Buying Advice Chance to buy JD 3203 trade up from 4100

/ Chance to buy JD 3203 trade up from 4100 #1  

Jon E

Tractor
2014 TYM T353HST
I got a brief look at a John Deere 3203 tractor today and I was wondering what the pros and cons of those machines are? The machine in question is a 2006 vintage, about 530 hours, 300-series loader and 72" bucket, no other bells and whistles. The owner wants $12,000 for it as-is. Starts and runs just fine. I currently have a 1999 or 2000 vintage (not sure, never really cared) JD 4100 with a 410 loader and bunch of accessories, and I already have someone who wants to buy it. I have always thought the 4100 was a little too small for what I need. My tractor does no mowing or field tasks - it is used for grading, snowplowing, moving dirt, rocks and firewood, and is used on some pretty steep slopes and in the woods.

Is the 3203 a decent tractor for that price? I've looked at the specs and it seems to be the "slightly bigger" that I am looking for, but the loader capacity seems very light for it's size. Only around 800lb?. The operating motions are the same as well, so that's a plus. The only thing I hate is the JD proprietary loader attachment system, I really would like a universal skid steer mount. I have been looking at the MF 1600-series and 1700-series and some of the Mahindra line, but the nearest dealers are 20+ miles away and the JD dealer, who I've bought a lot of things from, is four miles away. I know I can get service for a used machine as he was the original seller, but service is spotty at best and expensive. I also am leery of paying $25k+ for a new machine. I have an offer to buy my little 4100 for $7500 with all the attachments, so I would really only be out $4500 for the upgrade.

Also - I may be better off than I thought if there is a way to convert the 300 loader to a skid-steer attachment? Is there such a thing?

Thanks....

/ Chance to buy JD 3203 trade up from 4100 #2  
The dealer should be able to get the skid steer ateach mentioned for you, but they are pricey. If you go to Amazon there are attachments that go on the Deere quick attach and hook to skid steer attachment. The down side is it lowers the amount you can lift.