Need a ~60 horse tractor.......ready set go!

/ Need a ~60 horse tractor.......ready set go! #1  

mattv1

Bronze Member
Tractor
CaseIH Farmall 75C
Hello All --

A few years ago I bought a Kubota L3540 tractor for our small acreage and small horse boarding operation. Fast forward to now, and after a severe drought several years ago, I bought hay equipment (drum mower, rake, NH273 baler) and I've leased close to 50 acres that I cut and bale for our horses.

Family member approached me about buying my L3540 and it's been sold for a fair price, less than retail but more than dealer would give me in trade....so it's time for a new tractor.

Looking for a tractor that will handle my somewhat rigorous use better than the 3540 did. My main problems with the L3540:
1) cutting hay was painfully slow and the tractor was unhappy...even with the small 5-foot drum mower. I'd love to be able to use a 9-foot swather.
2) baling hay would require very slow forward movement if going up (steepish) hills. Not a serious problem, but underfeeding a square baler results in odd shapes and bale density.
3) The ground I work on is rather hilly. I for sure don't want to be any narrower or have the center of gravity any higher.

I've been looking at:
New Holland
T4.75
T4020

Kubota
M7060
M6060
L6060

TYM 723
CaseIH Farmall 75C
Mahindra 6110

There is a kubota and new holland dealer quite close, and a mahindra dealer quite close as well. I have an inquiry out to the nearest TYM dealer I could find (roughly 70 miles) to see if they are the closest around. I've avoided Deere because of the prices generally being higher in my area.....

Am I missing anything? What do you think of my choices? I'm only going to get this chance once....i was fully prepared to keep the 3540 for years and just deal with the shortcomings....but now that I have a chance to get a more proper machine, I want to get the most I can for my money.

thanks!
-matt

Last edited:
   / Need a ~60 horse tractor.......ready set go! #2  
With your horse boarding you will want a loader and manure spreader sooner or later if not already, but anything in the 60 hp range can tackle that. Be sure your purchase has sufficient hydraulic capacity to run a loader and a remote, always comes in handy. For years I shied away from Deere for reason similar to yours; once they painted it green they jacked the price a thousand or two more than the competition, gotta pay for all that marketing you know. Anyway 2 years ago I was shopping hard, choices were down to Kubota and New Holland ( I love New Holland ) when I stopped at the JD store. They dealt heavily and made the sale, just like car shopping it didn't hurt that I wandered in very late in the month when quotas were probably a factor.
Good luck. Tractor shopping can be fun.

/ Need a ~60 horse tractor.......ready set go! #3  
Good luck in your new venture. I lean toward orange but if buying new you have plenty of options hoe about a post in the haying forum it probably has more people with better knowledge Good Luck again.:thumbsup:

/ Need a ~60 horse tractor.......ready set go! #4  
Ive heard that the Case 75C is a fantastic tractor. The Kubota is a good option as well as the New Holland

/ Need a ~60 horse tractor.......ready set go! #5  
For haying and cutting, get something with as many gears as possible and a 540/750 PTO. You can turn those aggravatingly slow and "I'm going a little too fast" times in to just right. You can also tweak it further with the selectable PTO.

If you have an LS dealer close by, I would add that to your list of tractors to check out. They are a great value. Good luck in your search!

/ Need a ~60 horse tractor.......ready set go! #6  
Check out the utility sized LS P7010C it might surprise you with the amount of tractor that you can buy and the options that come standard on them, like a 3 speed PTO gearbox, 3 rear remotes, telescoping 3 PH lift arms, tilt steering wheel, wired receptacle for trailer towing, 20F/20R gearing or shuttle shift (sorry no HST in this sized tractor) and don't forget the cab with AC and heat plus radio, push button 4 WD, PTO and differential lock, automatic engagement of 4 WD when you tap the brakes (very handy for those downhill slides that folks find themselves in with CUTs and a full FEL bucket. PTO also has the switch to change it from auto to manual where it will shut off when you raise the lift if you like AND you can feather it in with the clutch if you want so it avoids shock loading to the PTO train. I bought mine for $35,500 with cab and FEL and I still see some folks getting deals for that amount or less.

/ Need a ~60 horse tractor.......ready set go! #7  
Forgot to mention the website where you can check out all the spec, LSTRACTORUSA.COM

/ Need a ~60 horse tractor.......ready set go!
Stumbled on the LS line of tractors last night -- Looks like the nearest dealer is close to 200 miles away and that's pretty much a deal breaker for me. :(

My 3540 had a cab and loader -- whatever I buy this time will have the same. Also required is hydraulics for a grapple on the bucket and a minimum of two remotes for the rear. Top/tilt or something of that nature would be most excellent for grading and road repair!

Last edited:
   / Need a ~60 horse tractor.......ready set go! #9  
The Case 75C and the New Holland T4 are the same tractor, so go with whichever brand that offers a better price and closer dealer support. I sell the 75C here at work, and it is a very nice tractor with some great operating features.

Go for a loader, its not that much more expensive and really increases your ability to work. If you get the loader, get the hi-vis cab.

/ Need a ~60 horse tractor.......ready set go! #10  
Stumbled on the LS line of tractors last night -- Looks like the nearest dealer is close to 200 miles away and that's pretty much a deal breaker for me. :(
Isn't everything in Nebraska 200 miles away.
If they deliver for free, what's the issue. Talk to them about free pickup and delivery for warranty issues and you are good to go. Mine is 70 miles away and it went back once to replace a broken drawbar and seat bracket which I could have done myself but since I had to drive over to get the parts, I just took the tractor in for a checkup as the 2 year bumper to bumper warranty was about to expire.
The 2 year bumper to bumper and 5 year powertrain warranty is the best in the business and to me it is worth the distance travelled to the dealer to get that kind of warranty. Also if you check the LS forum, not too many complaints on their tractors.