Comparison Looking for opinions - new tractor purchase

/ Looking for opinions - new tractor purchase
Well I have a follow-up to my original post. I looked at another Kubota dealers inventory and they had none of the 3200/3800's left nor did they have any of the new 3xxxR series on the lot. I looked at Branson 3520H and man, is that a LOT of tractor. Dealer was closed so I didn't get a price, but I did a through walk-around and sat on it, wiggled and pushed and generally tried to imagine driving the beast. It is a beautiful machine and ergonomics, as well as fit and finish, were pretty darn good. Only worries I have is the extreme "newness" of the dealer and the line in general, and the incredible weight of the machine. It truly has impressive lift capacity but it's over 4k lb - almost twice what some of the other machines weigh. Not sure I need that much "beef". I am also really concerned about buying a machine that may or may not have any support for parts and service in a few years.

Also looked at Massey Ferguson. Did not realize how huge the 1736 machines are. Almost comically oversized rear tires and tiny front tires. Way bigger than I expected - seems like a machine that big would not have only a 36-hp engine in it. I was also very disappointed in the location of the main fuse box/panel on all of the MF machines. Right above the floorboards, under the steering wheel. Guess they don't expect anyone to have rain splash up on that open fuse panel, or have it covered in snow, or kick it right off the tractor from an errant flying boot. No thanks, MF, and I think from the price they were trying to sell me a gold-plated turd. Other than those glaring faults - well, I suppose someone else can be happy with a MF but it won't be me.

I also priced out a new JD 3033R and a 3032E at a bigger JD dealer today - all options being equal, 3033R was $31k and change, 3032E was $23k, but the 3032E is a weak machine compared to all the others I've looked at, and I can get into that loaded 3520 at my local soon-to-be-gone JD dealer for a few bucks more. Still on the fence over that one.

My next trip is the Kioti dealership, where I hope he's got a CK35HST for me to look at. My biggest hangup with the Kioti may be the rocker-style foot pedal for forward and reverse. If I can get used to that, we may have a winner.

/ Looking for opinions - new tractor purchase #22  
If you divide tractor weight by tractor price, calculations reveal that most, not all, of Kubota Grand L price is proportional to weight. The Grand L's have the heaviest frames, axles, Three Point Hitch parts and other chassis components in the Kubota Category I/II lineup.

The Grand Ls are priced higher but the unencumbered operating station, HST Plus transmission and the other de luxe features standard on the Grand Ls increase operator productivity.

(One thing I like better about Kioti NX series, which I checked out thoroughly Tuesday at the Sunbelt Ag Expo in Moultrie, Georgia, is being able to mount/dismount from either side of the open station NX tractors.)

Whoops. A Grand L6060 cab is lighter than a Kioti 6010 cab and 17K more expensive than the Kioti. GPM flow is lower than the Kioti as well.

The orange paint is curiously similar though.

/ Looking for opinions - new tractor purchase #23  
I have read that the CK35 has a weak loader.

I do not believe there are any new tractors sold in the US with weak FELs. Some may have more lift than others, but none are weak. FELs are a key competitive feature in non-ag tractors.

Bear in mind no one audits, or certifies FEL claims. Also, there is no consensus if claimed lift number includes a bucket or does not include a bucket, or which of several buckets offered are used to produce lift number. Take the numbers as a guide.

Further consideration: some FEL designs allow the bucket to tilt back much further than others. (Four-bar loader) In the designs where the bucket tilts way back, you will spill much less when transporting material.

Finally, it is pointless to have a powerful loader on a light tractor, the probability of rolling a light tractor with a heavy FEL load, eventually, is high. If you are in doubt concerning FEL lift, move up in weight in tractor/FEL combination.

Last edited:
   / Looking for opinions - new tractor purchase #24  
One thing to do is to make sure you actually drive the tractors you are considering. A good dealer will let you drive it around, put it threw it paces and hopefully they have a dirt pile to try the loader out in. Another item to ponder is that a heavier tractor, especially a lot heavier, will seem weaker in power than a lighter tractor at same power. This is because it takes more power just to move the tractor around. However a heavier tractor will have more traction as a benefit of the extra weight. Looking closely at the dealership itself should also be a big factor in your decision. If you don't know much about them personally, ask around from people who have bought from them. You want a dealer that is going to be there for good support when you need parts or service. Eventually, all tractors are going to need fixing or parts for maintenance. Not all dealers are equal, some are only interested in sales with no support after the fact, while others are very good at both sales and support after the fact.

