Comparison Used Kubota 2620 TLB or new Mahindra 3016 similarly equipped

/ Used Kubota 2620 TLB or new Mahindra 3016 similarly equipped #1  

TheIglu

Bronze Member
Tractor
1962 IH B414 Diesel, 2008 Kubota B2620
Little background for you:

3 acres of wooded rocky hilly property with zero landscaping.

500 foot dirt/gravel driveway on a hill

Large 7 car parking area surrounded on two sides by hill/retaining wall

I currently have a '62 IH B414 Diesel for plowing/wood hauling/trying to dig duties.

I'd like something better for plowing and digging which is why I want a backhoe. Lots of rocks/roots/stumps to remove. Plus for plowing/snow removal the IH is a land yatch. She's LONG with the bucket on the front with the 10' plow mounted in it and the big counter weight out back. Getting stuck is always a concern due to the 2wd.

I have a line on a 2008 Kubota B2620 with the Kubota backhoe and thumb and canopy. 195 hours or so, original owner, well cared for. $18k

I also got a quote on a Mahindra 3016 HST with backhoe for $25,600 @ 3.99%/84 months.

Financing wise(yes, I'm an oversharer):

If I get the Kubota, it'll end up on the home equity line of credit which is currently at 2.85% fixed until Feb of 2016 which then goes to prime plus 1%, min of 5.99%. Be able to pay off about a grand a month off that fairly easily. If I go with the Mahindra, I could use a bunch of the HELOC to pay down the balance at the lower rate and finance the rest. Or, given the 3.99% rate, just finance the whole thing. The monthly payments are not a problem at $365 a month including insurance for the whole amount. We don't have any other payments besides our home mortgage, dual income, no kids (DINKS!). But for 84 months? Jeeze that's a long time.....

Machine wise:

Neither has a snow plow or snowblower at this point. Winter is coming (Ned Stark) and I'll need something to use for the big storms. I've run with just the bucket before on the trust old Big Red, but it's less than idea. I have a VERY heavy 10' truck plow mounted to a snow bucket on it right now which works alright. I could continue using that for the time being even if I get a new tractor. Though two tractors sitting around? I'd start looking like some of you guys here..... I'd eventually like to get a rear mount snowblower so I could use that and the FEL during the winter to clear the parking area and the driveway. Speed really isn't a concern.

Now the Kubota can fit in more places since it significantly smaller. The backhoe is similar in power to the Mahindra just less digging depth (80 inches vs 94), though the FEL is much lighter duty(952lbs at the pins vs 1650). Also, the backhoe has a 150 degree swing vs 180 on the Mahindra. Both can get mechanical thumbs. Both have single set of rear remotes.

I'm torn. I really am. Wife is on board with whatever I decide. Smaller machine physically but only 2hp less (Mahindra is actually 28hp) engine power or bigger machine for the bigger ability from the FEL lift and backhoe reach?

Thoughts?

/ Used Kubota 2620 TLB or new Mahindra 3016 similarly equipped #2  
Little background for you:

3 acres of wooded rocky hilly property with zero landscaping.

500 foot dirt/gravel driveway on a hill

Large 7 car parking area surrounded on two sides by hill/retaining wall

I currently have a '62 IH B414 Diesel for plowing/wood hauling/trying to dig duties.

I'd like something better for plowing and digging which is why I want a backhoe. Lots of rocks/roots/stumps to remove. Plus for plowing/snow removal the IH is a land yatch. She's LONG with the bucket on the front with the 10' plow mounted in it and the big counter weight out back. Getting stuck is always a concern due to the 2wd.

I have a line on a 2008 Kubota B2620 with the Kubota backhoe and thumb and canopy. 195 hours or so, original owner, well cared for. $18k

I also got a quote on a Mahindra 3016 HST with backhoe for $25,600 @ 3.99%/84 months.

Financing wise(yes, I'm an oversharer):

If I get the Kubota, it'll end up on the home equity line of credit which is currently at 2.85% fixed until Feb of 2016 which then goes to prime plus 1%, min of 5.99%. Be able to pay off about a grand a month off that fairly easily. If I go with the Mahindra, I could use a bunch of the HELOC to pay down the balance at the lower rate and finance the rest. Or, given the 3.99% rate, just finance the whole thing. The monthly payments are not a problem at $365 a month including insurance for the whole amount. We don't have any other payments besides our home mortgage, dual income, no kids (DINKS!). But for 84 months? Jeeze that's a long time.....

Machine wise:

Neither has a snow plow or snowblower at this point. Winter is coming (Ned Stark) and I'll need something to use for the big storms. I've run with just the bucket before on the trust old Big Red, but it's less than idea. I have a VERY heavy 10' truck plow mounted to a snow bucket on it right now which works alright. I could continue using that for the time being even if I get a new tractor. Though two tractors sitting around? I'd start looking like some of you guys here..... I'd eventually like to get a rear mount snowblower so I could use that and the FEL during the winter to clear the parking area and the driveway. Speed really isn't a concern.

