Looking at a couple of tractors

/ Looking at a couple of tractors #1  

RollingsFarms

Veteran Member
Tractor
Few John Deere's and one Ford 3600 diesel.
I've found a few tractors I'm interested in and wanted to get ya'lls take on it.

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=8734697

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=8703446

3000 Ford diesel

I'm most interested in the first tractor and have spoken with the dealer and know about the history of that one. Haven't inquired about the other 2 tractors yet and I'm still looking around at some other used one's. Prices seem a little high but I just saw a 3600 that wasn't as clean as the first one, but had less hours, go for $6500 and it had a leak in the engine somewhere from the looks of the pics. The dealer has all the manuals for the first tractor I mentioned and says it even has the original decals on the tractor (guy who owned it was apparently very picky about his equipment from what I was told).

I'm also not ruling out buying a new John Deere 5045D because my dealer has a couple rental returns on his lot he says he needs to move and sounds like he wants to deal. Just not sure I want to go over my $10,000 spending limit, even if it is a new tractor with warranty. I will say that I've been getting various shipping quotes and shipping has gotten high here in the past few months it seems. If I end up getting that 3600 from KY it's going to cost me close to $1,000(if not more) to get it here. Oh and the dealer said he'd take $6500 cash for it too.

/ Looking at a couple of tractors #2  
They all look very nice to me. IMHO I would hold cash back on any used item....you just never know what might happen. The last one seems to come with a few different things, not sure if that is of value to you, but even if not it is something you could sell to get back some funds.

The new machine is just that a new machine. A rental return, while not a rental car I am not sure just how well it would have been taken care of....or just how "mean" the renters are to them. Rental equipment usually does not have the most easy life is what I am trying to say. But if it comes with a warranty that has some weight as well.

Tough choice, for me I chose new....at my stage of life I don't want to do much more to machines then squirt grease in them anymore....I think it would depend more upon just how much you want to work on them.....the fords are older machines, and even if in tip top shape they are older and will require more to keep running.

/ Looking at a couple of tractors #3  
They all look like decent machines, but I'd be most interested in the first one. If it has the original paint, and decals, you know it wasn't beat up. The second one looks like they did a nice job on it, but what did it look like before, and would that indicate how well it was kept previously?

/ Looking at a couple of tractors
I have some leads on 3 John Deere 2040's that are supposedly clean and priced close to the fords. Been calling about those today but haven't found anything about them yet. I admit I like the first ford the best myself.

/ Looking at a couple of tractors #5  
I chose used over new when I bought mine and saved 8,000. Other than maintenance, it hasn't needed any work I couldn't do. 3 years this Feb coming.
Some used are worn out/abused, lemons. and some are great deals. Check the hours on it, go take a look at it.
Good luck.

2 of the 2040's are $9750 and both are pretty darn clean and one owner tractors, one has a loader and one doesn't. The other one I mentioned is around $6900 but has a few minor issues, said something needed replacing in the front end before long too. Probably pass on that one.

One thing I'm noticing is used tractors seem to be a lot higher up north then down south. I've seen cleaner tractors down here with a cheaper price then the same wore out tractor that's up north and they want the moon for it.

/ Looking at a couple of tractors #7  
To me the first one is the one the other two have manual steering. If you ever wanted a loader you would want power steering, and it is just easier to use with power steering!

/ Looking at a couple of tractors #8  
I've found a few tractors I'm interested in and wanted to get ya'lls take on it.
OK, here's my opinion, and it's worth every penny that you're paying for it. :D

I'm not a great fan of the "Indian" Deeres. Frankly, I don't think you will like it compared to your 5325.

The Ford x600 series were, in my opinion, some of the best tractors ever made. My 2600 is over 30 years old with 2000 hours on it. I've changed one rear wheel seal, the PTO seal, both front tires, the fan belt once, and one battery cable. Other than routine maintenance, (fluids, filters, batteries) that's it. I'll probably have to change the clutches in the next few years.
Like you, I'd be interested in that 3600.

I might be tempted by one of the 2040's if they were in as good condition as the Ford.

I'm really liking that first 3600 myself. I like the 2040's too but it would be over my budget by the time I bought one and had it shipped here. I'm making myself stick to that $10,000 limit. I think I can get that 3600 here and be well under my budget but we will see. Still want to ask some more questions on it since I can't go look at it in person. Stinks being too busy to take a road trip!

I wasn't sure how I'd like a 5045d either. I liked my 5203 but apparently the 5045d is even more basic then my 5203 was!

/ Looking at a couple of tractors #10  
would this ford be a replacement for the 5235?