Tractor Sizing Tractor size advice needed

/ Tractor size advice needed #1  

jb15426

Tractor
None yet
I'm new to tractors so I need some good advice on tractor size. I need a tractor for digging post holes, brush hog for mowing & clearing, lifting or moving round bales, rototiller for garden, and plow snow. Thanks in advance.

JohnB

/ Tractor size advice needed #2  
30hp is a good all around size.

/ Tractor size advice needed #3  
Depends on the size and weight of the round bales. Heavier tractor is probably safer for round bales. HP and weight do not always go together.

/ Tractor size advice needed #4  
Welcome, John. Essentially all of the modern 4x4 compact tractors will happily do your most of your work, but there's a tradeoff involving how much time you want to spend mowing, clearing snow, etc., that you need to figure out. If you only have 2 or 3 acres, even the smaller machines should have you well covered. More acres means more and larger chores, of course, so your equipment budget will need to increase.

Moving your round bales is one chore you mention that complicates your decision. You'll need a tractor large and heavy enough to handle the job safely, and how much tractor you need will depend on whether you're just moving the bales about using a rear 3 point attachment or, alternately, you'll need to use a tractor mounted front-end loader (FEL) to lift the bales to/from stacks, trailers, etc. Round bales come in different sizes, generally from 600 lbs to 1500 lbs. It takes a serious tractor to safely lift and stack a 1500 lb bale with the FEL.

When evaluating tractors, you can't just go by horsepower alone; you have to consider the dimensions and weight of the tractor also to assess its capability.

You'll probably get more specific comments if you can provide more details about your plans.

/ Tractor size advice needed
The home we're buying is on 20 acres with about 10 ac in pasture. I need to fence/cross fence the pastures. If round bales are too much to handle I can always stack square bales for winter I guess. Our driveway may be 200 feet long.

/ Tractor size advice needed #6  
A mid-30 horsepower large frame compact would be a decent benchmark as you begin looking at equipment for that acreage. That size tractor would readily move round bales on the back, for example. If your bank account can handle it, having equipment that is somewhat larger would give you a margin for unexpected situations. OTOH, using small square bales would allow you to go smaller, realizing chores such as mowing and snow removal would take longer.

/ Tractor size advice needed #7  
Get a tractor that is big enough for the work you need it to do changing your plan say to square bales instead of round bales. I would stay with original plan and buy a larger stronger tractor it's a big purchase you don't want to get a lesser unit and be unhappy with it. do it right the first time. good luck

/ Tractor size advice needed #8  
If you restrict your round bale moving to the 3 point hitch, a 3,000 lb tractor should do what you need. Hydro trans., loader and 4 wheel drive are very nice.You won't believe how much you will use your loader. I would not be that concerned with HP. More is better, but around 30hp should be enough.

/ Tractor size advice needed #9  
look at your future plans too. also consider something that could accommodate expanded workloads for the future. it's amazing just how much choice is out there in kubota alone along these lines. some would rather spend extra on the grand L series...from my own pt of view, i'd rather spend it on extra hp/fel capacity but without going too big. the 40-50 hp L series hst, or even the MX would be my personal candidate in this situation. best of luck, smart to post in this forum, members are never lacking in their opinions :stirthepot:

/ Tractor size advice needed #10  
I'm new to tractors so I need some good advice on tractor size. I need a tractor for digging post holes, brush hog for mowing & clearing, lifting or moving round bales, rototiller for garden, and plow snow. Thanks in advance.

JohnB
Does it have to be a tractor?

Here is a machine that costs more than tractors its size, but will do more and is great for plowing or blowing snow.

It has independent suspension, 4 wheel steer, 4 wheel drive, cab with heat, air conditioning and a passenger seat. It is 5' wide, Skid Steer Quick Attach (SSQA), 3 point and PTO.

The 7' brush hog.
PA270001.JPG PA270002.JPG PC190005.JPG P9250008.JPG

My wife setting out a 5x6 round bale and it will carry one on the back also.
P1060002.JPG P1060001.JPG P5240031.JPG P5240035.JPG

The 6' wide, one cubic yard bucket.
P7280001.JPG P7080023.JPG P5210003.JPG P5210001.JPG

It has a receiver mounted drawbar, rated to tow 4,000 pounds.

I have used my neighbors post hole digger on the PTO, but didn't take any pictures.of it.

If you need down pressure, you can use a hydraulic post hole digger on the front.

More info and pictures here: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/toolcat/270965-toolcat-5610-series-f-pictures.html?highlight=