John Deere XUV vs. Polaris Ranger Full Size

/ John Deere XUV vs. Polaris Ranger Full Size #1  

fleminj2pa

Bronze Member
Tractor
2010 John Deere 2520; 2012 Kubota L5740 HSTC; 2012 Kubota M7040 HDC; 2012 John Deere 4720 Cab (SOLD); Cat 247B Multi Terrain Loader
I'm comparing the JD XUV against the Polaris Ranger UTV. Specifically, I'm looking at the Gator XUV 825i and the Ranger XP 900. I have spent a day driving the Gator over 500 acres of reclaimed strip mine and was very impressed with the snap it showed and even more impressed with the smooth ride over rough ground. I haven't driven the Polaris but I plan to drive a 2013 Browning Edition in the next few days so I'll have a chance to compare them afterward.

I've also started to take a second look at the respective diesel models offered by both manufacturers and considering that option since I do plan to work the vehicle in my food plot business. Since I always have diesel fuel with me for the tractors there would be no need to lug gas cans around.

This will be my first UTV and it will be used for hunting as well as surveying food plot sites, fertilizing, spraying and a host of other tasks. I'd sure be interested to hear the thoughts from others who would have more experience with these machines.

Anyone have 2 cents to throw in?

/ John Deere XUV vs. Polaris Ranger Full Size #2  
I have the 855D Gator (diesel version of the 825).
It's been great so far...not complaints at all. It's not as quick as the 825i, so it's probably more of a work UTV then a "fun" UTV (depending on how fast you want to go).
I also tried out a Polaris before I bought the 855D. Nice machines! My neighbor has one and it's pretty fancy (fancier then I'd want, actually).

I do suggest you look at a few model/manufacturer specific online forums for owners' issues and comments. The worse thing I've read about Polaris is the parts pricing.

/ John Deere XUV vs. Polaris Ranger Full Size #3  
Who all will be driving it? I drove a Polaris and it was the fastest by far of the few I test drove. Too fast for my young boys to drive (especially as they get older and can do more unsupervised work) so I couldn't get it. But if its just you and have long distances to cover then you might want to think about speed. I have a Kawasaki Transmule 4010 specifically for the ability to make it a long bed or 2 rows of seating.

Neighbor has a Deere and so far so good (about 8 months I think). He previously had a Kubota RTV (for several years) and he is not sure the Deere will stand up like the Kubota for the long haul. The Kubota was a workhorse rugged, rigid, and slower. He says the Deere is definitely a more comfortable ride.

/ John Deere XUV vs. Polaris Ranger Full Size #4  
If you are looking at new I'd take how your test of the 2013 Ranger with a grain of salt. The 2015 model year Rangers have more power and they moved the engine back under the bed rather than under the seat so it is quieter. Both (JD or Polaris) should be good machines.

/ John Deere XUV vs. Polaris Ranger Full Size
I have the 855D Gator (diesel version of the 825).
It's been great so far...not complaints at all. It's not as quick as the 825i, so it's probably more of a work UTV then a "fun" UTV (depending on how fast you want to go).
I also tried out a Polaris before I bought the 855D. Nice machines! My neighbor has one and it's pretty fancy (fancier then I'd want, actually).

I do suggest you look at a few model/manufacturer specific online forums for owners' issues and comments. The worse thing I've read about Polaris is the parts pricing.

Well, after a week or so of shopping and test riding, I've decided to go diesel. Have it narrowed down to the JD 855D or the Polaris Diesel (not the Brutus). Polaris dealer is awaiting the arrival of a new unit to let me try it out. However, I'm really leaning toward the Gator. Since I plan to do more working than playing and since I always have off road diesel in the transfer tanks for the tractors the diesel just makes more sense. I rarely go faster than 30 mph anyway with how I use the machine. Any additional comparisons between the diesel Gator and Ranger????

/ John Deere XUV vs. Polaris Ranger Full Size #6  
I can't help ya with the diesel models. I like my older ranger 700 crew it's a 2008 model. I use it like a tractor and for duck guiding/ deer hunting in the winter. Don't think you could go wrong with either. My big thing is ground clearance, I would check that. Then load capability. I also need speed, all our hunting is over a mile from the farm shop which is where we leave out from in the mornings. We don't like fooling around when we go hunting. Rangers are fairly quick for there size. Here is a pic of mine. LUTT

Attachments

• image-4051391586.jpg
    image-4051391586.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 567
  • image-1144077686.jpg
    image-1144077686.jpg
    598.9 KB · Views: 1,026
   / John Deere XUV vs. Polaris Ranger Full Size #7  
Be aware that the Ranger now comes with a Kohler diesel and this is the first year for it. If I was buying a diesel UTV it would be a Yanmar powered Gator 855D all day long. I own a Polaris Ranger 570 and it's awesome, but I also wanted a mid size utv. Had I needed a full size it would have been a Gator most likely.

I can't help ya with the diesel models. I like my older ranger 700 crew it's a 2008 model. I use it like a tractor and for duck guiding/ deer hunting in the winter. Don't think you could go wrong with either. My big thing is ground clearance, I would check that. Then load capability. I also need speed, all our hunting is over a mile from the farm shop which is where we leave out from in the mornings. We don't like fooling around when we go hunting. Rangers are fairly quick for there size. Here is a pic of mine. LUTT

The Ranger is a quality machine. I like the crew models a lot. For my purposes though, they just don't make sense. Most of what I'm going to do with this machine is work on food plot installation and I just have a feeling that the Gator is built for work. But, for hunting, crews are the ticket!

Be aware that the Ranger now comes with a Kohler diesel and this is the first year for it. If I was buying a diesel UTV it would be a Yanmar powered Gator 855D all day long. I own a Polaris Ranger 570 and it's awesome, but I also wanted a mid size utv. Had I needed a full size it would have been a Gator most likely.

That is exactly what I thought when they told me that Polaris had switched to the Kohler engine this year. First year models are a crapshoot at best.

/ John Deere XUV vs. Polaris Ranger Full Size #10  
I work mine pretty hard, 6 full grown men, all of out duck hunting gear, plowing thru mud that is rubbing the bottom will work any machine. I also use a 12 foot tandem axle trailer to haul 2 rick of wood out of my woods regular. I wouldn't put the ranger off as not work oriented. Because they are. There tough. But I know Deere has come ahead on theirs also. LUTT