Buying Advice Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres #1  

Matt95684

Tractor
None
Hello everyone! I'm new to tbn although I've been on here reading a lot of threads. My wife and I are looking pretty strongly at a home on 1.5 acres with a white rock lane of probably 75 feet. I'm wondering what tractor and implements everyone recommends for mowing and snow removal.

After reading some discussions on this site I have come to the conclusion that you want to buy the most tractor you can because you will find more uses for it than you think, I have also read the same thing about front end loaders (fel).

So far here's what I'm considering...
I want something I will be able to use year round so maybe a fel instead of a snowblower because the blower will sit in the garage most of the time.

I would like 4wd for moving snow as well as possible tilling a garden someday, but not sure if it is necessary, the property in question does NOT have a lot of hills.

From what I have read diesel is the way to go for longevity (which is big for me) I don't care so much about resale because my plan is to get something I can keep for years to come.

Lastly I'm trying to figure out kubota or john Deere. My understanding is that it comes down to preference and dealers. I haven't contacted john Deere dealer yet because they are generally more expensive. I have multiple dealers for each brand in my area.

Sorry for the long post just want to give as much info as possible here are the questions I have...

1. What size of tractor do I need/want?
2. Is the fel a better tool than the snow blower?
3. With proper maintenance how many hours can I expect from jd vs kubota and which is the better value?
4. Are used models worth looking at?

Any input would be appreciated

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres #2  
Welcome to TBN. Join the fun:D

Select your snow blower first then find a tractor that will handle it. I'd get a 30 hp (pto) tractor with hydrostatic tranny, 4WD, power steering.

Definitely get an FEL that can handle the blower (I assume you want a front mounted blower) and get the skid steer quick attach option for the FEL so you can switch quickly between the bucket, the blower and a snow blade.

You can expect to get thousands of hours trouble free operation if you stick to the maintenance schedule. You'll probably log less than 100 hours per year with only 1.5 acres to maintain.

Used models: sure. I'd search for 30hp tractors with the features you need and less than 500 hours showing on the meter.

Good luck.

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres #3  
:thumbsup:Welcome to our world if your only going to use on your land then would stay small SCUT is what they refer to them as. FEL is a great option but definitely recommend 4WD don't anything about snow removable so can't even guess a what you would need. Rototiller boxblade just stay small.:thumbsup:

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres #4  
Hello everyone! I'm new to tbn although I've been on here reading a lot of threads. My wife and I are looking pretty strongly at a home on 1.5 acres with a white rock lane of probably 75 feet. I'm wondering what tractor and implements everyone recommends for mowing and snow removal.

After reading some discussions on this site I have come to the conclusion that you want to buy the most tractor you can because you will find more uses for it than you think, I have also read the same thing about front end loaders (fel).

So far here's what I'm considering...
I want something I will be able to use year round so maybe a fel instead of a snowblower because the blower will sit in the garage most of the time.

I would like 4wd for moving snow as well as possible tilling a garden someday, but not sure if it is necessary, the property in question does NOT have a lot of hills.

From what I have read diesel is the way to go for longevity (which is big for me) I don't care so much about resale because my plan is to get something I can keep for years to come.

Lastly I'm trying to figure out kubota or john Deere. My understanding is that it comes down to preference and dealers. I haven't contacted john Deere dealer yet because they are generally more expensive. I have multiple dealers for each brand in my area.

Sorry for the long post just want to give as much info as possible here are the questions I have...

1. What size of tractor do I need/want?
2. Is the fel a better tool than the snow blower?
3. With proper maintenance how many hours can I expect from jd vs kubota and which is the better value?
4. Are used models worth looking at?

Any input would be appreciated

Matt,
Welcome to TBN. :) Even though I live in Missouri, I have lived in Minnesota, also. I have a Kubota BX 2350D with FEL, 54" MMM, and 48" rear tiller, and I would not give it up for ANYTHING except maybe a BX 26. :2cents:

For what you have up there, I would recommend the BX 25 or BX 26 series with FEL, 54" 0r 60" MMM, 54" rear tiller, 54" or 60" rear blower, and a front FRAME mount blade. The front blade could be used for light snow removal in the winter AND to keep the gravel driveway smooth in the summer. I say that because I'm not very good with the FEL for snow removal (I tend to dig into the graves with it).

This is my recommendation, based on the experiences I have had here over the last 6 years of using the Kubota. :2cents:

I went with the Kubota because Deere would not talk price. They would only come off MSRP by about $500, and Kubota got me the same stuff with MSRP about $1,500 less, AND sold me an $18,000 machine for just over $13,000. AND they delivered it to my door (about 50 miles away) at no extra charge. Their customer service has been GREAT. The unit has been trouble free. The only thing is that the cost of maintenance items (filters and fluids) is a bit pricy. I have been trying to cross reference to lower cost filters, but nobody here seems to be able to do that. I do ALL of my own preventive service and out of warrantee repairs. I would say that if you get the Kubota, you will have MANY years of trouble free work out of it. :cool2:

Good luck on your decision. Please let me know how you do with it. Sorry about the long reply. Sometimes I tend to rant a bit. :D

Dave

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres #5  
I'm new to tbn although I've been on here reading a lot of threads. My wife and I are looking pretty strongly at a home on 1.5 acres with a white rock lane of probably 75 feet.

After reading some discussions on this site I have come to the conclusion that you want to buy the most tractor you can because you will find more uses for it than you think.

Within reason, YES. However, 1.5 acres is not a lot of land. I think a sub-compact tractor with a Front End Loader and Category 1 Three Point Hitch will be enough. If other family members will be operating the (cute) tractor this is a particularly good size. Tractor are fundamentally PULLING machines. A Category 1 Three Point Hitch is important.

