Buying Advice Making my first tractor purchase tomorrow, a few last minute questions.

/ Making my first tractor purchase tomorrow, a few last minute questions. #1  

mb1986

Tractor
Kubota BX2370-1
So after much research, scouring craigslist for used tractors, scrapping the idea of a used tractor and getting quotes from many dealers on new tractors, I'm finally moving forward with my first tractor purchase tomorrow! After a lot of debate I've decided to go with a Kubota BX1870 w/ FEL, no MMM for now as I already have an Ariens lawn tractor that's only a year old. I'll be getting a Landpride 60" rear blade to take advantage of the two implement $1,500 rebate and adding a box blade at a later date. While I think ideally a B series might prove more useful at my hunting land, the BX1870 will do everything I need around the house and some of the work at my land. Plus I can't really justify the price jump to my wife, she's only very recently come around on this idea of buying a tractor :D .

After much debate, I'm down to my local Kubota dealer (who's five miles down the road) or Barlow's in Kentucky. Brady Barlow has been great at getting back to me, despite not being around much anymore, has answered all of my questions and Barlows has my local dealer beat by more than $1,000 (which will be knocked down to about $800 after I pay a family friend $200 to pick it up on his way back, he's a long haul trucker who goes through their neighborhood regularly). However the convenience of purchasing the tractor so close by and from the place it would eventually go for warranty work/service is definitely worth something though. The only problem I'm having is that my local dealer has nickel and dimed me on everything throughout the process, even wants $150 to deliver it the 5 miles over to my house. Now I can and will pick it up to avoid this charge, but I feel like that's besides the point. My thinking is that I will give the local dealer every chance to make the sale tomorrow, but I need to see some give on his part. My plan is to go in asking him to knock a few hundred off the price or include some extras that he's previously told me would be tacked onto the price if I wanted them. Extras I'm planning to ask for: tires loaded, hooks welded on FEL, worklights added, supplies for the 50 hour service (he already laughed at the idea of getting the 50 hour service included). Any others I should ask for in addition to or in place of those I've listed? Tractor's main purpose will be snow removal, grading driveway, working on some food plots and general landscaping on whatever my wife can think of. Thoughts?

I figure if he laughs in my face and won't budge on anything, I walk and call Barlow's on my way home. Either way, I'm buying a new tractor tomorrow!!!

/ Making my first tractor purchase tomorrow, a few last minute questions. #2  
I think you have a good plan. Just see what way the wind blows. If you want to give the local dealer another shot, give him a shot. You know what you can buy the tractor for at Barlows. All the cards are in your favor.. Play them.

/ Making my first tractor purchase tomorrow, a few last minute questions. #3  
Early congrats on your purchase I think before I would pay 150 dollars for a five mile delivery I would drive it home but I'm cheap enjoy.

/ Making my first tractor purchase tomorrow, a few last minute questions. #4  
I agree with K0ua. I do this sort of thing for a living and it always helps to say upfront I prefer to buy local and want to give you every chance to land my business. Let him know exactly the Barlows deal and propose a compromise that you'd be happy with. If budging is still not their thing do what's in your best interest.

/ Making my first tractor purchase tomorrow, a few last minute questions. #5  
I would guess your going to buy from Barlows. Based on your local dealers previous response I can hear him laughing now when you ask for loaded tires, work light, hooks welded on the FEL, and supplies for the 50 hour service. But it doesn't hurt to ask. Maybe ask for the service and parts manuals too and really hear him roar.

/ Making my first tractor purchase tomorrow, a few last minute questions. #6  
If your dealing in cash I would have it with me as we know cash talks and the other stuff walks lets him know your serious and he needs to get it right a little profit is better than no profit:cool2:

/ Making my first tractor purchase tomorrow, a few last minute questions. #7  
I would explain the deal you have with Barlows and tell him to match it or you walk. It's nice to buy from the local place but they are still there to earn your business.

/ Making my first tractor purchase tomorrow, a few last minute questions.
Oh, I fully expect him to laugh George. But I think he believes I've just been posturing about the "great deal" I can get from the out of state guy, he's been fully convinced I'll be buying my tractor from him for no other reason than the close proximity. At this point I feel like I'm kind of playing with a loaded deck, I've got a deal from Barlow's that I'm perfectly happy with, if my dealer can even get in the ballpark, great I'm buying local. If not I guess he didn't really want to sell a tractor. I just looked back at my Barlow's quote, Brady actually confirmed the price of the tires filled and hooks welded would be thrown in for my quoted price (not that they're a big cost, but again it's kind of the principle).

/ Making my first tractor purchase tomorrow, a few last minute questions. #9  
I don't think I would even go by and try to deal is he has been such a hard nose thus far. I might go by and show him my new tractor with invoice price when you get it.
Hardnose dealers, and no response Kubota dealer is one reason I have an LS tractor. 4 calls to Kubota dealer and one in person contact failed to get a bid price so I just kept looking elsewhere and finally found the best deal on an LS.

/ Making my first tractor purchase tomorrow, a few last minute questions. #10  
Heck why waste your time -- just do the deal with Barlows! I doubt your local guy is going to be in a good mood to keep your business if he has to haggle more than he already has.

Both times I bought local, their price was very fair (about 15% discount from MSRP) and I didn't haggle at all.