Recomendations Please??

/ Recomendations Please?? #1  

Sumo

Hi everyone!!
Ok, I have been reading this message board for about a year on and off. It is GREAT!

I know I can count on a few replies and recomendations for a tractor. My wife and I just purchased about 8 acres and it needs some work. about 3 acres is woods running down the back of the property to a creek. This area will need LOTS of work as the forest area is in bad shape. Lots of downed tress and brush. another 3 acres will be pasture for a couple horses, and finally about 1.5-2 acres of mowed lawn.

Ok...that's the set up, what do you recomend I purchase. Looking at 24 hp models. Would like loader and blade to go with mower deck/decks.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

SUMO

/ Recomendations Please?? #2  
Based on what your telling me I would look in a Class ll range. Not from a HP stand point but from stability. I originally had a New Holland TC21D but with my sidehills I just felt it to be too unstable and then moved up to the TC29D. It is on the big side for finish mowing. But for loader work and messing with trees you would not believe the difference in handling from the two.

just my opinion.

murph

/ Recomendations Please?? #3  
Sumo,

Sounds like we have a lot in common with land size and needs. I have 10 acres which includes about 3-4 of trees that could use some help cleaning up, open "pasture" that was overrun with wild rose bushes and an acre+ that I wanted to be finished lawn.

I bought the Kubota B2410 with the FEL and 60" MMM. I've added a rear blade, rototiller, and rough cut rotary mower. It has been a very good tractor for me. No real complaints. Only had a couple of "what ifs".... Since we are still early in getting our land scaped appropriately, it might have been easier to get a RFM instead of a MMM as I don't like leaving the mower on to do loader work or rough cut work (little too much on/off which isn't as easy with a MMM). I've had issue with my front tires' seals but that is due to the tire and how it was done, not the tractor.

I'd certainly recommend the B2410 for your needs.

Kevin

/ Recomendations Please?? #4  
My property sounds very similar to yours. I have about 6 acres, 4-5 being hilly timber, about 1 being pasture, and a yard that might be an acre in size.
I had/have a lot of downed timber that I'm in the process of cleaning up as well as a bunch of other projects.
I originally looked at a 30 hp cut, but I ended up with my 20 hp JD 4110 because of its size. It would have been very difficult for me to manuver between the trees with the larger tractor. I also decided to get rid of my garden tractor and use my cut to mow. The 4110 cannot handle everything the 30 hp model would have, but I can accomplish all the same tasks if I take more FEL loads or cut the timber into slightly smaller pieces.
For me, the 4110 represented the best size versus power trade-off. With that said, even my 4110 with the FEL and ballast on the back gets a little tight in the timber. I definitely encourage you to either test drive a model at home, or take a lot of measurements and take a lot of walks through your property. I was mainly concerned about the width of the tractor, but the length of the machine with FEL and ballast box or box blade on the back becoming a limiting factor when manuvering in the trees.
Heath

/ Recomendations Please?? #6  
I've got a NH TC24D that I love. I looked at the Kubota's but after lots of grief with the dealer ended up with the TC24D and could not be happier. I also have a Kubota B2910 and love that too.

As both are different size, let me give you a little to think about. The TC24D is a great frame size for mowing and working in trees, on paths, etc. It is very tight turning and has a great power to weight ratio. I use mine for mowing, ditch work, blade work, etc.

The B2910 is larger and I would not even consider it for mowing. It is similar in size to Murphs TC29. The larger tractor is very capable and more of a workhorse than the TC24, but both will get either job done and from what I can tell, I could easily exchange one for the other as long as I am willing to live with the trade offs.

The B2910 will do heavier work faster than the TC24D. It has greater capacity and therefore for construction type projects it is going to get them done faster because it has more power, size, capacity.

The TC24D will do light work faster than the B2910. The TC24D is much more manuverable and can turn circles around the larger tractor.

If much of your work will be lighter work, then opt for the smaller tractor, in the long run you will be happier, especially if the tractor is going to be used for much of your mowing chores because mowing will put more hours on your tractor than everything else combined. On the other hand, if you plan on using something else to mow with, and if you are looking for something to rip up, tear down or build up things, then look to a larger machine. Personally, I think the 24hp tractors are a great fit between the sub-compacts and the larger machines. The 24hp tractors have lots of capacity and yet are still pretty darn tight turning, fit in the garage, and fit between the trees.

/ Recomendations Please?? #7  
You might want to check on the availability/cost of a dozer/operator to come in and clean that up for you, leaving minimal work for a 20-24 hp tractor. In my area of NW Ga. I hired a dozer for $200 for 4 hrs. min. (3.5 hrs. seat time), to clear about 3 acres of 8"-12" trees and brush, (40 years overgrowth). He pushed it all into a burn pile and filled over the holes, leaving me with minimal boxblade work and rotary cutting after weeds grew back.

/ Recomendations Please?? #8  
I would echo what some of the others have said about the 24hp size range. To me, that size represented the best compromise between size of the machine and capability. I have been very happy with the size I decided on. No matter what you get, count on some days that you wished it was larger and count on some days you wished it was smaller. I'm sure you'll love whatever machine you decide on. Good luck.

/ Recomendations Please?? #9  
I just recently bought a JD 4115 (24HP) but have not used it much at this point. Prior I had a 4110 that served me well. I think any of the tractors mentioned would work out for you. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Recomendations Please?? #10  
Yep, agree with 24 hp range your talking about but I would reccoment finding a good chain saw. That is what will help with the bad shape forest but I would get at least 3 chains to use. Two to cut up the downed trees and one for cutting stumps to the ground. I have 25 acres 13 which are wooded, 6 pasture and 4 acres of manicured lawn I use my 60 MMM with my JD4115 on both.

Remember, if your using your tractor on youe lawn keep it small (weight and I would reccomed turf or R4s).