Price Check Kubota price difference USA/Canada !

/ Kubota price difference USA/Canada ! #1  

twisted_pair

Tractor
Kubota BX1500 (2004)
Hi
I've been looking at a BX1500D with various toys for it and there seems to be alot more than just the Canada/US dollar difference in the price.

From your fine site here, I have found the US list price for a BX1500 with 48" mower and loader is 11,883.00.

The Canadian list is for the same is 17,475.00

The Canadian dollar price on the US price is approx. 15,800 meaning we are being charged about 1675.00 more for the priviledge of dealing with Kubota Canada.

1675.00 is a stretch but I can live with it for getting local service and support, But the difference is even bigger from what I see the deals you guys are getting in the USA. I see Bikkingdds just got one with a bigger mower for 10,235 US (about 13,645.00 Cdn). my dealer wants 3,550.00 more for the same thing! Thats 26% more!!

The US border is only 50 mins from me! Sounds like cross border shopping time! Anyone from Canada ever got their equipment across the border?

Edited: Just to clarify from the responses I've got here so far... I'm in Canada, looking at the pricing in the USA I could buy a BX1500 for 3550.00 less in the USA and Bring it back to Canada. Actually we could fly out of Detroit (easier than Toronto), take a weeks vacation at nice carribean resort, and pick up the tractor on the way back home and still be $$$ ahead after paying the broker, taxes and all.

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Kubota price difference USA/Canada ! #2  
Hold on there twist ... one cannot legally just waltz into Canuckburg, purchase a tractor and tow it back to the U.S. The story you give to the U.S. Customs agent will also require, in addition to some wildly creative schmooze, some detailed paperwork, not the least of which will be some Tarrif fees paid information.

Now I don't profess to know ALL of the exact requirements for doing this ... but I DO know that most people who buy ag equipement in Canada to bring into the US do so with the aid of a "Tractor Broker", an individual, requiring fees, that DOES KNOW exactly what will make this endeavor legit. There is definetly extra cost associated with this notion. You might be able to concoct a "whopper" and get by with it, but at the risk of having some valuble posessions impounded by U.S. Customs. I couldn't find the risk acceptable.

Real Hall of Shame stuff.
/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Kubota price difference USA/Canada !
Hi
I frequently purchase equipment in the USA for my company and therefore I have a Customs Broker that I deal with.

There would be no problem bringing it into Canada legally right from the start.

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Kubota price difference USA/Canada ! #4  
Based on the few attachments I've ever considered buying from the States, once you factor in shipping costs, and if you are legal and pay duty and good old GST...you end up in the very close vicinity price wise.

Obviously there will be exceptions, but by and large, I'd say local ends up roughly the same.

Kevin

/ Kubota price difference USA/Canada ! #5  
Twisted Pair....... I ran into the same problem when I went looking for a cab for my BX22. Lauren in Canada manufacturers them and they want more in US dollars than they sell the same item to a Canadian in Canadian dollars in Canada. I had made a post about it, but the general consensus of the people that responded was that is the way it is and that is the way it should be. If they can get away with those type of dealings it was OK with the respondents. Personally, I think that we, the small tractor owners, are getting shafted whenever the same item is being offered in both the US and Canada. You are getting shafted on the tractor and I would be getting shafted on the cab. My solution was easy. I won't deal with unreasonable people and to say the least, the cab manufacturer was/is unreasonable to want more in US dollars than Canadian dollars. One of these days, some of these people are going to wake up and realize that they are loosing a lot of business by promoting their biased methods of selling. I was even accused of bashing "Our friends to the North", just because I pointed out the inequities of the business practices. Personally, I wouldn't support any business that tries to take advantage of you just because of where you live, no more than I would support a business that takes advantage of people because of their color, or religious convictions. Treat everyone fairly and you will go a lot further.

/ Kubota price difference USA/Canada ! #6  
I think any purchase to be imported into the US over $10,000 needs a broker. Just call Customs and they can tell you.

With the drastic change in the US/ Canadian exchange rate, the good deals in Canada are gone (I think you can save a little on some things, but travel will eat it up.) Up until last summer, you could save a lot by buying in Canada.

I bought a motorcycle there last April, saved a couple of thousand (can't buy new - must have at least 100 km on odometer). Bought a Norse winch in August, saved $335 from best deal I could get in US. Would have saved an additional $90, if bought 5 months prior.

Bob

/ Kubota price difference USA/Canada ! #7  
Junkman,

I believe that there is a legitimate reason why MANY companies charge more for international orders. Most of the companies that do this are smaller companies that do not have the infrastructure in place to handle cross-border orders efficiently. There is more work to handling any order and having the necessary manufacturing papers ready for border crossing.

In this case, the poster lives in Canada and is commenting on the cheaper US prices for the same product (available in both Canada and the US)...to those living in the US. However, when you consider exchange rates (Cdn $ is much stronger than it has been in 10 years), border tariffs, taxes (GST, PST etc) and general hassle, it frequently doesn't pan out as a legitimate saving at all.

Kevin

/ Kubota price difference USA/Canada ! #8  
In my case, I told them that I would pick it up in Canada and they informed me that they already had a trucking company that would deliver it to the states and that they sold the cabs in the states on a regular basis.
I called a friend that lives in Quebec and had him get a price on the cab and it was less than I was quoted and that was in Canadian dollars. Yes, the Canadian dollar is getting stronger, but it was still less than the US dollar at that time. I don't know what the current exchange rate is presently, so I can't comment on that aspect of it. If I decide to ever buy it, I will have it bought by a Canadian and then bring it over the border myself.

/ Kubota price difference USA/Canada ! #9  
I am hearing this from all over the world on a photography forum I frequent. Folks from Australia, New Zealand, and most of Europe say much the same. Taxes in other parts of the world appear to account for much of it. For example, a fella in Australia wants a Canon 70-200mm or maybe it was a 100-400mm lens, regardless, in the US it is listed at about $1200 from BH photovideo and about $4000 in Australia, far and above higher even with the exchange rate figured in. Folks are working every angle they can and the US internet sales sites like BH photo and Adorama are doing well as a result. The net result is folks are pretty irritated with their respective countires tax on goods. It may well end up being less productive to tax higher and expect higher tax revenues. Remember, these are what folks out of the US are saying and I am simply passing on what they say or infer. The price you showed on the BX would have me tractorless or looking elsewhere as you are. Rat...

/ Kubota price difference USA/Canada ! #10  
Price a Husquvara 51 or 136 or 45 in the US then in Canada. Could almost buy two in the US for the price in Canada.