Would you pay extra to have hauling included for "free"?

/ Would you pay extra to have hauling included for "free"? #81  
Worked for three of the largest car and truck dealers in Dayton Ohio- one in business for over 75 years. Not one of these owned a wrecker for the dealership or body shop. Ran heavy equipment and everyone had a service truck or lowboy to call on to get it back to the shop. Different business models.

/ Would you pay extra to have hauling included for "free"? #82  
With or without a trailer the simple answer for me is No I would not pay extra for it. In fact putting so much emphasis on hauling for warrantee work might just scare me a way from the product and have me looking at an other brand of machine. On second thought there is no might or maybe about it I would walk right into your competitors showroom and look much harder at their machines than ever before.

/ Would you pay extra to have hauling included for "free"? #83  
It looks to me like the responders in this thread are a microcosm of Dave's customers. Most folks don't mind/expect that they will have to pay for or do the hauling of their tractor for warranty work, while a few expect that all of the hauling should be covered under warranty. My opinion, for what it's worth, is an echo of a previous poster that suggested just keep doing what you're doing, and have sales guys emphasize that hauling for warrnty work is not included.

For those that might be scared away by the emphasis (and by no means am I picking on paulfun9 alone), I don't think that there are any brands of tractors that cover hauling under their standard warranty - I could certainly be wrong on that, but I think that's pretty standard fare. Similarly, there may be a few dealers (examples given on this thread) that either provide free or minimal charge hauling or on-site service for their customers, but they are rare in my area.

My expectation, and it was made clear to me by my dealer, is that I am on the hook for any hauling related to warranty work. Did that scare me away or affect my decision to purchase? No, because it was my level of expectation. Someone including hauling would have surprised me. I didn't have to have any warranty work done during my warranty period, so it was not an issue. I did have to have a fairly major yet simple (?) repair done several years ago - had to split the tractor to replace a small part on the shuttle shift mechanism, and when I called the dealer to arrange pickup, I expected to pay for travel both ways (and it's about 70 miles - one way). However, they were delivering a new tractor very near to me and if I could wait a day (just one day, in this case, good luck) then they would haul it to the shop for free.

I still paid the return trip, however when my repaired tractor came back, not only had it been repaired as promised, and quickly (it was picked up on a Monday and returned the following Friday), but they had also replaced the seat, which was in horrible condition, with a seat that had a minor imperfection that they had to take off of a new tractor and replace (it looked like new to me) at no cost. Additionally, since the guy that comes once a week to clean all of their tractors was there while mine was sitting on the lot, it got cleaned as well, and looked better than it had in years.

Having said all that, I still would have been satisfied if I had to pay the hauling both ways and only got the repair done, but the dealer exceeded my expectations and doing so ensures my repeat business and I make every effort to send other business his way as well. I'm sure that there are also many other dealers that are this good to work with, across all brands - I'm just really glad that mine is as good as he is.

Good luck and take care.

/ Would you pay extra to have hauling included for "free"?
Great feedback, and nice summary rtimgray.

I wish the manufacturers would cover hauling like done in the car industry, but if they did we must remember that the customer would actually pay for it in the initial price as the dealer would pay more for the tractor from the manufacturer. If all brands took this on as a standard, all prices might go up a little and it would not put anyone at a price disadvantage. As for warranty being a profit center, it is not. The warranty flat rate times are ridiculously tight. But it generally will cover costs and that is nice.

Often a tractor will go 5 years and have no warranty issues, so for most folks this never gets on the radar, except a similar conversation happens when they are ready for a service. You can just drive your car to the shop and drop it off, but a tractor is more difficult if you don't have a trailer.

As to the suggestion that if a huge emphasis is placed on hauling at the time of sale it may scare off a customer, that is a really good point.

