New farm owners: CUT or UT?

/ New farm owners: CUT or UT? #11  
I would say that a 4x4 tractor in the 40-60 HP range is what you want, with a loader that can lift around 2500lbs at the pins and 3500lbs on the 3pt hitch.

Hydro models pretty much top out at 60hp.

I agree, 40-60 hp with HST transmission.

/ New farm owners: CUT or UT? #12  
Pretty much what motownbrowne said, we have several CUTs and UTs from 27 to 85HP, my primary tractors are a L5740HSTC and M8540HDC; both work well for a variety of things.

/ New farm owners: CUT or UT? #13  
A few issues with the sub-85HP 5000E series JD's. Certainly got crossed off my list some time ago because of them. Perhaps the newer ones are better.
What were the issues you heard about on the lower HP 5-series? I assume these are the one manufactured in India?

/ New farm owners: CUT or UT? #14  
My JD 5425 ate its hydraulic pump at just a hair over 500 hours. No help from JD. I do not own JD anymore.

/ New farm owners: CUT or UT? #15  
40hp minimum, only gives 35~ hp at the pto, also go hydro. 50hp would be best, but$$$

/ New farm owners: CUT or UT? #16  
   / New farm owners: CUT or UT? #17  
good morning, guess its dark in NZ! I have a Kioti CK35hst which puts out about 28 hp at the pto, not enough for a Wallenstein BXM42 chipper/shredder. I think 40-50 hp s/b the minimum, but I would stay with a cut. I work the bush and a bigger unit would mean bigger roads, harder to operate in tight places etc. I very selectively log my 150 acres so its a tree here a tree here, no large areas to cut. have fun, Digger!

/ New farm owners: CUT or UT?
Thanks everyone for the advice! As much as I like the look of the new 4R series JDs, it's probably more bells n whistles then we need(i.e., stuff that'll break). Massey would be the only other brand within a reasonable distance from us, but don't know much on how they compare to kubota or JD?

/ New farm owners: CUT or UT? #19  
In my opinion, Massey-Ferguson is the third leg of the top tractor triad: Deere, Kubota, Massey-Ferguson.

There are lots of challengers. After shopping 40 - 50hp tractors at the huge October Sunbelt Ag Expo in Moultie, Georgia, I would say LS and Kioti are "trying harder".

I have a deluxe Kubota 'Grand L' L3560, which come with EVERYTHING standard, except a horn. Each tractor option adds to productivity. If you buy the additional acreage any deluxe tractor package will pay for itself over time and you will be MUCH HAPPIER with the options.

(Some small and mid-size Massey-Fergusons are other brands, re-badged for Massey-Ferguson.)

/ New farm owners: CUT or UT? #20  
I don't know your opinion on Case but the used DX45's are awesome tractors. I looked very closey at buying three but didn't due to on person not liking my offer, one I couldn't get a shipping price from texas and the other was in rough shape. If you can get one with a cab you will love it. As Rickb said, buy once buy right. These Shibauru made Case's are fantastic tractors. And even though I "like" my kubota, if they ever make a dx35 again (the shibaura made one) It will definitely be on my wish list!

A very nice tractor: http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=7925487