Ditch Witch Sidekick or something else?

/ Ditch Witch Sidekick or something else? #1  

ChipDouglas95

Tractor
None
I recently purchased a house with about 1 acre of witch 1/2 is already cleared. I have a long list of projects I would like to do in the near future and I'm considering buying and small backhoe. I haven't ever used a small tractor so other then watching youtube videos I know know much about them. Also keep in mind the "toy" factor, I could just hire someone to do all these jobs but I like doing things myself and I'm sure I would enjoy owning and operating a small tractor. I have considered renting and that is still an option but I think I would enjoy being able to take my time and not be rushed. The projects include moving quite a few rocks and rock walls, leveling and building a parking area next to my garage, digging up stumps to partially clear the remaining acreage, and site work for building a shed.

I was originally considering a small kubota and something similar and the $10 - $14K price range.

I searching around craigslist I came across this:

1025SK Ditch Witch 4WD 4 Wheel Steer Backhoe ROPS Cab Loader LowHour

I can't seem to find very much info about them but it seems like it's a little more capable then a compact tractor. I'm a little worried about buy an older piece of equipment that there's not a lot of info on. I generally fix things myself and being able to research parts and repairs online is usually very helpful.

Also of consideration is a full size backhoe. I would love to have a such a thing but I'm not sure my wife would approve of such a big machine on our small property.

I appreciate any feedback!

/ Ditch Witch Sidekick or something else? #2  
:welcome: to TractorByNet! :thumbsup:

01414_9NAWot9Spn0_600x450.jpg

That is a neat machine, but does the front axle pivot?

On my 4 wheel steer machine the front axle is solid and the back axle pivots.
P3200002.JPG 44 hours delivered.jpg P9290024.JPG PA160021.JPG

Another disadvantage of the Ditch Witch is no quick attach on the loader.

For something else you might check this machine.
top-t5c.jpg http://www.terramite.com/

There is a forum here on TBN: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/terramite/

/ Ditch Witch Sidekick or something else?
The ditch witch does have a lot going for it. It's diesel, 4x4, enclosed cab, 4 wheel steering, heated cab - good here in the northeast, heavier (can't seem to find exact specs but it believe it's somewhere around 7K lbs) but also not too big to be able to fix most things.

I'm hoping someone will have some first hand experience with one of these and maybe have an idea what it's worth.

/ Ditch Witch Sidekick or something else? #4  
for 1 acre... you will more likely find a "skid steer" more agile for you. (most folks around me, if i say a bob cat, they think that is a skid steer)

the skid steer being able to do a 360 on a dime turns, and overall length and width and maneuverability.

and then if need be renting some attachments for it (one time doings) or like. you should be able to rent a wide range of implements for it, due to wide use of skid steers used in construction businesses.
buying out right, the skid steer implements are a bit more than a standard 3pt hitch implements. but...everything is out in front of you.

most rental companies, look up in old paper phone book "equipment rental" or "Construction rental" or like, call a few places, even a couple hours away, "prices can range that much" to spend another hour on the road to rent a skid steer or like. generally you get a discount for renting X amount of days, to week at a time. and if you don't have a trailer, the rental companies most likely have a trailer to rent as well. or can deliver / pickup.

there is a good amount of folks here on the forum, that will save up projects, and then rent a mini ex (mini excavator), and then weekend warrior style, dig up some stumps, dig a trench, etc....

====================
14K seems rather expensive. for such a small unit, but it has been some time since i went pricing stuff...

SearchTempest: Search all of Craigslist nationwide & more = search multi cities near you at one time from craigslist
Used Tractors For Sale at TractorHouse.com: John Deere Tractors, used farm tractors and farm equipment, tractors for sale, Case IH, New Holland, Agco, Kubota = dedicated site to selling tractors/equipment. enter your zip code and search that way to find what is near you.

some of the non-name brand tractor companies, double check there website, the may not have an "online parts diagrams / part number" thing on there website.
Messick's | Dealer for New Holland, Case IH, Kubota, Cub Cadet and More | Online Parts, Sales & Service. has grouped a lot of manufacture online part sections into one place. (rather nice and handy)

Tractor Attachments And Skid Steer Attachments For Any Tractor Or Skid Steer = lots of videos and a good amount of text describing how this or that implement is setup and adjusted, and how to use it. familiarize yourself with whats there, to help nock part of the learning / research stuff done, in buying and using equipment.

hundreds of options for ya... if ya buying used, and can wait for some time, then use that time and keep diligent for something to show up on craigslist, or tractorhouse, or local papers, or a local auction. learn the prices, learn what ya want, and hopefully get what you want within a reasable price range.

/ Ditch Witch Sidekick or something else? #5  
if ya going to drop 14K into a unit... find a dozen or so tractors, some right in price range, some little below, and some little above your price, and take a day trip, and go look at them all, and test drive all of them. it is about the only way you will get first hand knowledge, in how much "slop" a backhoe might have, or how much rubber is left on the tread of a tire, to dry rooted tires, to overall power of machines, to how banged and beaten up a machine is. how hard units may start up or not, how good breaks are, how good the clutch is, how responsive hydraulics are, if there are lights do they all work. etc.. etc.... there can be a huge difference from one used unit to the next one down the road.

and i do say a day trip, load up your cellphone with addresses / tractors / telephone numbers, click over to the GPS to plan your route, get up and start early.
for me, it was 1st tractor out of i think 12 to 14 tractors i had planned for that day, *figures* but i honestly didn't know if that was a good tractor, till after going to see the other used TLB (tractor loader backhoes). it was a huge surprise in power differences, tire wear, lights, windows, leaks, etc... on all units...

if you can, take your wife with you. granted she may not know crud of this or that... but use her as bait, and keep the sales person talking. as you test drive machine, and if ya got a good wife, get her to test drive the machines as well. over all price more likely go over better with wife, and less gripe, of this tractor over that tractor. that and you 2 can switch between driving.... between places. no need to take truck and trailer... take the vehicle with best gas millage, and go from there.

/ Ditch Witch Sidekick or something else?
Thanks for all the great advice so far. As far as that last thread, I didn't read the whole thing but my situation is a little different as I have a number of somewhat large tasks to take care of and after the that I don't think I will end up keeping the machine. My driveway isn't really long enough to justify a tractor to clear it and with the small yard I'll end up with I won't need a large mower.

I have been looking at the skid steers based on boggen's advice. I think if I could find one with a backhoe attachment, a skid steer might work. Also, there might be a stronger market to sell it when I'm done.

On a side note, I was keeping an eye on this over the the weekend:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/301362758167?nav=SEARCH

Seems like it went pretty cheap although I know almost nothing about backhoes.