it just cutting out? I'm assuming they have tested or replaced all the safety interlock switches?

/ New Holland Boomer #5  
And it sounds like you have a really, really crappy dealer that would even think of handed the keys to a customer when they know it had issues. What has the new holland regional rep told you on why it can't be fixed? Have you taken it to another dealer to be fixed under warranty?

All mechanical devices are bound to have some problems, especially when they aren't mass produced by the millions. What separates the crappy ones from the good ones are the dealer network and name plate that stands behind their product. What reasons are you being given that it is still broken?

/ New Holland Boomer
And it sounds like you have a really, really crappy dealer that would even think of handed the keys to a customer when they know it had issues. What has the new holland regional rep told you on why it can't be fixed? Have you taken it to another dealer to be fixed under warranty?

All mechanical devices are bound to have some problems, especially when they aren't mass produced by the millions. What separates the crappy ones from the good ones are the dealer network and name plate that stands behind their product. What reasons are you being given that it is still broken?

I am not hear to vent but to warn others of the issues. Is that not one of the functions of this forum? I thought the thread I replied to was someone asking advise on a small tractor purchase and specifically a Boomer?????

Also, it seems that you are suggesting the dealer can make a crappy product good? Hmmmm. Well I will take a good product and a crappy dealer any day over a crappy product and a great dealer any day!!!

Since I purchased a New Holland Boomer 20 new in December of 2012 and have had a lot of issues, and, I am just informing others. If you search around I think you will find many posts about Boomers on the net. I understand that all mechanical devices have issues. I also understand as well that poorly designed and built ones have more issues than well engineered and built ones. I have never posted on any site before over anything and I am not a complainer. We needed a small tractor for little fencing jobs and retaining walls and I did not know that this was a product NOT made, designed, engineered or produced by New Holland. I am all new to this and have never posted before. The thread I replied to was someone making a decision on which tractor to purchase. As an owner and purchasing one new and paying about 20 Grand would NOT recommend any of these Korean produced machines which are sold under the Boomer Line by New Holland to anyone! They simply are NOT up to the quality standards of the machines than New Holland actually designs and builds or that of say Kubota. I walked right by the Mahindras at this place and now, upon further thought, I wish I would have bought one of them.

Simply put I wanted to inform others the true origins of these Boomers and that they are not the true standards of those actually made by New Holland. As far as the dealer I am NOT happy with them either. The first time it got towed in they told us it would be 2 weeks before it was even off the flat bed. We have not tried another dealer as the closest one I know of is about 2 hours away. As far as a solution it is under warranty and it is back at the dealer. We have had several hydraulic issues and a lot of electrical with this unit. Sometimes it will crank and sometimes it wont. The ignition switch, seat switch, pedal switch and computer have all been replaced (that I know of). As far as cutting out or just dead it has mostly been just dead. This last incident it seemingly stalled and when we went to restart it was DOA.

Thanks for the advice on replacing all the safety switches. I will ask them.

/ New Holland Boomer #7  
I see you are new to the forum with only a few posts, but you don't "reply to threads". This is a new thread and simply looks like a rant because the thread you would have read before replying will go out of order depending on last post. I think you may have intended to reply to a post in a thread.

The thread would have had a lot different tone if you would stop bashing the manufacturer for choosing a manufacturer. There are very few actual manufacturers and new holland actually uses several. There are many happy users of both the new holland branded ones and the LS and Shibaura ones.

Unless I misread, you mentioned one single electrical issue that was causing stalling and not starting. This alone does not make for a bad product and your dealer should never have allowed it off the lot. The fault here is entirely with your dealer. They should have either fixed it before delivering it to you, or fixed it under warranty, the first time. Your blame should be pointed at your dealer, not New Holland, unless their escalation on the failed repairs is not helping.

So what are all these other hydraulic issues you are having? The great thing on out this forum is that it is an awesome resource to fix all those things that are broken or not working as expected.

The boomer 20 is a sub compact. What is it not able to do that the dealer advised you it could? When I bought my boomer 30, the dealer was really good at advising what the machine could do and what on my list of wants it wasn't really up for. Again this is on the dealer for selling you a possibly inappropriate tool for the job. Is it not able to do the tasks it is advertised to do?

/ New Holland Boomer #8  
Sounds like the dealer has yet to fix the one problem.

/ New Holland Boomer #9  
Hi Brennan. Just wanted to express sympathy that you've had a bad experience with your brand new tractor. That's supposed to be a positive experience, and it sounds like yours has been anything but positive so far. The brand and the manufacturer of your machine have good reputations and the fact it was Korean made probably has little to do with it either (just my opinion, of course). There do appear to be some things that are profoundly out of order with your particular machine. These compact tractors are sent to ther dealer in a semi-complete condition and require several hours of final set-up at the dealer. Once that is done, the dealer should do a thorough run-in of the unit to make sure everything is working properly before any customer every lays a finger on the machine. That does not seem to have occurred with your tractor.

The fact it was flaky even before you bought the thing (wouldn't start when they were installing the backhoe) suggests it had problems from the beginning. Who knows what caused those problems, but you are now 18 months into owning it. The lapse of time may make it harder to get a fair shake from the dealer, but I think it's time to have a "come to the Lord" conversation with the owner or general manager at the dealership about all the problems you've had with this tractor they stampeded you into buying. Hopefully you have good documentation and the dealer is a stand-up kind of guy.

/ New Holland Boomer #10  
Sorry to hear you had bad luck with your Boomer. Fortunately, there are very few problems reported with the Boomers and Farmall B lines made by LS. There are similarly very few reported serious problems in the LS forum.

Just a bit of advice....when you start out as a new member on a forum, and your only posts are to vent, complain, or bash a product, most folks won't give it much credit.