My first tractor, a long-term loaner from a neighbor with two tractors, was a 16-hp John Deere/Yanmar 750. I thought it pretty big and a bit intimidating at first.

I am persnickety about my iron. Even my L3560 is stored inside under humidy-control. Cutting implements are inside too. Dirt contact implements are outside under cotton tarpaulins.

Two cars live in the driveway.

I want something I will be able to use year round so maybe a FEL instead of a snowblower because the blower will sit in the garage most of the time.

Good analysis. An FEL bucket can handle occasional snow. Rear/Angle blades a little more. Dedicated snow equipment is better, but you have to store it. You can buy dedicated snow removal equipment when/if needed.

LINK:
Ratchet Rake, LLC - Rip and Dig, All Terrain Rake, Snow Edge, Tractor attachment, Bucket attachment, Loader, Skid loader, Kubota, Skid steer, Landscape rake, Brush remover, York Rake, Harley Rake, Rock Rake, Tractor rake attachment, Construction attac

Study both the Snow Edge and Ratchet Rake. The Ratchet Rake will maintain that 75' white rock lane; be useful in establishing the garden.

As far as I know all sub-compact tractors come with 4-WD these days. 4-WD is essential with an FEL so you can load the bucket and transport loads. (Garden Tractors may have 2-WD.)

All sub-compact tractors come with diesel engines these days. (Garden Tractors usually have gas engines.) In terms of "forever" with your first tractor, I doubt it. After learning/researching during 250 hours on a John Deere/Yanmar 750, I bought a new Kubota B3300SU tractor-loader to keep "forever"; two years later it was too small so I sold it to buy Kubota L3560 which MAY be "forever".

Lastly I'm trying to figure out kubota or john Deere. My understanding is that it comes down to preference and dealers. I haven't contacted john Deere dealer yet because they are generally more expensive. I have multiple dealers for each brand in my area. (!!!IOWA!!!)

Generally indifferent between Kubota and Deere brands. If you have not owned/operated a "true" tractor before you will appreciate support from the dealer, so dealer proximity is important. Kubota has a slight advantage as their businness is primarily smaller tractors. At some, NOT ALL, Deere dealers small tractors are very much secondary to 100 plus horsepower full on ag-tractors. One visit and you will know.

If you compare Kubota vs. Deere models, APPLES to APPLES, you will find them priced very, very close.

1. What size of tractor do I need/want? 20-40 horsepower with a Category 1 (unrestricted) Three Point Hitch
2. Is the fel a better tool than the snow blower? No, a snow blower is better but cost and storage may be problems.
Same value. With proper maintenance the tractor will be moving dirt long after you are dust.

4. Are used models worth looking at? Yes. But in Deere and Kubota, which retain high resale values, a high proportion of people feel value is in new.

Final Note: Garden Tractors are fundamentally (sheet metal, gas, 2-WD) lawn mowers that people adapt to do other, lightweight chores. Sub-compact tractors are highly versatile, real tractors in miniature, that many people use for lawn mowing, as one task. Sub-compact tractors can do heavy-weight chores, only slower than larger, heavier tractors.

Last edited:
   / Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres #6  
I agree with Jeff and others who have recommended a sub-compact (SCUT) size tractor with FEL and your choice of rear attachments. A CUT is too big for 1.5 acres, IMO.

I assume you will want to mow with this tractor also. For 1.5 acres, I'd recommend getting the mid-mount mower (MMM) for it.

It's hard to go wrong with a Kubota SCUT, especially if you can get 10% off the list price. Kubota offers 0% financing pretty much all the time, and that makes paying cash for a used tractor a little less attractive for some people. But don't completely ignore other brands. Kioti, LS, Mahindra and others are all out there, and it's hard to find a "bad" tractor these days (excluding Chinese tractors).

The one thing that draws me to the Kubota SCUTs is that the aftermarket for them is robust. Places like BXpanded make all sorts of useful add-on goodies for them. For example, I bought a Kubota BX23 and wanted to replace the backhoe bucket with a ripper tooth. Bro-Tek makes one and it's been great. I don't know if a ready-made ripper tooth is available for any other brand (except maybe JD).

P.S. - I've lived in Texas most of my life, so I have zero knowledge about snow removal. (Thank the Lord for small favors!)

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres #7  
One thing that draws me to the Kubota SCUTs is that the aftermarket for them is robust. Places like BXpanded make all sorts of useful add-on goodies for them. For example, I bought a Kubota BX23 and wanted to replace the backhoe bucket with a ripper tooth. Bro-Tek makes one and it's been great. I don't know if a ready-made ripper tooth is available for any other brand (except maybe JD).

Very true. Why didn't I include that?

BXpanded

Bro-Tek: Tractor Add Ons

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres
Great info thanks everyone! I talked with a kubota dealer today and he told me that he had a used b2620 with fel and 60 inch mmm for $14,950. When I told him that I am at the beginning of my process and going to call others for more info he said they might budge on price. It is a 2009 with 450 hours on it. Wasn't sure if this was too much for my property. He also said they have a 2013 bx2370 with no hours on it and a 60 inch mmm for around $13,000. By the time I get a blower or fel for the bx it will be more than the used '09. Are these good prices or should I keep asking around for different models.
Thanks everyone.

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres
Dave
Don't worry about long winded I like as much details as I can get. I am not mechanical in the least so any of my maintenance would have to be done by dealer or I would have to do some learning.

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres #10  
I'm sure these people will be able to steer you right and check sale magazines to get pricing but if its a good price the old saying snooze you lose not like buying new but better deals are usually found with private sales. as dealers know what there worth.