Buying Advice Older JD x495 vs new Kubota BX1870

/ Older JD x495 vs new Kubota BX1870 #1  

bobsyouruncle

Tractor
none
Hi
First post and I need some advice.
I am surrounded by neighbours with way more tractor experience than I. When I ask for advice I get the same answer from both the green and the orange supporters. Basically stay away from the other one. I trust and respect all their knowledge so that's why I am confused.
I am on 2 acres with about 250 feet of driveway and @1.5 acres of flat mowing.
I can pick up a New BX1870 with mower and snowblower for $15000 CAN versus an older (approx 10 years older) X495 with more HP and bigger mower for about $2000 less.
Now if I was buying a car it would be a no-brainer but people are telling me to ignore age. Your thoughts?

/ Older JD x495 vs new Kubota BX1870 #2  
Factor in the age, don't ignore it. Age is "hours" and wear. I have a quarter of your land and do about the same in driveways and my BX23 is just perfect. for the price you quoted you can buy a very good low hours BX--TLB and dig all those hole for plantings as well as blow snow and cut grass.

/ Older JD x495 vs new Kubota BX1870 #3  
Are you saying that someone wants 13000 dollars for a John Deere x495? That's ridiculous. I might start to consider paying half that.

/ Older JD x495 vs new Kubota BX1870
I should probably have mentioned that both prices above included taxes. Arlen, that's what I thought too. Seems I better do my homework better.

/ Older JD x495 vs new Kubota BX1870 #5  
In my mind these two choices are apples and oranges. The X495 is a garden tractor that can be equipped with a Category 0 or Limited Category 1 3-point hitch. The BX is a compact tractor with a real Category 1 hitch.

If the prices are anywhere in the same universe, the BX is the clear choice. If the Deere was much, much cheaper AND all you wanted to do with it was mow and push a little snow, then it could be considered as an option. I think the Deere was about $11,000 new (list price), so the seller probably paid less than $10,000 for it. Asking $13,000+/- for it is a joke.

Oh, and I suspect the BX's price includes a front-end loader (FEL), whereas there is no FEL available for the Deere. In that case, the price of the Deere is even more of a joke.

/ Older JD x495 vs new Kubota BX1870 #6  
I have a Deere riding mower and it's been great, but it's not in the same class as a BX. The comparable Deere would really be a 1023/1025. So take a look at one of them if you want a balanced comparison.