/ Looking for opinions - new tractor purchase #25  
Whoops. A Grand L6060 cab is lighter than a Kioti 6010 cab and 17K more expensive than the Kioti. GPM flow is lower than the Kioti as well.

The orange paint is curiously similar though

I couldn't find a date on this:

Kubota initiates lawsuit against Daedong's Kioti Tractors

"The lawsuit alleges that Kioti has engaged in trade dress infringement by using Kubota's distinctive orange color, and in some cases Kubota's distinctive hood design as well, on its competing models of tractors"

/ Looking for opinions - new tractor purchase #26  
Why not complete your T-B-N PROFILE?

If we know where you are we can tell you when one off the massive ag equipment shows, like the Sunbelt Ag Expo, will be in your vicinity.

At the ag expos you can see, sit on and in a few cases demo, ALL brands of equipment and talk with really knowledgeable factory reps. At Moultrie they were harvesting peanuts, cotton and beans in the demo fields.

/ Looking for opinions - new tractor purchase #27  
   / Looking for opinions - new tractor purchase #28  
I do not know anything about Branson tractors.

If you intend to lift 4,000 pounds in any tractor FEL you will need to have at least 3,000 pounds ballast/counterbalance on the Three Point Hitch, and mounting 3,000 pound implements can be a struggle. Total tractor size, with ballast, will be pretty difficult to get around trees in the woods.

You had your tractor requirements pretty well defined in Post #1, now you are wandering. When seriously shopping tractors, like I did last week at the Sunbelt Ag Expo in Moultrie, Georgia, I define my needs then look at that size tractors and only one size larger.

I think the 4k # he was referring to was the weight of a Branson 3520- tractor data lists base weight @3624lbs. . Not the FEL lift capacity , 4k is more than many 60 hp utility machines FELs can lift... At least that is the way it sounded to me.

/ Looking for opinions - new tractor purchase
Well, I went to the nearest Kioti dealer this morning. He had a CK30H, a CK35H and a DK40SE, all hydro. I ruled out the DK40 immediately, that is just too big. I did not ask about the CK35. CK30 and CK35 being virtually identical with the exception of horsepower, I decided that I really didn't need the extra 5 HP as I will not typically be using PTO-powered equipment and definitely not mowing or tilling with the machine. So I drove around the CK30 for a while, played with the loader, got up under the hood, and I was pretty impressed. Did not get to play in the dirt but none of the dealers near me will allow that - don't wanna scratch the paint or something. The only things that really bugged me about the CK30, and I would have to get used to them, is the rocker-style treadle for forward and reverse (dealer said that new Tier IV machines coming out next year will have separate side-by-side pedals) and the clutch pedal hits my boot right above the top of my foot and I think it should be in a better place. It's not too comfortable. The seat was all the way back and I could not stretch out my leg enough.

Anyway, in spite of the pedal controls, the machine was very nice to drive, loader controls were instinctive and easy to operate, and the rest of the levers and handles all seemed to be in the "right place" for me. I also liked the telescoping rear links and the stabilizers that used pins and not turnbuckles. Price out the door was $20,900 delivered to my house, with the optional hydraulic remote for a front grapple, and the loaded rear tires. Came standard with the SSQA 60" bucket, which seemed just right for this machine. Comparing to the Mahindra 3016, which was the lowest priced machine, the Kioti is $400 more with the same options. The Mahindra was a bit more comfortable regarding the location of the foot controls, but the machine felt "cheap". Not sure how else to describe it. Like it was built on a Friday afternoon at 4 pm with parts from the lowest bidder.

So I am leaning toward the Kioti. I've decided the bigger JD 3520 is out of my budget ($26,000 without a SSQA bucket) and the Kubota L3301 at $23,000 didn't have the SSQA bucket either, which is a $500 option. I am having a very hard time deciding if the Kubota is worth the extra $2600. The foot controls were better but I do not like the loader-mounted joystick.