What's the ideal tractor combo for my situation (14+ acres)

/ What's the ideal tractor combo for my situation (14+ acres) #1  

vanguard

Bronze Member
Tractor
2014 Kioti DK45SE
I started another thread but I wanted to come at this from another angle.

The Situation:
  • I bought a house with 14+ acres, mostly lawn (of varying height) at the moment
  • The future may hold a barn, horses, a good sized garden (1/2 acre?)
  • I am new to tractors but I'm no stranger to turning a wrench, welding, light fab work, etc.

The Question:
I might not be able to buy it all at once but what would your (within reason) ideal set of tractors, implements, and lawn mowers would be. For extra credit, what order would you buy it in?

I'll start the list but it's really your opinions that matter, I'm a rookie.

1. 72" Commercial Grade ztr mower
  2. 25hp compact utility tractor with front loader for odd jobs, bush hogging, etc.
  3. Old/cheap Massey 135/175 class tractor for the occasional heavy job.

Ok, now you go. :)

/ What's the ideal tractor combo for my situation (14+ acres) #2  
#2 first. It will do everything you need to do now and also for your future plans.

/ What's the ideal tractor combo for my situation (14+ acres) #3  
#2 first. It will do everything you need to do now and also for your future plans.
Ditto. ... With MMM and Ag tires. -- [MMM does not preclude putting a bushog, or anything else, on the back.]

/ What's the ideal tractor combo for my situation (14+ acres) #4  
I generally agree but if possible I'd step up to about 35+ HP. Assuming there's nothing on the land now and you plan on doing most of the land labor yourself the extra horsepower and weight will be your friend.

Good luck.

/ What's the ideal tractor combo for my situation (14+ acres) #5  
Gonna mow the lawn with a 35HP tractor?

/ What's the ideal tractor combo for my situation (14+ acres)
Gonna mow the lawn with a 35HP tractor?

It sounds crazy but I was thinking an 8' finish mower or flail would be a nice tool for the job. That could be pulled by #3 in my original post, the old/cheap massey 175 (or something in that class).

The idea behind asking for the "ideal tools" was so that I could skip the steps of buying something too small, selling, upgrading, etc.

/ What's the ideal tractor combo for my situation (14+ acres) #7  
I like the idea of a zero turn mower and a tractor with FEL implements as needed can't see need for second tractor. I would get one big enough to do all other task beside mowing.

/ What's the ideal tractor combo for my situation (14+ acres) #8  
If your 14 acres is mostly lawn, I'd get the ZTR first and the tractor second. You will need either a diesel or a large gasoline motor for a 72" ZTR, especially if you have hills to mow.

/ What's the ideal tractor combo for my situation (14+ acres) #9  
How about getting a ZTR and a large hydro tractor to do number 2 and 3?

/ What's the ideal tractor combo for my situation (14+ acres)
How about getting a ZTR and a large hydro tractor to do number 2 and 3?

That crossed my mind but a large hydro tractor is actually more expensive than a small one and an older big one. Then again, maybe it's better and I think it's easier to clear with The Boss (my wife).