Comparison Looking for opinions - new tractor purchase

/ Looking for opinions - new tractor purchase #1  

Jon E

Tractor
2014 TYM T353HST
Hi,

I am in the market for a new tractor. I just sold my old machine, which was a JD 4100 with several attachments. The JD was always just a little too small for my needs and I have been looking at something in the 28-38 hp range to replace it. Specifications that I have been giving to dealers include hydrostatic transmission, SSQA loader frame with 66" QA bucket, R4 tires w/ loaded rears, front and rear hydraulic remotes, at least 2000 lb lift @ 3-point, 1200 lb on loader. I work on 30 acres of woods, much of it fairly steep. Tractor will be used for dirt and rock work, snow removal on 400 feet of driveway, firewood skidding and transport, log handling for a portable sawmill, grading and clearing. I am considering grapple rake, pallet forks, snow blade (front), box blade and small forestry winch as attachments. No mowing, so mid PTO not necessary. Also no cab - it would die a quick death in the woods.

There are several dealers near me that offer a substantial lineup of new equipment, including (2) each Kubota, Mahindra and John Deere dealers, and New Holland, Massey Ferguson, Branson, and Kioti. So far I have looked at and driven the Mahindra 3016 and a Kubota L3301. I have also looked at, but not driven, Mahindra 3616, NH Boomer 30 and NH Worksaver 35, and JD 3520.

Out of the two I drove, the Mahindra seemed OK but really paled in quality, fit and finish to the Kubota. The Kubota, all things being equal, was $3000 more than the Mahindra, but the M3016 is a Tier 3 machine and the Kubota is a Tier 4. I don't care either way, but the dealer told me that the "new" Mahindras (which they don't have yet) will be Tier 4 and $3000 more expensive. So it's a wash. I have been avoiding another Deere because the local dealer (3 miles away - he's the closest by far) has been sketchy with service over the years, and I just found out today that they are no longer going to be a dealer by the end of the year. However, the 3520 is one of two new machines still on their lot (the other being a 2720) and I know I can get it for a song. It's a bit bigger than I want, and there will be no dealer support locally after the sale, but there is a big dealer about 25 miles away that will service the machine. I love the green tractors but hate two things about a new one - the crazy prices and the proprietary loader attachment system (hooks and pins). If I can find a way to convert the 300CX loader to a quick-tach system and get the machine for under $22k, I would be happy.

I am going to be looking at the MF 1736 in a week or two, and also considering a bit of tire-kicking on the Branson and Kioti tractors, although not seriously since both dealers have some issues (the Branson dealer is brand-new and set up in an old 1-bay garage; the Kioti dealer owner is older than dirt and there's not much of a chance the dealership will live on after he quits). I didn't really seriously consider the New Holland machines. They don't seem very robust or of good quality. I would consider a used machine but have had no luck locally in the range I'm looking for, and the prices on low-hour used equipment seem awfully high. Also tried to find a new L3200 Kubota - they're gone. Both local dealers only have the Tier 4 lines available.

So after writing all this information, I am looking for opinions. I'd like to know if there are any of you out there that have one of these tractors or something in the same general class, and can tell me what you think of it and how you like it. I realize that the best way is to drive it and see for myself, but it's hard to spend five minutes on a tractor at the dealership and get a decent feeling for the long-term use and maintenance of the machine. Most important things to me are lift capacity, slope stability and reliability. Price not really a concern, they are all in the same general range (20-25k-ish) and I look at it as a 20-year-plus investment.

/ Looking for opinions - new tractor purchase #2  
One thing you will get here is opinions here's mine I wish I had dealers that close if buying new the ball is in your court I stay away from tier 4 due to experience in the Fleet world. it's always best to buy a little bigger than be unhappy with a smaller machine. take your time and work for the best bang for your buck. The only opinion that counts is yours

/ Looking for opinions - new tractor purchase #3  
I love my 5,400 pound Kubota 'Grand L' L3560 with LA805 Loader and L2296 Heavy-Duty Round-Back Bucket.

It is small in size, has an exceptionally comfortable operator's station and enough weight to be stable as it is worked hard.

http://www.kubota.com/product/L60/lineup.aspx

/ Looking for opinions - new tractor purchase #4  
I hear the new emission friendly tractor engines are way more reliable than the truck engines. If buying new, Id factor in dealer drive distance. From experience, Kubota and Ford/New Holland, and John Deere are all great tractors, but John Deere is light years ahead in parts. Often arriving overnight, if not in stock.

/ Looking for opinions - new tractor purchase #5  
I think you sized up the various tractors pretty well. I do think Mahindra makes a pretty good machine, but their fit and finish -- even the Mitsubishi made units -- is definitely not as good as Kubota or Deere.

I'd try to get that Deere 3520 for a steal if you think you can. Then go from there.

/ Looking for opinions - new tractor purchase #6  
If I can find a way to convert the 300CX loader to a quick-tach system and get the machine for under $22k, I would be happy.
There are optional parts to replace the shoes on a 300cx with SSQA shoes. It's about a 500 buck option, you can do it easily in the field. Here is the parts breakdown, it is very well built. I have the option on my 400cx

Attachments

• SSQA.pdf
    27.7 KB · Views: 116
   / Looking for opinions - new tractor purchase #7  
I did the same as you but I'd debate you on the fit and finish thing. The only thing I don't like about it is the plastic 'fender extensions", but I think it's a great machine.

IMG0041A%201000x546.jpg

/ Looking for opinions - new tractor purchase #8  
If you go with the John Deere, make sure you have a backup dealer near by for service if your local dealer is no longer going to be a Deere dealer by end of year. Driving gets expensive. John Deere has closed several small single store dealerships here in New England even ones that were dealerships for 85 years. There overnight parts is a great service, but it only works if the parts you need are in the warehouse that supplies that area. If it has to come from another than it takes days. Having a good dealership with good parts support and a great service department makes all the difference in the world. Having to fight for parts and service makes owning the tractor a nightmare.

/ Looking for opinions - new tractor purchase #9  
i think you need to look at 50hp kubotas with hst.with 30acs that size will better fit your needs.

/ Looking for opinions - new tractor purchase #10  
Heres my opinion.

Kubota grand l40 series, Kubota MX5100 or new equivalent.

Also I'd look at the smaller John Deere Ag tractors... Frame size similar to a 5085, etc. I would avoid the smaller "compact" deeres.

I would avoid other brands. You've already noticed the quality difference! That's more than skin deep.