John Deere 1050 Value?

/ John Deere 1050 Value? #1  

Kingkong0192

Tractor
JD 1050
Thinking about buying the John Deere 1050 from work.

As far as i can remember the thing has always been somewhat messed up. The thing seeped oil out of the head like crazy, constantly overheated, and just little other things that aren't ideal.

Always ran though. Never didn't start, etc. Still ran like a top even with all the oil it was leaking (We just kept adding it.)

The final straw came when one of the guys was out brushogging and the radiator neck blew off the radiator. After that i proceded to tear the thing apart. Got the head off, sent it off to a machine shop, and they confirmed it was cracked.

Place i work doesn't want to pay for the parts (Head + radiator) or the labor to fix it again. They want to put the money that would go to fixing this towards a brushhog attachtment for our bobcat. I figure if i can get it cheap, put like $1500 into it i can have a pretty reliable tractor. Yes?

1. What do you guys think this thing is worth in its current state?
2. Am i missing anything?
3. Think there's more damage than i think there is?
4. Any places to get another head and radiator for cheap? Most of the ones i found are super pricey.

Picture related.

/ John Deere 1050 Value? #2  
If using the tractor hard for hundreds of hours per year. The 1050 was exceptionally fuel efficient for it's size and era. For dozens of hours per year operation. Fuel use is of no consequence.
b.t.w. what would possess you to something brainless like work under an elevated loader without a couple of props on the loader rams for safety ?

/ John Deere 1050 Value?
If using the tractor hard for hundreds of hours per year. The 1050 was exceptionally fuel efficient for it's size and era. For dozens of hours per year operation. Fuel use is of no consequence.
b.t.w. what would possess you to something brainless like work under an elevated loader without a couple of props on the loader rams for safety ?

Any idea on the value of this machine though? Fixed up and running like a top what could I realistically expect to get for this in the event that I sold it?

They're there. You just can't see them in those pictures. There's a piece of angle iron on both the pistons preventing the boom from coming down. All the weights sitting on those and not held by the hydraulics.

/ John Deere 1050 Value? #4  
Any idea on the value of this machine though? Fixed up and running like a top what could I realistically expect to get for this in the event that I sold it?

I don't suggest buying it to turn around and sell expecting to make a profit...good chance you won't get your money out of it.

/ John Deere 1050 Value? #5  
I saw a JD 1050 on the local Craigslist last year priced at $5,500. It was equipped with a loader and 4WD. The ad stated it was in good condition. I don't recall how many hours were on the machine.

/ John Deere 1050 Value? #6  
What's going to eat up your profits is the parts for the 1050 are not only expensive, some are getting harder and harder to find.