Tires to get??

/ Tires to get?? #1  

otherguy

Tractor
Kioti DK45SE
Ag vs Ind. tires

Tractor will be used for brush hogging, small garden (plowing, tilling), gravel work (only occasionally)
Tractor is 4wd

The dealer said Industrial tires had two disadvantages, ice (not snow) and really muddy areas, other than that they were easier on the ground and the big point was the Industrial were tougher, would stand up to thorns more.

I did do searches on the topic but didn't see any recent ones on the topic, if there is just post the link.
Thanks

/ Tires to get?? #2  
If you are brush hogging stalky or thorny areas, get the R-4s. The R-4s are much better for loader work, and the R-1s are much better for muddy areas. Both tires are useless on ice.

/ Tires to get?? #3  
You have good info from the dealer and Wolfy. The only experience I have with turfs is the old diamond pattern tread on a 2WD tractor. It was helpless in snow and slipped on wet grass on slopes. A good number of posters here have praised the performance of turfs. Could be the newer tread design / using 4WD / etc.

The best thing for ice is chains.

My Ford has R1's and has great traction in snow, mud and wet grass. They don't mark the grass unless the ground is really saturated. No loader on this tractor

My L3200 and the B7500 it replaced both have R4's. The main reason was because these were equipped with loaders. Even though the Kubota is a much heavier tractor than the Ford, it doesn't leave tracks like the Ford does. The lower part of our yard has a creek that overflows several times each year. I can mow that with the Kubota a couple days after it floods. The loader is always off for mowing, and the tractor is in 2WD.

/ Tires to get?? #5  
I would definitely get R4's

/ Tires to get?? #6  
not a fan of R4's, it doesn't take much to load up with mud/snow between the treads, and you end up getting slicks, that go no were.
to much flotation on hills, more so wet grass / weeds, and end up sliding back down vs going up the hill.

R1's have a deeper tread, and thinner width. letting the tread actually sink into mud/snow drift, and move snow that is in front of the tire. vs just building up snow within the tread and not going any were.
the skinner tire sinks into the grass/mud, and the tread of an R1 acts more like a cat sticking out its claws, to climb a tree in idea. and keeps the tractor moving.

if you have a dully truck (4 tires on rear axle) and some hills on property that are a pain in rear to get up with the dully truck (tires keep loosing traction) your most likely going to experience like doings with R4's.

there is a bit of an art to tires, and weight distributions, (adding front or rear weight, filling tires with fluid or not), type of tires and a given situation, how much PSI ya keep in tires and set them to. and how your overall experience is as an operator on a given machine.

if ya worried about R1's digging up and tearing your mowed lawn around house.... then it is most likely to wet to begin with to be out there on the lawn with anything. and leaving more ruts regardless of tire type.

your garden doings i would say go for R1's.

you may think ok i will not get that much mud or like. but in them wet years, when ya gotta do what ya gotta do or things die or go down hill quickly, that is were your R1 tires come in. and keep you moving.

============
R4's and dealing with thorns is a new one for me. if you were talking ply rating, radials vs bias, fluid or not filled with a fluid, or with some sort of foam, inner tube for tires, i might bite.
personally prefer a higher PLY rating, it makes for a harder stiffer tire, hopefully thicker rubber of tire. and a tube for tire. is what i prefer. if ya get the cheap low ply tires... they kinda are like a balloon, a just takes a needle prick to pop them. errr get a leak in them.
not sure why but many folks try to put max PSI in there tractor tires from get go. i can understand that, for front tires and doing a bunch of loader work FEL (front end loader), but majority of the time i run much lower PSI in tires. look through the "operators manual" there should be some sort of chart that denotes weight to PSI for tires.
for me a tube in tire, means a little bit more rubber a thorn has to go through before i do get a leak, and with running lower PSI in tires, it means if bead on tire comes loose around the rim. i do not get an instant flat. but keep on going.
i also run fluid in tires. the tube has saved me some fluid, when i have gotten a nail / thorn in tire. vs a complete loss of fluid. filling tires can get expensive just for the fluid alone.

============
there are threads on the subject, and each thread is always a bit different, with folks on both sides of the fence, or setting on the fence. about best thing i can say is learn as much as you can, and get some feed back from a few folks, and then make a decision, on what you want to do and your land. to many factors.

/ Tires to get?? #7  
For all around work I'd recommend the R4's. When filled with ballest, they can make a 300 -500 lb difference or more over the speced R1's for the same tractor . My tractor has 11.2 x24 ags. The alternative R4's were the 43x16x20's. Those filled would make my tractor 500lbs heavier.

/ Tires to get?? #8  
Everybody has there own Ideas as to what is best I run R-4 because it works well for me but I don't have to deal with snow consider all the pros and cons and what you will be doing with tractor and base your decision on that good luck

/ Tires to get??
My FIL had the same dilemma when he bought his tractor a few years ago. He ended up going with R-1's for what he does, but with me doing loader work and have WAY more thorns that he had to deal with at this point he could see R-4's being the better choice, but he doesn't know much about R-4's never using them so he is just kind of guessing.

Someone mentioned wet grass and slipping, didn't think of that being an issue, but maybe it is.

/ Tires to get?? #10  
The only reasons I would go with Ag tires are if the primary usage was heavy pulling or if you were working in a lot of mud or sand. Otherwise Industrial are the best choice. Personally I have industrials on the front and turfs on the rear. The turfs lose traction a lot but with the FWD it is not an issue.