What has happened to tractors? Help us choose another workhorse for our tree farm.

/ What has happened to tractors? Help us choose another workhorse for our tree farm. #1  

cutamerc

Tractor
New Holland 3930
Good morning, and may I say, thank you in advance.
15 years ago we purchased a New Holland 3930 for our 375 acre Christmas tree farm. Since that time it has been used and abused daily, in terrible conditions, without single problem. We have expanded to a degree and recently began our search for a similar model to add to the farm. Unfortunately, things have really changed in the tractor market since that time; all these turbo engines, tier III/IV, hydrostatic transmissions, and everything has been put on a diet! In other words, we are lost.

What can we look at that would be similar to the 3930 in terms of weight and reliability. Our price range is between $20-30k out the door, and while that does not sound like much, the tractor will be a stripper four wheel drive model.

Desired configuration: FWD, ROPS, no FEL, no cab, less plastic, low center of gravity. As basic as can be with the most reliable transmission possible. We don't mind rowing gears at all. Only minimal hydraulics required.

Use: daily hard use on a 375 acre Christmas tree farm in western NC. Basically this means pulling heavy things up terribly steep grades on non-existent mud roads. Frequent starts from a standstill on the side our mountain, descending the mountain with a heavy trailer, driving sideways on the mountain, plowing on mountain, mowing on the mountain, trailers loaded with hundreds of trees up and down the mountain, bailing square bales of hay on the mountain, all while being driven by various workers and not necessarily myself. From late October to the end of November, it may be in use 18 hours at a time.

The 3930 has done this admirably and without complaint. We don't necessarily need more power, 50-75 hp will be fine. We do need low maintenance (these new diesels are alien technology), enough weight to hold the trailers back, and simplicity.

These new NH T4.75 seem so tall and precarious, our 3930 really sits between the wheels, which are bolted at max width at all times. Our local dealer has pointed us toward the Mahindra 5555, which seems to check the boxes as far as weight and low center of gravity. For reference, the 3930 is close to 6000 pounds I believe, we keep weights at both ends. We had never even considered a Mahindra, what is their status on the tractor totem poll? Reliability? Cost of ownership?

What else would everyone suggest we consider?
Thank you all kindly for your time, hope you have a great day.

Last edited:
   / What has happened to tractors? Help us choose another workhorse for our tree farm. #2  
How many hours have you put on your 3930? You didn't mention or I missed it, four wheel drive? You are right as the center of the weight is low on them and you have it optimized for your condition's!
Some of your fears are not much different then people with cars years ago. To think why do we need a 8 cylinder engine when we have been getting along with only 4 and 6 cylinder engines. The turbo can make horsepower very fuel efficiently. For the different tiers, while we need to have something obvious for the government to be in our back pockets for so we might not catch them on the really bad stuff they do!

/ What has happened to tractors? Help us choose another workhorse for our tree farm. #3  
It looks like everyone make the low profile tractor so check out some of the highway mowing crews. They have some pretty low profile tractors pulling 15 foot batwing mowers so they must have 70+ HP. Other than that, I cant give you much advice for the low profile, heavy stuff. Mahindra tractors traditionally are higher weight than any other brand and they advertise it as such.

Be aware that they will fade to a nice titty pink with the sun.

/ What has happened to tractors? Help us choose another workhorse for our tree farm. #4  
Take a look see at the Massey Ferguson 2615. It sets lower like an older tractor. It is a no frills machine and I believe has a non-turbo tier 2 engine.

I'm very familiar with western NC and the small fields and mountains - Haywood County more specifically. Lots of Fords and Massey Ferguson tractors there.

Good luck,
Bill

/ What has happened to tractors? Help us choose another workhorse for our tree farm. #5  
Why not buy another 3930?

/ What has happened to tractors? Help us choose another workhorse for our tree farm. #6  
You might have to do what I did, restore a old 3930. You won't find a direct replacement that tractor. Widely regarded as one of the most reliable tractors ever built!

/ What has happened to tractors? Help us choose another workhorse for our tree farm. #8  
You can modify a tractor fairly easily to decrease the center of gravity and increase stability on hills. My 1964 MF135 diesel tractor was modified to work in the previous owner's olive orchard. The tall rear wheels on 28" diameter rims were replaced by 16" dia rims with BF Goodrich 18.4-16 rubber (18" wide, 40" tall overall). The front axle spindles were shortened to keep the tractor level.

MF135 stump2.JPGMF135 stump1 (1).JPG

My Mahindra dealer (Dave's Tractor in Red Bluff, CA) has modified a few of his CUTs in the 40hp range like this for his customers. Dave posts regularly on TBN. He can give you the details.

Dave's Tractor, Inc - Home

Good luck.

/ What has happened to tractors? Help us choose another workhorse for our tree farm. #9  
The NH TN75 seems to sit similarly to a 3930. I see these used a lot on steep right-of-way mowing with the supersteer option. Looks super stable.

/ What has happened to tractors? Help us choose another workhorse for our tree farm.
Thank you everyone for your input, we appreciate your time and suggestions.
Our 3930 is a four wheel drive model, like the one below, right before the turbos came along.
2911702_1.jpgIt has just under 5000 hours, which really only works out to about an hour per day. Since you can't trust the parking brake to hold on the hills, the crews end up turning it off an on frequently when stopping to load/spray/etc (not a great solution, I realize).

We have heavily considered another 3930, and are still very open to the idea, but they have retained their value well. We assumed we would be able to find something similar and most big names are offering 0% financing for 60-84 months, naturally this would help us with a purchase this big. Restoring is not really an option for us at the moment, though I would enjoy it. We don't have the space or the time before we start cutting next month.

Mr. Bill, you know what we are dealing with then. Our terrain is very similar to Haywood county. The layout of most of our fields is not ideal (vertical lines up the mountain) and the elevation difference from the lowest part of the property to the highest is over 1,500 feet. The dirt though, great stuff for growing!

That is great to know about the Mahindra paint, l wish there was more information about them out there.
Also good ideas regarding smaller diameter wheels. The 3930 honestly couldn't be any lower, but others may have clearance to spare.

I do need realize the tech is changing, my car has 300 horsepower from its 2.5L 4cyl. I will start reading about the other suggestions listed, this has been a much more difficult decision than we anticipated. Again, thank you folks for taking the time.