Buying Advice 1.5 acre DIYer

/ 1.5 acre DIYer #1  

gilb3rt04

Tractor
John Deere 212
We are about to close on our new home that is a blank slate as far as landscaping goes. It has a drainage ditch/creek which has a pretty decent supply of water. It eventually turns into a river a few miles down the way. I'm also considering buying the 1.5 acre plot next door which also has the same creek. I'm considering either a zero turn or a sub compact. I'm leaning toward the subcompact as I'd like to do the majority of my own land maintenance. This will include creek bed maintenance, numerous trees being planted, mowing, light grading initially, fence building, yearly landscaping. I currently have a John Deere 212 with a straight blade but that will only do so much. I almost feel like I should sell it, buy an inexpensive zero turn to perform quicker weekly mowing duties and buy a subcompact as well. How does everyone feel their subcompact does in comparison to a zero turn when it comes to mowing? Am I over estimating my needs for a subcompact? Maybe I'd be better off renting one for weekend projects and just keeping my old JD and a new zero turn?? Kinda lost...

/ 1.5 acre DIYer #2  
A Zero Turn is definitely superior to a sub-compact tractor for mowing; however mowing is about all a Zero Turn will do.

Will you have enough covered, preferably humidity controlled storage, for both a dedicated mower and a sub-compact tractor?

Tractor implements, except cutting implements, can be stored outside, under cotton tarpaulins.

Do you have to deal with snow on your driveway and road?

When considering sub-compact tractor be sure to select one with a full Category 1 Three Point Hitch, not a Limited Category 1.

How does everyone feel their subcompact does in comparison to a zero turn when it comes to mowing?

Here is a Tractor vs Zero Turn LINK to the T-B-N archive:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Zero+Vs+tractor+site:tractorbynet.com

Last edited:
   / 1.5 acre DIYer
I have a two and a half car garage that is very deep but have always parked one car outside so if I had to do that to accommodate both, I would. I'm not overly concerned with snow issues but we do get it. I lived in outlying areas similar to this growing up and we never really had any issues having to move snow outside of what our JD lawn mower and the township could do.

/ 1.5 acre DIYer #4  
I was in the same situation, had a zero turn and sold it because it could only do one job. Purchased a Kioti CS2410 with mower and loader for just shy of $13,000 and couldnt be happier.

Does it cut as well as the zero turn? Yes. Is it as fast as a zero turn? Not even close. In a straight line its just as fast, but obviously turning around is where you will loose ground.

Inexpensive zero turns will just leave you dissapointed.

/ 1.5 acre DIYer #5  
If you are moving to a new place be concerned with snow. We moved 35 miles in the same state to flat farm country. Where we used to live two inches of snow was just two inches of snow. Here two inches of snow and 20 MPH + wind gusts means two feet of snow around the house and outbuildings. We learned this the hard way.

/ 1.5 acre DIYer #6  
Had the same feelings as ShowroomShine with regard to the one trick pony zero turn. There are too many times it's handy to have a loader and various 3-point implements. We have two small tractors. Not that we need both, but the old Ford is nice to have around with a second implement when doing projects. I've had a quick hitch for over a year and never got around to installing it. It couldn't be as fast as hopping from one tractor to the other.

We had a little over 2 acres here when we built, and recently added the property next to us to make it 3-1/2 acres total. There's a small creek, trees, sheds, bridge, etc. to mow around. We built in '89 and until the L3200 followed me home the mowing was done with 5' decks (belly mower for the first 2 years and then RFM's). With the L3200 I also bought a 6' rear discharge Landpride RFM. Great combo. I can do the 3-1/2 acres in 1-1/4 hours and it looks fine to me.

/ 1.5 acre DIYer #7  
Agree with the general consensus. The ZTR's are great....for mowing. The SCUT is great for mowing...and loader work....and 3 pt work....and everything else. The biggest issue as I see it is if you can keep the mower deck on while doing the other tasks you desire.....(if you want the MMM) because it turns into a pain removing/installing implements. I have a ZTT (zero turn tractor) and a SCUT, for different purposes. The SCUT I use for plowing snow in the winter, landscaping all year long, dragging a rake, bagging leaves, etc. I live a bit NE of you near Canton, but we get similar amounts of snow....something to consider.

/ 1.5 acre DIYer #8  
The biggest issue as I see it is if you can keep the mower deck on while doing the other tasks you desire.....(if you want the MMM) because it turns into a pain removing/installing implements.

I have read in several T-B-N posts that new John Deere mid mount mowers (MMMs) for sub-compact tractors are drive-on, drive-off. This is one convenient feature in which John Deere brand apparently leads Kubota and other brands.

If I need correction by the readership, please do. I do not have personal experience with either Deere or Kubota MMMs.

Last edited:
   / 1.5 acre DIYer #10  
Good point on the drive-over decks... JD does have one, Yanmar also makes a model with a drive over deck, not sure about others, but I would think??

I think it's still some effort to hook it up, the PTO shaft is usually a bear to get connected, the big savings is not having to manually drag the deck under the tractor. Depending on what type of other implements the poster might want to use, and the type of terrain, he may be able to keep the mmm on....