I'm thinking the initial delivery should be free and hauling for any warranty issue that crops up immediately, say within the first 30 days should also be free. Beyond that, offer reduced hauling for patient folks that can have their tractor picked up on a backhaul. And perhaps put together an extended warranty type program that covers hauling and maybe an additional program that includes normal services as well. Kind of like, pay $xxx and for 5 years you will have zero out of pocket costs for warranty issues, hauling, and normal scheduled maintenance. Not covered would be damage from dropping rocks on your hood, running over a piece of rebar, etc. I don't buy extended warranties, but some folks prefer the piece of mind even though it surely costs more on average or their would not be companies selling them.

/ Would you pay extra to have hauling included for "free"? #85  
Dave,

You are simply stuck with the world the way it is right now.

Tractors aren't cars, averages don't work (numbers are too small) and distances vary greatly. You are not going to find a model that works.

If you try to factor transportation into the initial purchase you will no longer be competitive and you will lose sales. If you promise fixed costs for transport and gas/diesel goes through the roof (again) you will lose your shorts.

My recommendation: put up with those who complain. Be polite but firm. Everyone pays their share (meaning customer pays for tractor hauling) until the industry as a whole changes.

(I very much approve of your loaner trailer - but I don't have a vehicle that could haul it, so it would not work for me anyhow. Same for dealer selling tractor/trailer packages - no go.)

/ Would you pay extra to have hauling included for "free"? #86  
I just happened to notice this on my B3200 today. It has been there all the time.

image-2046449415.jpg

/ Would you pay extra to have hauling included for "free"? #87  
My dealer is 50 miles from me, and 70 from my tractor. He delivered it for free, 70 miles each way with a rolloff, and made two trips with a service truck for free to fix a hydraulic leak (of course the o-ring that was leaking was the one part he didn't have in stock). He knows that I am an informed consumer, and that I buy parts and implements from him and at his auctions. He saved me $10 grand over both major brands on my short list, with no haggle pricing. He knows that I will be returning to him for parts and supplies.

I don't have a trailer, nor a truck to haul it in with myself. I cannot even justify that cost simply for the occasional hauling that I might need. I would not expect him to haul it for free, even for warranty work. He did tell me during pre-sale discussions that he would haul it in at a reasonable rate. Simple.

/ Would you pay extra to have hauling included for "free"? #88  
Our dealer is 150 miles away (yes, I live on the other edge of nowhere) and my tractors come plastered with a larger sticker reminding us that transport to and from the dealer is not a part of warranty, but the dealer makes exceptions. When the rear crank seal blew out on my neighbor's less than year old New Holland, he transported for free. I term it "customer goodwill" a policy Caterpillar has for use at their district reps discretion when they feel the customer has suffered a loss that from the companies perspective, the customer should feel no pain. Not sure if this was paid by New Holland or eaten by the dealer. A problem with these policies is they usually benefit the big buyer. Jerry's tractor cost over $150k. Would he have been treated the same was if it was a $35k tractor? If I have a problem I may get the preferred customer treatment. We are so far from the dealer they sometimes send me parts to repair neighbor's equipment that's under warranty because the need is immediate and killing a mechanic's entire day with mostly travel time doesn't make sense.

/ Would you pay extra to have hauling included for "free"? #89  
it is easier to cut and paste..... I agree with your atemetn

"I'm thinking the initial delivery should be free and hauling for any warranty issue that crops up immediately, say within the first 30 days should also be free. Beyond that, offer reduced hauling for patient folks that can have their tractor picked up on a backhaul. And perhaps put together an extended warranty type program that covers hauling and maybe an additional program that includes normal services as well. Kind of like, pay $xxx and for 5 years you will have zero out of pocket costs for warranty issues, hauling, and normal scheduled maintenance. Not covered would be damage from dropping rocks on your hood, running over a piece of rebar, etc. I don't buy extended warranties, but some folks prefer the piece of mind even though it surely costs more on average or their would not be companies selling them."

/ Would you pay extra to have hauling included for "free"? #90  
I would just like to pay for hauling as needed for major repairs. I do my own maintenance. If I could not change the fluids and filters then a hauling service contract would be good.