Are tractors with cabs becoming the norm?

/ Are tractors with cabs becoming the norm? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, KubotaL4300, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
Is a tractor without a cab becoming obsolete?

It used to be that most tractors did not have a cab and that a tractor with a cab was somewhat of an exception. Slowly, cabs have gained in numbers and acceptability and now I wonder if a tractor without a cab will become the exception and that almost all tractors will have cabs in the future. Today I drove by a Deere dealer and out of maybe 30 tractors all had cabs but a couple.

What do you think? If you have a cab would you ever go back? Is a cab that great? Is a cab the wave of the future? Hint---I'm thinking of buying a cab tractor.

/ Are tractors with cabs becoming the norm? #2  
If you get a cab with full climate control you will never want to go back providing you are not driving in the bush or in a crowded low building.
Working in shirt sleeves in cold weather and not needing ear protection makes a long job much shorter. Being out of the sun will do wonders for your risk of skin cancer and heat stroke.
Started with an old Nuffield without a cab, then built my own flimsy one, later squeezed a John Deere cab unto it to give some roll over protection as well as protection from the cold.
Now have a Kubota M7040 with deluxe cab and work listening to the radio or a CD. In Canada everyone in farming is getting bigger. More land more HP and bigger equipment all with cabs.
Dave M7040

/ Are tractors with cabs becoming the norm? #3  
Probably.

For non-commercial users, boomers have the biggest chunk of the disposable income and they (we) are getting old and soft. :laughing:

/ Are tractors with cabs becoming the norm? #4  
cab tractors are pretty much normal now.just like buying a 4wd drive tractor is now.weve had a cab tractor since 78.my dad almost bought a new cab tractor in 72.but my dad decided not to.we bought another cab tractor in 2014.when i traded tractors in 2013 the dealer was upset because i didnt buy a cab tractor.

/ Are tractors with cabs becoming the norm? #5  
Out of the 4 dealers I pass by frequently, 3 of them all show full cabs on their street side lineup. These 3 are strictly ag tractors. on the other hand the construction dealer sports ROPS only on their lineup. My guess is that an operator's arm would get tired of opening and closing the door to yell at the laborers:laughing: Seriously though, on a construction site, people are everywhere and communication is extremely important, a cab may limit response time. Also you may be on and off that piece of equipment 20 or more times a shift. If I was going to buy an ag tractor I would definitely have a cab, more money, but I believe well spent, especially as you and your machine age!:thumbsup: 445A

/ Are tractors with cabs becoming the norm? #6  
Probably.

For non-commercial users, boomers have the biggest chunk of the disposable income and they (we) are getting old and soft. :laughing:

You got that right! After 11 years with my L&G Tractor with a winter FEMCO cab, I upgraded to Deere SCUT and put off a cab for a year. I felt like I was gonna die last winter without a cab, even though the SCUT cut snow removal time in half.

Then again, last winter was also the harshest in 30 years (of course - my 1st year 'being old' and without a cab)!

This year I am putting on a removable winter weather enclosure. If I could, I would prefer a climate controlled cab in summer as well, but my place has rolling hills and many tree obstructions - too many to prune them all.

/ Are tractors with cabs becoming the norm? #7  
Part of my enjoyment is being out in the fresh air when using my tractor. I think it would be totally different if I were doing a lot of "dust raising" activities. I don't use any type of rotary cutter and am able to do the disking, plowing etc when the soil is damp. Therefore, my tractors have always been without a cab. I've noticed that all the local dealers are tending towards almost 100% cabbed units. Its what all the boomers seem to want - and they have the $$$, so more power to them.

Also, being retired I can - more or less - choose when I need/want to use the tractor. We can have hot days but we never have high humidity. The extra $$$ saved by not buying a cab buys a lot of protective clothing.

/ Are tractors with cabs becoming the norm? #8  
I'm new so please don't put much weight in my opinion but I've noticed that most of the guys that *really* swear by their cabs are from colder climates. It leads me to believe that the benefit of heat is a bigger deal than the A/C or dust protection.

My problem with a cab is that I don't have a structure to store anything that tall.

/ Are tractors with cabs becoming the norm? #9  
I'm new so please don't put much weight in my opinion but I've noticed that most of the guys that *really* swear by their cabs are from colder climates. It leads me to believe that the benefit of heat is a bigger deal than the A/C or dust protection.

My problem with a cab is that I don't have a structure to store anything that tall.

Dunno. It usually takes me about 2-1/2 hours to clear the snow from the driveway. Could be more or less depending on how much futzing around I do. With the right clothes--bank robber ski mask :D, insulated bibs, boots and coat, etc.--two-three hours is bearable at pretty cold temps and wind. It's the wind and humidity that matters more than the temperature for cold unless extreme temps below zero are involved.

A person can dress for cold, but there is only so much to take off for heat. The field dust would be not fun in drier areas.

/ Are tractors with cabs becoming the norm? #10  
I agree with Dave (post#2). My main use for a cabbed tractor is plowing snow. I want the plowing experience to be more enjoyable instead of a chore. As far as cab tractors becoming the norm, that's not the case around my area. I have Deere, Kioti, LS, Kubota, and Mahindra dealers within 30 miles of me and I see maybe 1 out of 10 tractors with a cab on the lots. Some don't have any cab tractors on their lots. I went to 3 dealers when I was looking for a cabbed tractor and they had none in stock. They all told me they could order one for me but I didn't want to order until I could see and sit in one. The 4th dealer I went to had 2 cabbed tractors out of 14 on the lot.
Having a heated cab is important for me living in a cold climate area. Mine has A/C also buy I'd rather have the windows open for summer use.
Tractor is only 93" tall with cab. I have 8' and 12' high doors on my garage so it stays inside when not in use.

Last edited: