Tier 4 Here I Come

/ Tier 4 Here I Come #1  

coolnature

Silver Member
Tractor
NH T4.95, Kubota RTV X1120D, Ford '52 8N
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on either a new Kubota or JD cab tractor. I have considered MF, NH and LS, but the dealer network in my area for these brands is pretty slim. I have recently gone from 15ac to 90ac and need a larger tractor, in particular, for running a round baler. I really like the JD 5085M and 5100M; many good features and options but very expensive; $64K and $70K respectively with the 260 FEL and 3rd function valve. The lower priced JD "E" series might be OK but I have read mixed reviews concerning their performance and overall quality. I do, however, have to give the edge to JD for the better cab over the Kubota, IMO. I also think the JD 260 FEL is ahead of the Kubota LA1353 in terms of lift capacity. I am leaning toward either the Kubota M8560 or M9960, 12speed hydraulic shuttle, NSL LA1353 FEL w/ 3rd function, 84" bucket, (3) rear remotes, 540/540E PTO, air ride seat, cast rear wheels. Tires will be R1; 12.4-24 front and 18.4-30 rear. Radials may be an option but a 12 ply tire might be the wise choice for durability. I had considered the M7060 up until a couple of weeks ago but decided it was a bit too small for round baling. If the JD "M" tractors were 8-10K cheaper, I would be seeing green. Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Based upon previous posts I have read, TripleR, XRing and ovrszd are pleased with their 40 series models.
My thanks to everyone.

/ Tier 4 Here I Come #2  
There's another thread going on this subforum about some upcoming changes to the JD 5m lineup for the 2015 model year. The OP in that thread speculated that perhaps the dealers would be making deals on the current models to clear out existing inventory.

It might be worth a try if green is what you'd really like to have.

/ Tier 4 Here I Come
There's another thread going on this subforum about some upcoming changes to the JD 5m lineup for the 2015 model year. The OP in that thread speculated that perhaps the dealers would be making deals on the current models to clear out existing inventory.

It might be worth a try if green is what you'd really like to have.

Thanks Pappy, I read that post about the upcoming JD changes. It appears that for 2015, Kubota and JD engines, in the 85-100 HP range, will add DEF to the existing DPF system. I thought about trying to get a new machine before DEF. Should I wait or get one now and avoid DEF? I am leaning toward no DEF and if I could save enough $ on the current model green machine, I just might jump on it.

/ Tier 4 Here I Come #4  
Def means less egr. Better for engine. It is probably the better way to go provided you don't have problems with the def system..more sensors, derf heater, etc. I just went through the Kubota/Deere battle. I agree with you on the cab. Bailing weight prob makes a big difference. I'm getting the 18.4-30s on my e. I think Kubota has better reliability although many say its the same as Deere. I put a mower on the 7060 I was buying and feathered the hitch up. It bounced and ratched like crazy. Tried 3 others on lot and all did it. Just something to check if you go orange. Front steering cylinders suck, always tear boots eventually. Steering cylinders seem small on Kubota but I guess they work fine. Planetary vs bevel. Kubota had 6 gear tranny vice 4 gear. Insurance seems the same. Both have nicks/rust on lot. Deere sells everything as an option, Kubota comes with mirrors right door ertc. E PTO is lever in back of Kubota vs lever in cab.Deere has metal cab roof, kubotas is plastic. Kubota has single plane glass, Deere double. Kubota had better cooling duct layout. No instructor seat in Kubota. Cab bigger in Deere, both cheap plastic but deere seemed a little nicer. Gauges nicer in Kubota.
These are things I noticed comparing a m7060 to 5085e. Maybe some things for you to think about. Good luck!!

/ Tier 4 Here I Come
Def means less egr. Better for engine. It is probably the better way to go provided you don't have problems with the def system..more sensors, derf heater, etc. I just went through the Kubota/Deere battle. I agree with you on the cab. Bailing weight prob makes a big difference. I'm getting the 18.4-30s on my e. I think Kubota has better reliability although many say its the same as Deere. I put a mower on the 7060 I was buying and feathered the hitch up. It bounced and ratched like crazy. Tried 3 others on lot and all did it. Just something to check if you go orange. Front steering cylinders suck, always tear boots eventually. Steering cylinders seem small on Kubota but I guess they work fine. Planetary vs bevel. Kubota had 6 gear tranny vice 4 gear. Insurance seems the same. Both have nicks/rust on lot. Deere sells everything as an option, Kubota comes with mirrors right door ertc. E PTO is lever in back of Kubota vs lever in cab.Deere has metal cab roof, kubotas is plastic. Kubota has single plane glass, Deere double. Kubota had better cooling duct layout. No instructor seat in Kubota. Cab bigger in Deere, both cheap plastic but deere seemed a little nicer. Gauges nicer in Kubota.
These are things I noticed comparing a m7060 to 5085e. Maybe some things for you to think about. Good luck!!
Thanks bushhog. I appreciate your take on the differences between the brands. I looked at a 5085E today. The E series also comes standard with 3PH turnbuckles instead of quick-adjust sway bars and Mr. Deere wants almost $700 for the sway bars as an option. The 'bota comes with sway bars as standard equipment. IMO the JD just looks like it is built heavier but I am sure the 'boat will hold its own. I will be sure to check the feathering of the 3 point lift on both brands. I will keep you posted as things progress. I will be getting pricing from Barlows Kubota next week on the M8560 and M9560. Good luck with your E purchase.

/ Tier 4 Here I Come #6  
7060 had external lift cylinders as well. A member explained to me how weight is your friend. 9960 is 6812 lbs. My 5085e is 8000. I figured the weight has to be somewhere, hopefully where I need it. The 7060 was like 5300 lbs. I think you are fine with either brand, just need to pick the one you like!

/ Tier 4 Here I Come #7  
Don't look for any inventory reduction sales on existing inventory when the 2015s start showing up. Right now this horsepower range is at interim T4, adding the DEF to it will take it to final T4. That DEF system will add cost so the same scenario we have seen with the introduction of these iT4 engines when they came out and added cost did not lower price on inventory T3s, if anything it helped hold sale price up.

/ Tier 4 Here I Come #8  
I think Dennis is right. A JD dealer told me prices going up Nov 1.

/ Tier 4 Here I Come
I have a quote of $55,500 for a 5085E. This includes H260 FEL, triple mid valve, 3 rear remotes, corner exhaust, 16x16 power reverser, standard cab, air ride seat. The 5100E equipped the same is $59,500. These quotes from a local dealer.

/ Tier 4 Here I Come #10  
I got the bigger tires as well. 8 ply. New 240 loader. Right door. Inst seat.
Maybe lose the corner post and get your stab bars.

Last edited: