Another "How Big" Tractor request!!!!

/ Another "How Big" Tractor request!!!! #1  

stonebase

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130
Another \"How Big\" Tractor request!!!!

Here is another request for advice so bear with me. I’ve been reading TBN for some time now and have been doing extensive research for a tractor purchase this spring/summer. I have learned a lot about checking out the dealers to see who you are the most comfortable with as well as seeing as many different brands that I could. To date within 35-40 miles of home I’ve seen Kubota, Deere, New Holland, Kioti, Massey Ferguson, Case-Farmall, Mahindra & Landtrac (Long).

My situation is very similar to “City Boy” aka Maury who has posted below with a few different twists. Following this post I am posting a couple of pictures of the property I am building a new house on. As you can see it is relatively flat (4% slope from back of property to road) with no obstacles (trees, etc) but there are some contours I am concerned about such as a couple of natural drainage “ditches” that run the length of the property (900+’) as well as various other holes due to ground hog nests, etc.. The property measures 5 acres. Originally as you can see from the first picture there was overgrowth on the whole property but I had that brush hogged down real close in the fall. My goal is to keep the entire property mowed as I gradually do the landscaping (trees, etc) over time.

I guess as far as my tractor needs go I am interested in a new tractor (HST) and mower (rear mount) to mow the field, I need to plow the driveway (150 foot) when it snows in the winter, I would like a FEL so I could do my landscaping, etc (possibly fill in those ditches and divert the water to drain along property line) and I would like a machine for which I could rent implements such as a power rake when it comes time to put in a finished lawn immediately in front of the house where the contractor has excavated.

Here is where the big question lies....what size tractor do I need? I started out looking orange and the salesman started showing me a BX15!!! In retrospect, at the time (before TBN) I didnt know any better and actually considered that option for awhile. Since then I have been shown New Holland TC29D, Mahindra 2810, Deere 4210, Case-Farmall DX29, Long 33hst up to a Kioti DX35. Now there is a big difference between the BX15 and the KiotiDX35!! Somewhere there must be a happy medium. I guess as budgets go I am prepared to pay $17-$18k if I have to but if I can get away with $10-$12k, more power to me and I can spend the $$$$ elsewhere on the new house. Another issue is the fact that I am tall (6 feet 6 inches) and I need a tractor that offers adequate room and comfort. Sometimes I feel the different salesmen are steering me toward these larger tractors when possible a smaller tractor may do????

Is there a good suggestion in between, like a NH TC 18, 24?? Or comparable orange or green? Or am I better off with the larger machine? I looked at the Kubota Grand L3130HST and along with the Kioti 35 look massive compared to the sub compacts, although they were comfortable. My wife just about had a stroke when we drove by the Kubota dealer and I pointed out the 3130 (we are moving from a suburban development where everyone has 1/3 acre lots and mows by hand or has small lawn tractors)

Am I totally off base considering such a large tractor? I guess one of my concerns is getting something big enough (adequate rear PTO HP) to cut the fields as you can see from picture 2 it is all thick, wild field grass. Also something with enough ground clearance to get over the ditches and irregularities in the property. I guess another issue is the value for the dollar spent. It seems that there is not a big price differential between some of the “smaller” frame tractors and the larger ones.

Sorry to ramble on so long, I hope that I have provided enough information in order to receive your respected opinions in return.

Thanks again for all your wisdom and experience,

John /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Another "How Big" Tractor request!!!!
Re: Another \"How Big\" Tractor request!!!!

Here is Picture #1 (land before cleared)

Attachments

• 358510-land1.jpg
    358510-land1.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 424

Here is Picture #2 (cleared land)

Attachments

• 358511-land2.jpg
    358511-land2.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 393

And last Pic #3 (land cleared, driveway)

Attachments

• 358512-land3.jpg
    358512-land3.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 359
   / Another "How Big" Tractor request!!!! #5  

John, I don't think you will need much more than a 20-25 hp tractor to maintain that property. I'd only go larger if I had lifting tasks for the FEL and 3PH that were over 1000 lb. Also, if you plan on mowing that whole property often, a larger tractor like the DK35 will allow you to use much wider/larger mowers and get the job done quicker. So I'd recommend your staying in the low 20s for horsepower unless you want that large lifting capability. If you build fences and plant trees, an auger is sure handy. Make sure your tractor is big enough to handle up to a 12" auger. It looks like your soil is pretty easy to dig, so you should have no problems if you stay around 25 hp. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( John, I don't think you will need much more than a 20-25 hp tractor to maintain that property. I'd only go larger if I had lifting tasks for the FEL and 3PH that were over 1000 lb. Also, if you plan on mowing that whole property often, a larger tractor like the DK35 will allow you to use much wider/larger mowers and get the job done quicker. So I'd recommend your staying in the low 20s for horsepower unless you want that large lifting capability. If you build fences and plant trees, an auger is sure handy. Make sure your tractor is big enough to handle up to a 12" auger. It looks like your soil is pretty easy to dig, so you should have no problems if you stay around 25 hp. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif )</font>

Thanks Jim,

I am probably going to cut the field as often as possible, I dont want it to grow up like I first found it!!! Appreciate your comments.

John

/ Another "How Big" Tractor request!!!! #7  

Stonebase,
I have a Kubota B7500 - 21HP (16pto) and have been very pleased with it. It is a BIG step up from a BX1500. The new model is a B7510. I don't do any mowing, but have done extensive loader, backhoe and 3pt. pallet work with it. In a year and a half of ownership (280 hours) I haven't had a single problem. Some of my projects have been borderline abuse, but it just keeps on going without a whimper. If you are looking at Kubota, I would recommend the B7510,7610,7800 range for value. Just my .02 cents.

Greg

/ Another "How Big" Tractor request!!!! #8  

Hey Stonebase, congrats on getting out of the city. I started to buy a Kubota 2910, but tried out the 3010 (pre 3130). It seemed so big. I opted to purchase the 3010 and am darn glad I did. I can pull a 6' box blade and 6' rear finish mower all over my uneven terrain with no problem. I also run a 5' brush hog with it and it eats up the mutiflorra and small tree growth. FEL has been used in more ways than I'd ever imagined. Good luck in your hunt. Try em all out and you'll find one that fits you just right.

/ Another "How Big" Tractor request!!!! #9  

Stonebase,
I own a B-7500 and my property is slightly larger than yours and looks very similar, I would not be too concerned with the growth in picture #1 it appears to be mostly wild grass and a cutter will handle it with no problem, I let my back 3 acres grow and knock it down 4 to 5 times a year. I would agree with the other posters a 20-25 HP will do what you want, however being 6'3" myself the B-7500 is comfortable enough but the 3130 is much more so. You should be able to get a B-7510 or 7610 with a high quality 5 foot RFM and a light to medium brush hog, a rear blade for snow removal and an FEL for around 16,000 to 17,000 dollars.
Good Luck on your new house and future tractor purchase!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hey, Thanks Jim, Moon, Greg & Crown! This narrows down the field somewhat and gives me a direction to focus on.

John

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif