Is There a Difference Between New Holland & LS as a Company ?

/ Is There a Difference Between New Holland & LS as a Company ? #1  

bigcut

Silver Member
Tractor
Garden Tractor
As a newbie, hoping the veterans can help me out here. Is there a difference between New Holland and LS as a company ?

In looking at the LS line, appears that only the 4046 and 4047 offer the 3 range hydro trans. Is the 47 planned to replace the 46 ? What's the opinion on these 2 models with the "H" option ? Any comments on the quality of these units and the LS brand, compared to Deere's equivalent units in size and feature ? My understanding is that LS offers more standard features,which Deere charges as options. Have others found this to be true ?
What about longevity of units between Deere and LS, ie repairs, design, quality of materials, etc ?

Appreciate anyone taking the time to educate me.
John

/ Is There a Difference Between New Holland & LS as a Company ? #2  
LS builds tractors for NH and NH brands them with their name and decals. LS is Headquartered in North Carolina, and has two additional assembly and distribution facilities in Louisiana and California. LS also builds tractors for LG Montana, Montana, Farmtrac LandTrac, LongAgri LandTrac, McCormick Tractors and Landini. You can check the LS Tractor history on Wikipedia.
I own an LS XR3037HC and yes it does come with more features as standard equipment. Check the LS thread for other members comments. I'm very happy with mine. Quality is good. My nearest dealer is about 25 miles from me. My 3037 also has 3 ranges L,M, and High.
The R4047 is the Tier 3 model where the XR4046 is the Tier 4. Tier 4 is the newer model and has more stringent emission controls. I haven't heard anything bad yet from any XR owners.
It's actually the other way around. The 4046 is going to replace the 4047 once they are gone.
The 4047 has a Mitsubishi Tier 4 interim engine. 4046 has Shibauru engine.
I and most others prefer the H (hydrostatic) transmission for loader work.
My own opinion about Deere is they are also an excellent tractor but I feel they are overpriced.

/ Is There a Difference Between New Holland & LS as a Company ? #3  
New Holland sells agricultural and construction equipment. In the agricultural business NH sells tractors, loaders and attachments, harvesting equipment, haying equipment, planting equipment, skid steers, and UTVs. NH outsources some product manufacturing to other manufacturers such as the New Boomer Series to LS. LS Tractor sells tractors, loaders, and some attachments under it's own name as well as several other names over the years as George2615 listed. Each is serviced by it's own dealer network although there is some crossover of parts between a rebadged LS tractor and the equivalent LS tractor model.

Each brand has it's own loyal following of owners. While any manufacturer can make a decent tractor they can also make a lemon. Dealer service and parts support is as important as the tractor itself. With some you pay more for the history and the name. As I plan on keeping my tractors a long time so resale value was not a determining factor. I went for the bling bling factor with a chrome ROPS. :laughing:

/ Is There a Difference Between New Holland & LS as a Company ? #4  
LS was spun off from LG... and it is actually headquartered in S Korea, with a "US" headquarters and distribution center as well. They used to build tractors with the LG nameplate (also LG Montana) before they spun off completely.

LS "contract builds" some compact tractors for CNH (Case-NH ... which is now owned/controlled by Fiat). Like already mentioned, LS just rebadges their tractors with CNH decals and paint, then delivers them to CNH, where Case/NH loaders are added. But, the tractors are otherwise identical and parts are interchangeable.

I believe that is where the "contract" ends. LS and CNH have no operating ties, just a build contract. Although, I believe that LS buys some Fiat owned (Iveco) engines for some of LS's larger tractors. LS also builds some of their own Mitsubishi licensed engines, and has recently begun buying and installing Shibaura engines (Shibaura was contracted to build engines & such for CNH for years).

From what I understand, CNH builds their own large farm, industrial & construction equipment. I believe that some NH skidsteers are actually rebadged and made for JD.

/ Is There a Difference Between New Holland & LS as a Company ? #5  
Great information for those of us who have a need to know the whole story about our choice of tractor. Thanks.

/ Is There a Difference Between New Holland & LS as a Company ? #6  
Does LS make the Workmaster 45 and 55 tractors? I'm pretty sure they are made in India, but is it New Holland or LS or someone else making them? Regardless, I read lots of good things about them.

/ Is There a Difference Between New Holland & LS as a Company ? #7  
Does LS make the Workmaster 45 and 55 tractors? I'm pretty sure they are made in India, but is it New Holland or LS or someone else making them? Regardless, I read lots of good things about them.

The info I have found is not specific as to whether LS imports all or which models of New Holland they build. Here is the excerpt from Wikipedia about LS. "LS also imports New Holland Ag tractors to resell as LS-New Holland. (They originally had agreements with Fiat, which purchased New Holland. New Holland is a division of CNH Global)."

/ Is There a Difference Between New Holland & LS as a Company ? #8  
LS builds the 3 "Boomer" tractors for New Holland.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Is There a Difference Between New Holland & LS as a Company ? #9  
I am not sure if the actual models are filtering out yet, but the New Holland models will be separating from their LS counterparts in some ways. They are going to start migrating to ISM engines in the NH versions very shortly. The Mitsu one that they've been running is VERY loud.

/ Is There a Difference Between New Holland & LS as a Company ? #10  
Hello, very useful thread. Looking at a LS XR4046 and New Holland Workmaster 40 and 45. The LS XR4046 is coming in about $3,500 cheaper than the NH Workmaster 45. Looking to also purchase a box blade, forks and a wood chipper at the time of the tractor purchase, then later on purchase a rotary tiller and rotary cutter. The price on the implements is about a wash between the dealers, both have a good reputation and have been great responding to communications. The LS dealer is almost 6 hours away, close to my parents though. The NH dealer is 2 hours away, but close to area where I have some work hopefully lined up.

I am getting close to making the purchase, hopefully within the next 2 weeks, but confused about which to go with. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

And while I am at it, when it comes to wood chippers, any strong feelings on the difference between self feed or hydraulic roller feed on the Wallensteins?

Thank You in advance :thumbsup: