Best time to buy a used tractor?

/ Best time to buy a used tractor? #1  

geneP

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case-International 385, Kubota L5450 w/LA1150A loader
What season(s) are used tractors typically lower? I'm in the market for a ~50 PTO horse, 5000# 2 WD.

I would prefer not to do like I usually do in stocks, buy high.

/ Best time to buy a used tractor? #2  
Easy- when a great example of what you are looking for comes along at a fair price.

/ Best time to buy a used tractor? #3  
Best time to buy a used tractor?

Before you need it.

I haven't noticed seasonal variations of any significance.

/ Best time to buy a used tractor? #4  
Down here where the good ole boys live when buying used it's usually after summer is over. the best time to sell is in early spring kinda like buying and selling boats.

/ Best time to buy a used tractor? #5  
Easy- when a great example of what you are looking for comes along at a fair price.

This is really the right answer but I think you see a little higher pricing in the spring and a little lower in late summer and into maybe December. Prices seem to pick up after January first.

/ Best time to buy a used tractor? #6  
when you find the tractor you wantat what you think is a fair price.

/ Best time to buy a used tractor? #7  
Yeeeeup.

Good answers. When you need one and you look and find at least two (nice to compare and contrast and have a choice) at the right price point, in the right condition and you just feel deeeeee-lighted to choose one and bring her on home. That's the perfect day to buy a used tractor.

I had such a day last year on Jan 3rd and the temp was −20. Perfect day to buy a used tractor. Perfect.

DSCF2377.JPGDSCF2378.jpgDSCF2379.jpgDSCF0072.jpg

/ Best time to buy a used tractor? #8  
Wait a minute- I looked at those photos, and that sure looks like a NEW tractor, not a used one!

/ Best time to buy a used tractor? #10  
The best time to buy a used tractor is the day before the owner sells it to someone else.
Shop around and buy bigger than you think you need. Just my opinion. Check the classifieds here for other members that may be selling a tractor. When buying used make sure there isn't a lien or loan on the tractor if it's fairly new. CL, tractorhouse.com and local dealer by you are other sources. Tractorhouse will give you an idea on pricing. Dealers will probably ask more than a private sale but generally will give you some kind of warranty. There's a lot of clean low hour tractors out there.