Now the Kubota can fit in more places since it significantly smaller. The backhoe is similar in power to the Mahindra just less digging depth (80 inches vs 94), though the FEL is much lighter duty(952lbs at the pins vs 1650). Also, the backhoe has a 150 degree swing vs 180 on the Mahindra. Both can get mechanical thumbs. Both have single set of rear remotes.

I'm torn. I really am. Wife is on board with whatever I decide. Smaller machine physically but only 2hp less (Mahindra is actually 28hp) engine power or bigger machine for the bigger ability from the FEL lift and backhoe reach?

Thoughts?

I used a front mounted snowblower for years to clear my large driveway and now have the M5040 with a 6' bucket. It takes far less time to clean the same area with the bucket than the blower. In fact I often "plow" with the bucked in float position and in high range and second gear.

/ Used Kubota 2620 TLB or new Mahindra 3016 similarly equipped #3  
I have a brand new 3016, so guess what my answer is. :)

Seriously, the mahindra is a great machine and will do all you want, and will handle the addons you want better.

I could have bought anything else used, but I wanted new, not someone else's problems.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

/ Used Kubota 2620 TLB or new Mahindra 3016 similarly equipped #4  
They are such different tractors, I think this should be an easy choice. Think about the kinds of things you need to do, and the kind of places you need to operate in, then decide which tractor would be better for that. Sometimes the smaller tractor is the better choice, sometimes the bigger tractor is the better choice.

/ Used Kubota 2620 TLB or new Mahindra 3016 similarly equipped #5  
I had a Kubota B2920 TLB and as you pointed out not a full 180 boom swing which was not really a problem. I did find the bucket rotation which was also not a full 180 a little annoying. However, it was a good machine and could dig all day. I wound up using the BH more than I thought and traded it in on the larger B3300 TLB with 16 inch bucket on the BH77. I've been pretty happy with it.

The Kubota's swing seat does keep things more compact. I did not look at the specs on the Mahindra but assume it is noticeably larger. How much longer in overall length is the Mahindra? The Mahindra TLB would probably be shorter than your IH?

84 month financing is long. Do they offer a lower interest if you go down to 72 or 60 month term?

Around 2004 or 2005, I looked a Mahindra's and I thought the quality was clearly lacking at the time. But, since then they seem to have improved quite a bit with many satisfied owners on TBN. With a strong warranty and a good dealer since it is new I would lean towards the Mahindra with the following: I would suggest you look over both again and compare fine point of how hydraulics are plumbed, comfort of seat position and controls, turning radius (if concerned),etc.

One other suggestion because of some of the tasks you outlined would be to look for a used Kubota B21, or preferably a used B26. Look at the specs on these compared to what you are looking. Compact and powerful. Only downside is the FEL is not easily removed and you would be limited to a rear snowblower.
Good luck in your decision.

/ Used Kubota 2620 TLB or new Mahindra 3016 similarly equipped #6  
Talk to the Mahindra dealer. I bought mine in March or April last year and they had a 0%/84 deal at the time. So maybe if you hold off they may have the same deal at the end year or in spring. They usually can tell you if it is coming back.

My Max25 has the FEL, MMM and the BH. I've used the backhoe to dig holes, but it has also been really helpful pulling the railroad ties that the former owner used as fence posts. I hang the BH on in late fall and use it to pull my car up the driveway. I use the FEL to clean the driveway and haven't had a problem yet.

/ Used Kubota 2620 TLB or new Mahindra 3016 similarly equipped
I looked at the Mahindra in person today. Well thought out, looks to be pretty beefy all the way around. Dealer answered all my questions without hesitation and wasn't pushy, other than "this is our last 3016, so....ya know".

I'd be putting a bunch down and doing the 2.99% for the remainder at 60 months since the 0% means more for a purchase price.

If I did the used Kubota, then I'd have to put the whole thing on the HELOC.

Also looked at a brand new Mahinda 4550. HUGE thing. Looked familiar....then I realized it is the same exact tractor as my '62 International! Same knobs on the draft control, same levers, same brakes, same castings, same CAV pump, etc etc etc. Just all new stuff bolted on. Quite impressive that they are still using the same stuff all these years later.

/ Used Kubota 2620 TLB or new Mahindra 3016 similarly equipped #8  
One thing that would sway me towards the Kubota: If you buy it and find that you don't like it or need a larger tractor, it wouldn't be hard to sell it for what you paid for it (or close to it). So, it's sorta like having a free, or almost free, rental.

The Mahindra (or any new tractor) will take a beating on depreciation in the first year.

Also, you can figure out how to do many things with a smaller tractor that would be easier with a larger tractor. But you can't make a larger tractor smaller.

/ Used Kubota 2620 TLB or new Mahindra 3016 similarly equipped
Good point.

I'm going to have to take a ride down and see the 2620 in person. Sizing of the 3016 to me is ideal, but I only have my huge Big Red to compare it to.