Buying Advice Need new or newer compact loader/backhoe buying advice-what brand?

/ Need new or newer compact loader/backhoe buying advice-what brand? #1  

stanstone

Tractor
none
Hi All... I live in Iowa during the winter and spend the summers in Ontario... I am trying to find good value in a new loader backhoe that is very small... I need it small because the trees are very close together and I am not willing to start cutting trees to get around my property which is on a lake in Ontario... I know this is a very hard question... I am trying to spend around 20 grand or less...the soil here is very rocky...and of coarse 4 wheel drive would be a plus... I need at least a loader and a backhoe would be a plus also... I am in my 60s so I don't really need a machine that is going to be around for 30 years... just a good value that will run because I am so far away from maintenance...just wondered if someone could advise whats a good value... don't really need the best because the price would shoot up higher than my budget...kind of a small front and rear wheel to wheel to i can get in between the trees...I dont really care about fuel economy or fancy frills.. just a good value that I can buy in Iowa and then trailer up here in Canada... If you have a idea of what to buy I would appreciate your advice... or if you can tell me what not to buy... that would be helpful also... thanks very much in advance for any advice you can give me... Stan Stone

/ Need new or newer compact loader/backhoe buying advice-what brand? #2  
I have a bobcat ct335 (Kioti dk35) with the rhino loader and backhoe. Its a great little machine with a very well laid out operator cockpit. The machine is pretty heavy duty and build to last. I purchased it with under 300hrs with backhoe, loader, forks and a 3pt rake for $18,000. I feel I got a decent deal and would purchase it again without question.

/ Need new or newer compact loader/backhoe buying advice-what brand?
thanks for advice but I know I am being picky but was trying to find a little smaller machine... yours looks very nice... googled it under images and looks sweet !!!

/ Need new or newer compact loader/backhoe buying advice-what brand? #4  
I like the size of my B26 TLB from Kubota. They are quite pricey new but used could get you in the ball park. I paid $20,500 for mine that was 2 years old with only 60 hours on the clock but don't expect to find that kind of bargain everyday. I do see some around for that money with 500+ hours on them though which isn't a lot of hours for a construction grade machine. The wheels are only about 41" wide so it is about as narrow as you can get in a small tractor and still have a bit of capacity. With the backhoe on it is around 53" total width. If you cant drive between a tree with that, you need to remove some of the trees so they have some room to grow.
Check them out on the Kubota website for specifications then watch for a used one that has been well cared for. Much of the hours on mine were put on doing mowing so the hoe was like new, well the whole tractor was like new really.

/ Need new or newer compact loader/backhoe buying advice-what brand?
thanks... that is about the size i am looking for... does it have a different motor? like onan or something? i have heard they put in different engines but maybe i am wrong..53 inches is a good width and that would work nice... thanks

/ Need new or newer compact loader/backhoe buying advice-what brand? #6  
I like the size of my B26 TLB from Kubota. They are quite pricey new but used could get you in the ball park. I paid $20,500 for mine that was 2 years old with only 60 hours on the clock but don't expect to find that kind of bargain everyday. I do see some around for that money with 500+ hours on them though which isn't a lot of hours for a construction grade machine. The wheels are only about 41" wide so it is about as narrow as you can get in a small tractor and still have a bit of capacity. With the backhoe on it is around 53" total width. If you cant drive between a tree with that, you need to remove some of the trees so they have some room to grow.
Check them out on the Kubota website for specifications then watch for a used one that has been well cared for. Much of the hours on mine were put on doing mowing so the hoe was like new, well the whole tractor was like new really.

That was a great deal on your machine!

This probably would be the best machine for what you described. Maybe a used B21 which was the predesessor of the 26 model? You should be able to find a used one within your price range.

The smaller subcompact Massey GC1710 or 20, Kubota BX25, Kioti, Mahindra, Deere would all be options in your price range, but for what you described, the B26 or B21 would be hard to beat.

I had a Massey GC2310 (predessor of the 1710) and it was pretty impressive for it's size...especially the BH. Another option could be a used Kubota B 2620 or similar from other manufacturers, with BH, which would be a little more ground clearance.

Fyi, if interested I saw Barlow's Equipment has a used 2006 B21 for sale with only 177 hours. Also other used models with FEL and BH. I would call them and get a price at least for reference...go to their website under inventory. They are very easy to deal with and would deliver to Iowa.

Good luck in your search.

Last edited:
   / Need new or newer compact loader/backhoe buying advice-what brand? #7  
thanks... that is about the size i am looking for... does it have a different motor? like onan or something? i have heard they put in different engines but maybe i am wrong..53 inches is a good width and that would work nice... thanks

Kubota only uses their own engines, which are very highly regarded, so you don't have to worry about that.

Is width or length the deciding factor for you? I ask because a B26 is 54" wide, and you can choose from a wide range of machines that are that same basic width. I have some heavily treed areas on my property and didn't have any issues working through them to clear downed trees last winter, and I was using a much larger machine. I say that not suggest that you should buy a larger machine, but there's always the possibility you'll run into a good deal on something a touch bigger than a B26....if you're only talking an inch or two here and there, it won't make a practical difference unless you have a hard limitation like a barn/shed/garage door size, etc.

/ Need new or newer compact loader/backhoe buying advice-what brand? #8  
Kubota owns the market around here.

/ Need new or newer compact loader/backhoe buying advice-what brand? #9  
If you want to go really small, you should look at the Kubota BX25. You can also find its predecessors - the BX24 and BX23 - used for way less than your budget.

/ Need new or newer compact loader/backhoe buying advice-what brand? #10  
take a look at the emax series from Mahindra...great little machines.