Tractor Sizing Tractor pto for 7 foot cutter

/ Tractor pto for 7 foot cutter #1  

talbotfcat

Tractor
2004 kubota & 1984 white & 2007 JD 4520
I would like suggestion on tractors & rodary cutter. I will be purchasing a new Kabota tractor next month. My only issue is I think the dealer is trying to sell me more tractor than I need. I want to use a 7 or 8 ' rodary cutter and maintain a road and do a little dirt work. I want it to have a cab also. Can I get some opinions as to what size a need.

/ Tractor pto for 7 foot cutter #2  
The general rule is 5 PTO horsepower per foot of cut. So that would be 35 PTO horsepower. But, a 7 foot rotary cutter is big due to the size of the blades and blade holder, so you'll need a pretty good size tractor to manhandle a 7 foot cutter. I'm not current on the new Kubotas, but I'd think a 5240 (or whatever is the new replacement for the 5240) would be the minimum I'd want for a 7 footer.

You might look into a finish mower also if you're not going to be cutting brush or heavy materials. You can get by with a smaller tractor with a finish mower.

By the way, it's Kubota, not Kabota.

/ Tractor pto for 7 foot cutter #3  
Dealers want to make a sale and they would rather sell you the tractor you really should have rather then out price you or have you go somewhere else . You never mentioned the size they say you should have . I have a M5700 using a med. duty 6 ft. rc with a fel to off set the cutters weight . The 5700 is just a little over 50 pto hp. and could handle a 7 ft. with no problem i'm sure . I usually cut in low range 4 th gear , but if I get into some really heavy hay I will drop down into 3 rd. gear . It's all a give and take, you might get by with less hp, but you may lose on the other end as to the time it takes to get the job done .

/ Tractor pto for 7 foot cutter #4  
You can get away with less power using a two-spindle 8' cutter compared to a 7' single spindle cutter. I wouldn't want less than 40hp at the PTO for a 7' cutter.

/ Tractor pto for 7 foot cutter #5  
i'd go 8 before i'd go 7 if a rough cutter.

8' will usually be basically twin spindle / 2-4' mowers side by side. thus not real long.

7' mowers are usually 1 spindle and big, long and heavy..

/ Tractor pto for 7 foot cutter #6  
I have a L4240 HSTC(37 pto hp) and just purchased a new LandPride six ft.medium duty.I was looking at 7ft.cutters until my dealer and the price changed my mind.In truth the six ft.in heavy going is all my tractor wants.

/ Tractor pto for 7 foot cutter #7  
if you want a cab and 8ft shredder then id go with the 7060.because an 8ft cutter is a heavy son of a gun.plus if you put it in super heavy thick stuff itll lugg the 5740 down.

/ Tractor pto for 7 foot cutter
Are you sure it is a 7060? They recommend a 6070, but that is what was on the lot. There is a 6060 also a 6060. The 6060 is 63 hp and 56 hp @ the pto. I think I can go a little smaller, what do you think?

/ Tractor pto for 7 foot cutter
They said I should get a M6070. They had that one on the lot. There is a smaller one in that series, M6060 which is a 63 hp with 56 @ the pto. I think that is still too big what do you think

/ Tractor pto for 7 foot cutter #10  
They said I should get a M6070. They had that one on the lot. There is a smaller one in that series, M6060 which is a 63 hp with 56 @ the pto. I think that is still too big what do you think

I run a 7 foot BH27 on my M8540 next frame size up. Im sure the M6060 would run it fine in tall light brush. Youll need front weights if you plan on running with no loader. With the M7060 you also get limited slip front differential.

If I start hitting lots of thick stuff with sapplings it can tax the 75 pto hp I have available. Normaly it runs it just fine without even flinching.

The M7060 and M6060 share the same frame only differences in size should he tires. I don't think id want to drop down to an L60 series or its cheaper sister in disguise the MX series and run a 1300- 1400 lb cutter on it thats almost 11 feet long

Bush hog recomends a minimum of 55 pto hp to run the 7 footer

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140815_225037.png
    ForumRunner_20140815_225037.png
    745.2 KB · Views: 162